Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandfather and I often used to have this debate everytime we did the dishes back in the day, before he and my Nan moved to Spain.

"Why don't you put the handle down first?" inquired my grandad when he was watching me put the dishes and cutlery on the draining board beside the sink, "that way the suds slide off the blade and dry further down, and people don't get the taste of washing up liquid in their food, next time they come to use the knife?"

"No because if I did then all the blades would sticking up on the draining board, and if a kid or someone walks by and they aren't watching, they may hurt themselves and when it comes to drying the knifes and putting them away someone might cut their hand when reaching for the handles if they are on the bottom".

My grandfather, tutted and we agreed to disagree on this matter, and even till this day when we are doing the dishes, he'll put the blades up to let them dry and I will leave knifes with the handles up to let them dry.

It struck me as I was doing this last week, how this represents (in a very minor way) how a Thinker, like my pops, might handle (excuse the pun) the situation, and how a Feeler like mmwah, may handle it.

Pops, sacrifices people's comfort and immediate safety (ie not getting stabbed by knifes with their blades exposed in the kitchen) for a long term concern, that people won't taste the cleaning product the next time the knife is used. To me this represents a very Thinker-like way of approaching something as minor and trivial as doing the dishes.

In much the same way as a Thinker may not mince their words, or take particular consideration for how they get their point across with tact when talking to another person, my Grandad didn't necessarily care about whether people hurt themselves picking up the knives safely after they had dried. In both situations comfort and careful tact are not so important as what ultimate goal he is trying to prevent, so it may be argued that as a Thinker he may be more concerned with the ends rather then the means in some respects.

In contrast with how I saw it, yes his idea was a good one, and I wouldn't want anyone to get any harm from using a knife that hadn't been cleaned properly or still had chemicals or what not left on the blade, not nice taste when someone cuts into their Pork chop. However to me it seemed that he wouldn't actually be able to reach that goal because people would end up getting hurt in the process, I mean how would the knife actually be used again, if people couldn't pick it up safely?

One thing I pride myself on being a Feeler, is having a sense of tact, and taking people's feelings into consideration when I want to tell them something, and while I sense that it is better to give people the truth about a particular thing rather than lying, if tact isn't used then the person to who I am communicating may not be open to even listening to what I want to say to them.

1. A Thinker may want to say, "look Bill you suck at playing Football" and

2. a Feeler may say "Bill, it's not that you suck, you just are at early stages yet and with time and experience, you will become a better player"

To me the Thinker approach is more harsh, to the point, and less sugar coated, while the Feeler approach is more like landing safely on a pile of cushions or pillows to make the landing less harsh, especially when giving constructive criticism.

To me my Grandads approach to washing and drying knifes was to the point (pardon the pun) in the expense of safety, while my Grandad saw my approach as being unnecessary and a lot of 'beating around the bush' because people can just 'their sense' and not pick up the knives by the blade.

What are your thoughts? I am aware this is just a very simplistic analogy and I think it's a good one for highlighting surface level Thinker / Feeler differences and it might be of use to some noobies.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
I'm with you on this one but I think there's no F/T split.
I agree Thinkers and Feelers could act the way you put it but it's not bulletproof. Both could prefer to stay silent or the feeler could say something that didn't sound so much like a lie/irritating :tongue:.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Ok. I was interested about how the two of us approached it differently and it reminded me of T and F.
Ok, but I think a Feeler could reason the way your grandpa did, and vice versa. Though maybe the way he said it was Thinker-like, say his tone of voice

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I dunno. It is a good illustration for the difference between T/F and how our preferences impact our decisions. I think it is also an interesting comment on different generations and how they interact--and it gives rise to questions about what was different in people's lives to lead them into making specific decisions.

Early on, I loaded the dishwasher with the knives and the eating end of utensils pointed up. I wanted more exposure to the suds and water during the washing process and I wanted them to dry standing up, much like your grandfather. SWMBO (an ENFP) OTOH, loaded the utensils harum-scaru: up, down, sideways--it didn't matter.

Then one day SWMBO was in a hurry and reached in to pick up some utensil and cut herself on a knife. It wasn't too bad, and she didn't need stitches, but it was painful. I had loaded the dishwasher. After that, I load all utensils down. If someone thinks there is too much of a soap taste on the dishes--they can rinse it off themselves in the sink--I won't be offended. But no one gets hurt on my watch.

SWMBO still loads the washer harum-scarum.

Similarly, when I open a can with a can opener, I always leave a small tab attaching the cut lid to the can. That way when I dispose of the can, I tuck the lid back inside of the can and slightly squeeze the can opening, distorting it so that the lid cannot come back up and out of the can. I formed this habit after cutting myself on a campout where someone had just tossed the can lids into the trash. I picked up the bag to dispose of it and was cut (bled everywhere!).

I think you are on the right track with T/F, but we T types do what makes the most logical sense to us at the time, based on the information currently available. Unless it is some young whippersnapper trying to tell us what to do. Then we may be a little entrenched in our way of doing things. :laughing:

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I've always loaded the knives blades down, because, logically, I like my fingers where they are.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't get it. Why don't you just rinse the soap off the cutlery before you stack it?
haha yeah true. I guess this was if there was still some left on after the rinse, I suppose, I forgot what was said exactly, because it was a long time ago. I wanted to say something that would capture the gist of how we approached it.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
haha yeah true. I guess this was if there was still some left on after the rinse, I suppose, I forgot what was said exactly, because it was a long time ago. I wanted to say something that would capture the gist of how we approached it.
Hehe, yeah I know. It's just that your story was founded on the premise that soap on cutlery is one of life's inevitabilities, and I got stuck on that. I'm an S-type... anyway, don't mind me! :)

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
hahahaha my ISFJ roommate and I argue about the knives thing ALL the time.

I stick it blade up so it dries faster. If anyone's such a moron that they manage to cut yourself, they probably deserve it anyway. You literally would have to swing your arm. Not really likely, unless a ballerina's in the kitchen, or you're trying to slap knives for fun.

The ISFJ on the other hand, says it's "dangerous" and could "hurt" people and her cat if it jumps up there. The day I see a cat that fucking suicidal to actually jump head-on into a bunch of knives is the day I become a YouTube sensation. Though since kitty is owned by my roommate, expect it to be featured on there within a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
How sharp are these knives? I've always had them blade up so the water drips off blade so the important bit dries faster and I've never cut myself.. The bigger sharper knives get laid horizontally on their side though.
I don't know why anyone would act so hastily around knives - sticking their hand in to get a knife quickly?
But I suppose if I lived with someone who kept on cutting themselves time after time then I'd put the knives downwards.

Reactions: niss

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I don't get it. Why don't you just rinse the soap off the cutlery before you stack it?
That's where I thought age/generation would be interesting to discuss. I'd guess grandpa had to conserve water as a youngster (on a farm or whatever) when he was taught how to do the dishes. Rinse water in this situation was used over and over, so standing them up with the blade up to get rid of the soap taste would make more sense.

HTH

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I stick it blade up so it dries faster. If anyone's such a moron that they manage to cut yourself, they probably deserve it anyway. You literally would have to swing your arm. Not really likely, unless a ballerina's in the kitchen, or you're trying to slap knives for fun.

I guess it makes a difference when someone you care deeply about gets hurt. No, she didn't swing her arm. She reached in to get another utensil and didn't see the knife because it was pointed directly at her. We are not talking table knives here...more like a steak knife or a paring knife.

HTH

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I guess it makes a difference when someone you care deeply about gets hurt. No, she didn't swing her arm. She reached in to get another utensil and didn't see the knife because it was pointed directly at her. We are not talking table knives here...more like a steak knife or a paring knife.
Hey, it happens. My mother stabbed her palm very badly, on a knife which was sticking out of the drying rack. She has poor vision, you see, which is not uncommon.

That's where I thought age/generation would be interesting to discuss. I'd guess grandpa had to conserve water as a youngster (on a farm or whatever) when he was taught how to do the dishes. Rinse water in this situation was used over and over, so standing them up with the blade up to get rid of the soap taste would make more sense.
True, true. And grandpas sure can be set in their ways. :) My grandfather is exactly the same way, but he's an F-type.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts