Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The Doer King
13,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one of the members had written a blog post on her disgust at people insulting Korean actresses by calling them dumb. How many people on this forum have ever seen a K-drama? I was introduced to them by my girlfriend about 10 months ago and I watch them all the time now. There is just something about them that hooks me. I think what gets me is the odd culture mixing in Korea. They are a very mainstream society similar to most western countries but they are also very traditional. For instance dating and public display of affection is still very conservative compared to western standards. On the other side, they are very into labels and what's in and plastic surgery is rampant.

The courting process seems to be very drawn out and a simple kiss has profound meaning for couples. Sex is near nonexistent in the dramas. The only drama I have watched where there was sex was The Coffee Prince. You didn't see it but you knew it happened. That drama also touched on homosexuality which is very taboo.

I'm not sure if this is a cultural thing or not but it seems like the majority of the dramas I watch revolve around food. Could be my imagination though :happy:

So my top 5 are (in no particular order):

Coffee Prince
My Lovely Sam-Soon
Delightful Girl Choon Hyang
Witch Yoo-hee
Past
When It's At Night

I should mention the common theme of K-drama is the love triangle. I'm sure 90% or more involve 2 men and 2 women and one of the 4 is always on the outside looking in and eventually cause a lot of shit. Other themes are:

Someone is always rich
Ja jang myeon is nearly always mentioned (tastes great by the way)
Seem to be a cooking theme in many series
Theme music is pretty repetitive (like too much)
Koreans have an amazing ability to cry on cue
Karaoke
Soju, soju, soju

So anyone else out there a fan?? Discuss!

Reactions: Philathea

·
Registered
ESFJ
642 Posts
I enjoy Korean (and Japanese...probably another topic?) dramas quite a lot!

Que Sera Sera
New Wise Mother, Good Wife
My Fair Lady (although I didn't get to finish since the video links were broken -_-)
Iljimae (didn't get to finish either)

Plus movies like:

A Moment to Remember
Hansel and Gretal
My Little Bride

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm not exactly a fan of Korean dramas. I think I watch them because I'm more interested in the pretty Korean actresses than the story line. :-X

I liked My Sassy Girl but that was a movie. Watched Princess Hours but found it too draggy and long-winded, although I can see why many people like it. There were others that I've watched but none worthy of mention.

So...yeah :) Korean actresses are HOT though <3

·
Registered
771 Posts
the only K-Drama i like is Autumn Tale and Dae Jang Geum, other than that they all get repetitive. and the historical ones are betther then the one in mordern settings.

on the other hand, I prefer Jp drama. shomuni, GTO, and all those detective series. Tokyo love story is nice too... I like Yuji Orida when i saw it as a kid.... Gawd :confused:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I love Korean dramas! I love the storyline even if is similar in most dramas, I guess I like sort of Cinderella story's or something.There is just something about Asian dramas that I just love, it gets me hooked and I just fall in love with them... I am one of those hopeless romantic people I guess. I just love the feeling that they give me and stuff. They make me cry so much and I love it. I love to feel the emotional connection.

I love the humor, I love the drama, I love the story, I love the crying, I love the food, the clothes and just everything.

I don't watch western shows like everyone else I just watch Asian Dramas... and Doctor Who!

my top five
Goong.
You're Beautiful.
Why Why Love.
Devil Beside You.
God of Study.
My Girl.

and oh yeah, I cried buckets over them all! :proud: expecially Goong, Why Why Love and God of Study.

·
The Doer King
13,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't watch western shows like everyone else I just watch Asian Dramas... and Doctor Who!

my top five
Goong.
You're Beautiful.
Why Why Love.
Devil Beside You.
God of Study.
My Girl.

and oh yeah, I cried buckets over them all! :proud: expecially Goong, Why Why Love and God of Study.
Dr Who rocks :wink:

My Girl was ok but it took me a long time to get through it. There just wasn't any originality in it. I saw Goong S but not Goong. I will give it a watch sometime in the future.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Dr Who rocks :wink:

My Girl was ok but it took me a long time to get through it. There just wasn't any originality in it. I saw Goong S but not Goong. I will give it a watch sometime in the future.
WATCH GOONG it is amazing! and yeah, Doctor Who rocks

·
Registered
18 Posts
I love watching these things. I know that there are two period (medieval?) dramas that show up on my TV at home in Philly. I can't differentiate between the two but I love watching them, anyhow.

·
Registered
335 Posts
i can't bear 99% of the drama but Korea makes some very good thriller and horror films. i like the actresses, god they're beautiful! however, i can't tell the difference :frustrating: like i always say 'isn't she in the last film we saw?', my other half says 'no, that's someone else.' lol it's true. beautiful Korean actresses :crazy:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'm not a big fan of it. I find that most of them have similar storyline or repetitive. Does anyone notice that a nosebleed = cancer in Korean dramas?
Are you talking about that they are always getting cancer... please, that is so old! Don't you also think that they all end up as brothers and sisters too.

I have watched tons of Koreans dramas and there are not everybody who dies of cancer in them -_- I have watched kdramas where no one dies of cancer and sometimes no one in the drama gets cancer :0 OMONA what is happening!!! :frustrating::dry::angry:

·
Registered
953 Posts
Snow Queen (I'd have to say this is my favourite Korean drama...)
Bad Guy
Unstoppable High Kick and High Kick Through the Roof
My Lovely Sam Soon
Iris
Tazza

... There are a few that I never finished watching like My Girl, Iljimae and Personal Taste. Also, there were a few that I couldn't continue watching like I'm Sam, Playful Kiss, You are Beautiful and BOF... I just couldn't continue after viewing the first episode...:sad:

Reactions: TreeBob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can't stand most Korean dramas for the same reasons I can't stand most television shows but my favorites are Dae Jang Geum, Hwang Jin Yi, and Thank You.

I wished more people watched HJY since it has some of the best character development ("Characters actually acting on their motives? Wow, what's that?") Korean drama has to offer.

The Painter of the Wind makes honorable mention for showcasing Korean painting and ambiguous sexuality.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
I've only seen Coffee Prince, great drama...until the last few episodes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
winter sonata was depressing as hell man...

I used to watch a lot of Korean dramas, but for the past 3 years I've stopped watchin them or korean movies. I should really get back to that; they were so entertaining.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I wished more people watched HJY since it has some of the best character development ("Characters actually acting on their motives? Wow, what's that?") Korean drama has to offer.
I need to get back on that one... watched the first 12 episodes or something and then I stopped for some reason. I need to go back and watch it. I cried so much over that drama, or the little that I watched.

Reactions: TreeBob
1 - 19 of 19 Posts