Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hm, for me it's not so much uncomfortable as impractical! I'd be happy briefly snuggling up to my partner sitting down in a pub or exchanging the odd kiss. But I find walking along holding hands or with arms wrapped round each other awkward - like a weird 3 legged race attempt.
Full on face slurping in public is a bit over the top for me, it seems like it's done more for other people than for the couple doing it.
I'm really huggy and affectionate with my partner at home but when you're trying to get the shopping or errands done, being trapped in a headlock just adds a layer of impracticality.
Luckily my partner is INTJ :laughing: We march along silently, side by side, the force of our combined steely glare opening up a path through any crowd.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hm, for me it's not so much uncomfortable as impractical! I'd be happy briefly snuggling up to my partner sitting down in a pub or exchanging the odd kiss. But I find walking along holding hands or with arms wrapped round each other awkward - like a weird 3 legged race attempt.
Full on face slurping in public is a bit over the top for me, it seems like it's done more for other people than for the couple doing it.
I'm really huggy and affectionate with my partner at home but when you're trying to get the shopping or errands done, being trapped in a headlock just adds a layer of impracticality.
Luckily my partner is INTJ :laughing: We march along silently, side by side, the force of our combined steely glare opening up a path through any crowd.
HA HA HA wow this was awesome....

I am currently dating another INTP... I am very affectionate... but I am also practical about it... I would have no problem holding someones hand whilst walking, but also ok not doing so... I do however enjoy giving or recieving a random hug or kiss once in a while in public...

for example I was out swimming with my niece and my best friend last weekend, and she (best friend) randomly grabbed and turned me towards her and kissed me... it was random, and it was appropriate to the situation, and it was nice...

·
Registered
207 Posts
My ESTP ex-girlfriend abhorred the very notion that I was uncomfortable with public displays of affection. She'd want public tongue-dancing at times, and my refusal would throw her into a bitch fit. I must've increased my threshold of social "uncomfortability" by at least tenfold at the time, but I am now more appreciative of displays of affection—in general.

Reactions: RoSoDude

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
It makes me cringe, no exaggeration.
holding hands is okay, but it makes me feel literally taken; so I'd rather take them by the arm or something? If that makes sense.

I don't like kissing in public (especially when people try to eat each other). my ex didn't like it, he would try to shove me against the wall every day after school and I'd just be like DUDE STOP. he thought I did it out of love... delusional bird.

a lot of it depends on how it comes off as, or the "vibe" between them - if it's sexual or playful, or a nice combination of both. some couples act like good friends, and play physically with each other, then kiss a part of their face or something; that's cute. ^__~

·
Registered
71 Posts
It really depends. I draw the line at tongue action and beyond, but if we're just out and not trying to do anything, I enjoy walking with is arm around me. I even worked out an efficient and comfortable way to walk so that we have our arms around each other without getting in each other's way. Quick and playful kisses are ok, but anything that would cause me to think "Get a room" if it is was another couple is definitely out.

But then, I really enjoy Touch as a sensation, and it's the best way which I can express love, or comfort, or pain. Luckily, my bf is the same way, so it works out for us.

(I highly recommend the Five Love Languages. It's a good read and added on to things learned from the Myers-Briggs helps with a whole other layer of relationships.)

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Mine didn't ..... or did she?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Holding hands while walking is definitely not an option for me, :/. I don't mind making out in public if its a dark enclosed sort of environment such as a club of some sort. I generally don't do it, I have before a few times though.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Actually, I'm the one who was uncomfortable with it. My INTP boyfriend is always reaching for my hand under (or over) the table, in the car regardless of other passengers, kissing me passionately in the hallways, etc. And get him drunk? Oh man. He is the cuddliest thing.

I've made an effort to be more comfortable instead of telling him to cut it out all that time, because honestly? Under my embarrassment I find it quite touching. I would much rather cringe a little than for him to be distant, or ashamed of me.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
My intp and I would get in trouble often in class for being too close to each other. She loved holding my hand in the hallways and so did I.

·
Registered
826 Posts
i got no problems with it in general. i'm usually the cuddly one (i love touching, hugging, holding hands, light kissing, teasing and flirting all the time). but infront of certain people, like family, it's a bit different

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
holding hands is fine, hugging. light cuddling in public is fine. As are quick kisses.

Heavy petting or deep tongue kisses in public is uncomfortable.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It depends on the level of honesty I guess. In other words, are the two people really having a genuine interaction with eachother, or is it a display behavior?
The other day at the park I saw an obvious display that made my spine crawl. There was a middle aged couple walking together, and he had his arm placed around her in (so it seemed) an aggressive manner, and was walking with her and steering her movements. Yucky. His body language was shouting all over the place "She is my property, stay away!"
I used to be in an abusive marriage, so I guess I may be a little sensitized to this. I have a strong aversion to people in a relationship being objectified or controlled in any way.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I like holding hands, and stuff like that. It makes me feel a connection with them. And when I'm with someone that I'm engaged in thinking about, I don't pay attention to other people very much anyway. This is assuming that I like the girl, of course. I don't like it with just anybody.

But I wouldn't like kissing or anything extravagant that would cause people to stare.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Eh...it depends on the situation.

Generally, no...I don't really feel comfortable with public affection. The occasional hand holding or a quick kiss here or there is okay.

But it just doesn't seem practical most of the time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So, 1/3 against PDA, 2/3 for. Based on this (very small and not very random) sample, it would appear that being an INTP and disliking PDA has no correlation.

·
Registered
297 Posts
So, 1/3 against PDA, 2/3 for. Based on this (very small and not very random) sample, it would appear that being an INTP and disliking PDA has no correlation.
Could possibly be strength of functions...
I know that I am 100% I, 80%N, 10%T, 70%P...

maybe my weak T makes me more interested in the cuddly stuff?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts