Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to start adding type boxes for heavy metal artists in the style of CelebrityTypes. I'm interested in covering the entire genre of the music style, from traditional bands to extreme bands to modern bands. All typings will go in this thread.

Some important notes:

- These typings will not be based on song lyrics. This is misleading and inaccurate for a multitude of reasons. Rather, the typings will be based on interviews, personal writings, etc. - because personality types should be based on personality.

- It is possible that I will alter/revise a typing. If you disagree with one of my typings, please be respectful and explain your disagreement using facts and reasoning. I am not likely to be swayed by arguments based solely on cognitive functions (which are highly theoretical and unsupported by evidence), but am likely to be swayed by sourced facts and/or quotes, either from the artist himself/herself or from those who knew the artist.

- Please do not insult or attack any artists/musicians in this thread. Create a thread of your own if you want to do that, ranting all you want about how much you "hate Fe-Si." Respect differences in opinion. Also, I ask that the age-old "what bands are(n't) metal" argument stay out of this thread.

- I welcome everyone to suggest new artists for me to type, as well as suggest potential types for that artist. Discussion is great! But, again, please keep it civil.

So, without further ado, let's begin. First off, we have Ted Nugent. There were so many quotes to choose from I had to unhappily cut several so that they'd fit in his box.

Attachments

·
Banned
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another favorite: Chuck Schuldiner of Death (May he rest in peace). It was hard to choose between INFP and ISFP, but he seems quite down to earth and grounded, which made me choose ISFP.

·
Banned
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
James Hetfied is ISTP to end all ISTP's
Interesting. Admittedly, I don't know much about Metallica. He comes across to me as more of an extrovert, though obviously I could be wrong. Any reason in particular you think he's an introvert?

·
Banned
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another one. This one might be more controversial (I've seen all sorts of typings for this guy), but having read his autobiography, this one makes the most sense, IMHO.

·
Banned
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fairly certain Eddie Trunk is an ESFJ. Watching That Metal Show, he seems equal parts serious and compassionate. He's very methodical in his approach to interviews, but maintains a sense of openness with a desire to bring people together. He's not a visionary or abstract thinker - his answers to listener questions on his radio show are very much guided by the facts, by the things of which he is certain, and he uses his near-encyclopedic knowledge of heavy metal history to educate viewers/listeners.

He also (very carefully) criticized Janick Gers for goofing off too much on stage, so there's that.

·
Banned
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Ronnie James Dio: INFJ. I think.

Admittedly, I still am pretty unsure of this one. It was between this and IS-J. I've seen him typed as INFP, which is possible, I guess, but there are certain things he has said that make me pretty sure he's a J type. One of the key quotes is from this interview, wherein he says this:

My attitude has always been that my bands have always been democracies with a dictator at the head because there always has to be a person who says yes or a person who says no. Otherwise you’re just like one of those little toys that bounces into the wall, backs up and then bounces back into the wall again. I just think that’s really unproductive.
Which is highly indicative of a preference for structure, organization, and action. I-TP? Possibly, but pretty much everyone around him said that he was, for the most part, a very kind person (although he would sometimes break and lose his temper).

Interestingly, Dio did have narcissistic tendencies. Now, before all of the metalheads reading this unsheath their keyboards, hear me out. On his initial falling out with Black Sabbath, he had this to say:

When it comes time for the vocal, nobody tells me what to do. Nobody! Because they're not as good as me, so I do what I want to do.
While what he said is certainly not untrue (after all, he was and is the greatest heavy metal vocalist of all time), it still doesn't exactly fit with the image of the humble, selfless man we're accustomed to seeing. His attitude of bands being democracies with dictators (a sentiment he repeated in multiple interviews) is actually very similar to that of Marilyn Manson (INFJ). Although I cannot find the interview now, Manson did at one point stress the importance of band members being "obedient" in the creative process. Also like Manson, Dio's goal with "Heaven and Hell" to show that good and evil lie in all things may have in part inspired Manson's same comparisons in his own band's music.

In other words, Dio was a compassionate man with a strong vision and a fierce drive to implement it. While he did hold an appreciation for Italian tradition and culture (reminiscent of an SJ type), I think that the INFJ type fits him best. But I am well open to other arguments, if they are backed up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts