Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Given that this is a personality forum. I'd expect most people here to be into psychology.

But I'm kind of interested in whether people know of other ISFJs who aren't into this sort of thing. I would have figured that being a people-person, ISFJs would naturally be into the idea of understanding and studying other people.

But this might just be an assumption. What are their attitude's like towards it?

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
I dont know any other real life ISFJs (that im aware of) but i find psychology and sociology fascinating! For me its about relating well with others and im also into other languages for this reason, if i can communicate with people then we are that much closer.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
My ISFJ hubby is not very interested in psychology. There might be some cases in which he might find some aspects of some psychology a bit interesting. But I think that's still as much "not interested" as anyone could be.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Of the other 4 I know in real life only 2 have shown any interest in psychology (or at least personality theory) and both of those were only interested in order to find out what type they are. They don't care what that means on a deeper level and aren't interested in discussing it with me. I find it endlessly fascinating but they really don't care at all. They do care about people in a big way but finding out how people tick just doesn't cross their radar.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My ISFJ hubby is not very interested in psychology. There might be some cases in which he might find some aspects of some psychology a bit interesting. But I think that's still as much "not interested" as anyone could be.
I know four. Only one of them is even remotely interested in social science (sociology, specifically). In a hilarious stereotype reversal, the one I live with studies microbiology and physics, whereas I study psychology.
Interesting. Do you mind telling me what they usually think of psychology as a subject? Do they see it as inaccurate? impractical etc?

On a side-note, that reminds me of an INFJ friend I have who isn't too keen on psychology (although she's excellent at reading people) because she doesn't like the idea of analysing emotions/personality and putting them into a model.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of the other 4 I know in real life only 2 have shown any interest in psychology (or at least personality theory) and both of those were only interested in order to find out what type they are. They don't care what that means on a deeper level and aren't interested in discussing it with me. I find it endlessly fascinating but they really don't care at all. They do care about people in a big way but finding out how people tick just doesn't cross their radar.
Hmm. When I think about it this way... I could see how there'd be many people who care for others, but not all to interested in the general idea of finding out what makes people tick. Yet, at the same time, it seems odd to not be interested in something that would give greater insight on how to care for people? (not sure if that makes sense...)

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Interesting. Do you mind telling me what they usually think of psychology as a subject? Do they see it as inaccurate? impractical etc?
I think it's partly because he sees it as impractical...or bs... or impossible... he doesn't like to analyse poeple a lot... guess he might fear to spoil the harmony... rather wants to keep up good and/or superficial views about people so he wouldn't ahve to worry too much... This is probably greatly influenced by the fact that he's an Enneagram 9.

Reactions: MilkyWay132

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
The only reason I'm not into psychology is doing it as a career. I'm not always one to make certain person feel better. It's very situational depending on my experience. I wouldn't want someone to PAY me to help them out either.

Now to figure out why a person behaved the way he or she did, I don't take "just because" as an answer.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I know of only one other ISFJ and she isn't all that interested in psychology. At least, I'm pretty sure she isn't. I like psychology, but, I don't think that I would study it in school or anything like that. I love MBTI though.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My ISFJ wife is not into psychology at all. I went to university for a degree in it! She has pretty much no interest in really any kind of study or science. She is very involved in family and her own activities, though. She can be quite analytical in relationship stuff, but she relies on her feelings and judgement, or advice from family, rather than actively researching through books for information.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
My best friend is an ISFJ and this MBTI stuff doesn't interest him.

He accepts what I tell him, and he often asks, which type is best for his type. I just give him reassurance, that yes, there are women who like male ISFJ's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not 100% sure I'm an ISFJ... but I think I am. And I actually really don't like a majority of psychology. I like some of it, some of the time. I like what I can actually see happening, if that makes sense. If it's psychology that I'll never actually use/relate to real life/see for myself, it doesn't interest me.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Me and my ISFJ friend both are interested in at least some psychology :) I find how people work to be very interesting.

·
Banned
2,886 Posts
I thought I loved Psychology. However, after taking it in college (presently actually), I find it's really a very complicated science. It's a bit overwhelming to take an introductory course with all the science and anatomy and complicated brain functions. Thankfully, the instructor doesn't expect to fully understand all of these things in GREAT detail. Ultimately, I don't like psychology as much as I'd thought.

I do like the more theory-based psychology like Jungian, personality, or even Freudian theories...those fascinate me. Even some of the experiments and things found out about everyday life through psychology. I guess I find it's exhausting to learn about all the science and the names of the cells in the the eye and how they connect to the brain. I will acknowledge its importance though, I just don't care to remember all that information. It's important to consider all sides of the science to fully understand things. I guess I'll say I like certain parts of psych more than others.

Reactions: MilkyWay132
1 - 16 of 16 Posts