Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ENTJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna devote a thread to him separate from the Star Wars threads.

He's the most interesting villain in recent memory, but to me maybe all time.

What do you think he is? INFP? ENFP? ESFP? Some other?

·
Registered
385 Posts
That title needs a few more exclamation marks. At first I read it as having three, probably because I enthusiastically agree with this viewpoint so my mind just filled in two more.

Anyway, I don't have anything to say about what type to give him, so this reply is pretty much useless besides me just wanting to say how much I agree about him being a great character.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Other claims-

INFJ - infj door slam

INTP - unhealthy

ISTP - obviously still not healthy

I thought his intrigue of the "force bond" him and rey had was a good example of possible Ti use from him. He was curious how it worked, while Rey just was emotional and wanted to kill him. He was pretty calm and more interested in how it worked or what it meant, why it was connecting them

But I haven't looked too deeply yet, but me as a Ti user would have the same intrigued reaction to it wondering what it meant or how it worked.

--

I do find him interesting as a villain I agree! But a lot of stuff in the movie could've been done better.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Other claims-

INFJ - infj door slam

INTP - unhealthy

ISTP - obviously still not healthy

I thought his intrigue of the "force bond" him and rey had was a good example of possible Ti use from him. He was curious how it worked, while Rey just was emotional and wanted to kill him. He was pretty calm and more interested in how it worked or what it meant, why it was connecting them

But I haven't looked too deeply yet, but me as a Ti user would have the same intrigued reaction to it wondering what it meant or how it worked.
I thought the other way. He was interested in the potential of him and Rey having a bond. While Rey more realized that this is dangerous and leads nowhere. She was past that at that point killing him.

Anyway I thought he was INFP after Force Unleashed but now I am more in the ENFP camp. That whole "kill the past and let everybody die" thing seems very inferior Si to me.
And the scene where he realizes that he can just kill the supreme leader and be the supreme leader himself reeks of Ne awareness of potential.
An Ni won't be so fully aware of a situation's possible outcome and act on it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I thought the other way. He was interested in the potential of him and Rey having a bond. While Rey more realized that this is dangerous and leads nowhere. She was past that at that point killing him.

Anyway I thought he was INFP after Force Unleashed but now I am more in the ENFP camp. That whole "kill the past and let everybody die" thing seems very inferior Si to me.
And the scene where he realizes that he can just kill the supreme leader and be the supreme leader himself reeks of Ne awareness of potential.
An Ni won't be so fully aware of a situation's possible outcome and act on it.
No doubt he saw potential in them .. as his apprentice, for quite a while.

Dominant Ti (his inquisitiveness)
Auxilary Se (lack of forethought when it comes to in the moment battles)
Tertiary Ni (his goal to not only finish what vader started but to rule with rey against snoke, and that was the only goal he really had... so when she denied it, it was .. a bit of a mess for him. Totally unexpected it seems.)
Inferior Fe (unhealthy) is shown in his obvious tantrums

But ENFP is possibly as he does have an.. unhealthy connection to his past, viewing it in a negative light. It's just that everyone views him as a Feeler of any type, and unhealthy thinkers can look even more like feelers especially when it's underdeveloped. He thinks in a very detached manner about people really. He doesn't seem to view them beyond their purposes often here for whatever his ambitions are. From the moment he met Rey in the woods, he knew the potential in Rey (for his goal to possibly overthrow snoke together and rule)

Rey, an apparent feeler, saw potential good in kylo ren. Kylo ren saw potential for his plan which I believe he started to conjure up when he discovered her existence.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Nahh the ginger is more my type ~

Is Kylo even a villain... I mean... I never counted Anakin as a villain either, just confused and slightly tragic. Whereas the imperial/FO officers at least have conviction in their misguidedness, which I can respect. (Snoke though... lmao. No.)

For Kylo, the best and most consistent typing I have seen was ISFJ. It just is a really nice typing for him. I thought about it the other day but forgot to write the reasoning down in its entirety so I'll get back to you later. The person who originally did the typing relied too heavily on the view of SJs as "slavish" but I'll aspire to rise above that nonsense.

·
Registered
987 Posts
After Force Awakens, I thought he was a hilariously unhealthy INFP. In this last movie he was so detached that I started questioning my original assessment, and now can't decide if he's an unhealthy INFP or some variety of T (with low Fe blinding tantrums).

@DOGSOUP Kylo is definitely a villain. He is waaaay too trigger-happy to be anything but (if killing Solo wasn't enough, his quick conclusions regarding Luke and his slaughter of the other Jedi students were the nail in the coffin). After this last movie, I wouldn't believe a redemption arc.

·
Banned
8,898 Posts
Nahh the ginger is more my type ~
Is it because of the hair, or because he's possibly some manner of Beta ST.

For Kylo, the best and most consistent typing I have seen was ISFJ. It just is a really nice typing for him. I thought about it the other day but forgot to write the reasoning down in its entirety so I'll get back to you later. The person who originally did the typing relied too heavily on the view of SJs as "slavish" but I'll aspire to rise above that nonsense.
I'll be waiting.

I confess I came around to liking Kylo Ren, but then I also confess I have a weakness for brokenness.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Kylo is one of the most pathetic individuals I've seen on the big screen and he's not well-written enough to make up for it.

I wonder if he can even be typed... Does he even display enough consistency in his cognitive processes (in other words, can you give him one type now that wouldn't require mental gymnastics to explain how it fits his past behaviour)?

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
No doubt he saw potential in them .. as his apprentice, for quite a while.

Dominant Ti (his inquisitiveness)
Auxilary Se (lack of forethought when it comes to in the moment battles)
Tertiary Ni (his goal to not only finish what vader started but to rule with rey against snoke, and that was the only goal he really had... so when she denied it, it was .. a bit of a mess for him. Totally unexpected it seems.)
Inferior Fe (unhealthy) is shown in his obvious tantrums

Rey, an apparent feeler, saw potential good in kylo ren. Kylo ren saw potential for his plan which I believe he started to conjure up when he discovered her existence.
Funny how people see it differently.
I think Rey is a Thinker but that's another story.

As for Kylo: "He thinks in a very detached manner about people really."
It is because he's a psychopath. It's what makes him a villain really in the first place.

But this: "lack of forethought when it comes to in the moment battles"
is not good. A Ti-Se will anything but lack forethought in a battle. A Ti-Se won't do anything until it's thought out in a precise manner and it's achievable.
Have you seen the recent Sherlock Holmes movies played by Robert Downey Jr? It's like that how ISTPs think ahead. One blow on the knee, one blow to the ear..etc.
If you mean general recklessness, that can be attributed to Se but hardly to ISTPs. (more like ESTPs, ESFPs, maybe ISFPs...)

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kylo is one of the most pathetic individuals I've seen on the big screen and he's not well-written enough to make up for it.

I wonder if he can even be typed... Does he even display enough consistency in his cognitive processes (in other words, can you give him one type now that wouldn't require mental gymnastics to explain how it fits his past behaviour)?
ENFP for me fits.

·
Banned
8,898 Posts
Your hostility, lol.

Anyway, yes, and I'd argue that's what draws in some people, especially because they can always make up for the deficiencies in the story-telling with their own imaginings and projections.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Technically speaking, yes.
What doesn't make him villainous? He kills his own father, almost his mother, he wouldn't have hesitated to kill Luke and thousands of others, he wants to erase everybody from his past..

He's a full-fledged villain.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I think in the first film he was an emo knee-jerk brat, but in the second film he comes into his own, in terms of knowing / seizing what he wants, offering a much stronger presence and motive for his behaviors, and in keeping better control over his emotions.

I tend to think EP of some sort, but I've only seen the second film once -- need to watch them back to back to settle on a solid idea of his type.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hate to be ''that guy'', but could this have not been included in the already massive Star Wars thread?
It could but it would have stolen the spotlight from other characters - as it happened many times.
And I wanted a separate thread since I think he deserved it after two movies.
And as you say, it was already a massive thread. With many characters from many movies and there isn't a single The Last Jedi thread (only Force Awakens) which can be the main source for typing Kylo.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Kylo is definitely a villain. He is waaaay too trigger-happy to be anything but (if killing Solo wasn't enough, his quick conclusions regarding Luke and his slaughter of the other Jedi students were the nail in the coffin). After this last movie, I wouldn't believe a redemption arc.
The director, Rian Johnson, disagrees with you.

But when pressed whether he himself thinks Kylo Ren is potentially redeemable, Johnson shrugged and laughed, "Yeah." After all, the last Skywalker who fell to the Dark Side was saved in the end.

"Are you kidding? Vader was worse than Kylo ever was, I think, and Vader got redeemed," Johnson said. "Also, I should just for the record [say] that I’m not involved in the writing of the next movie. I’m an audience member in it, just like you, so when I talk about what’s going to happen next it’s in the context of, as a fan, what I’m thinking of." -
Star Wars: The Last Jedi Director on Luke Skywalker's Greatest Temptation to the Dark Side - IGN

Also, are we missing the fact that Luke said in the film, "No one's really ever gone." in response to Leia despairing and thinking her son was lost to the dark side forever? Snoke chiding him for having too much of his father's heart in him?

It is because he's a psychopath. It's what makes him a villain really in the first place.
He's not a psychopath. Hux is more likely the psychopath, not him. I say likely because I'm not nearly as well-versed on Hux's character as I am on KR's.

KR/BS is a neglected (by Leia and Han, as well-meaning as they were) and abused (by Snoke) individual whose own uncle very nearly tried to kill him and was preyed upon by someone (again, Snoke) who wanted to lure him away from his family and to the dark side from birth.

Source, TFA Novelization:

Leia bit her lower lip, refusing to concede. “No. It was Snoke.”

Han drew back slightly. “Snoke?”

She nodded. “He knew our child would be strong with the Force. That he was born with equal potential for good or evil.”

“You knew this from the beginning? Why didn’t you tell me?”

She sighed. “Many reasons. I was hoping that I was wrong, that it wasn’t true. I hoped I could sway him, turn him away from the dark side, without having to involve you.” A small smile appeared.

“You had—you have—wonderful qualities, Han, but patience and understanding were never among them. I was afraid that your reactions would only drive him farther to the dark side. I thought I could shield him from Snoke’s influence and you from what was happening.” Her voice dropped. “It’s clear now that I was wrong. Whether your involvement would have made a difference, we’ll never know.”

He had trouble believing what he was hearing. “So Snoke was watching our son.”

“Always,” she told him. “From the shadows, in the beginning, even before I realized what was happening, he was manipulating everything, pulling our son toward the dark side."

and a quote from this article:

Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Adam Driver has confirmed that evil mask-wearing tyrant Kylo Ren turned to the dark side after being neglected by his parents Leia Organa and Han Solo.

Interviewed for the DVD release of JJ Abrams’ blockbuster space opera reboot, Driver said he imagined the young Ben Solo being lured into evil after struggling to cope with his nascent Force powers.

“If you really imagine the stakes of him, in his youth, having all these special powers and having your parents kind of be absent during that process on their own agendas, [being] equally as selfish,” said the Girls star. “He’s lost in the world that he was raised in, and feels that he was kind of abandoned by the people that he’s closest with. He’s angry because of that, I think, and he has a huge grudge on his shoulders.”

“It’s more than just having a ‘bad seed’ as a kid,” he said. “Snoke had targeted this kid and knew that this kid was going to be incredibly powerful in The Force and wanted him as an ally.

“So this mother and father had a target as a son, someone who’s watching their boy, and these parents aren’t there enough to guide him.”
- https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/apr/06/adam-driver-kylo-ren-star-wars-force-awakens-documentary

I'm also going to throw in this commentary from JJ Abrams (and again, the novelization) about him killing his father:

As he states in the snippet above, Abrams never thought of Kylo Ren as always intending to murder his father the moment Han walks out onto the gangway—although he does acknowledge that usually, when someone in Star Wars meets another person on a tight gangway miles above a giant chasm, it usually ends poorly. But interestingly he notes that it was intended that Ren is nearly convinced by his father’s pleas to turn back on Snoke, it’s just that he’s too afraid to admit to himself that he’s made a bad decision, so he chooses to kill Han in an attempt to re-convince himself. As The Force Awakens’ novelization revealed last year, it didn’t exactly help the young man too much:

Following through on the act ought to have made him stronger, a part of him believed. Instead, he found himself weakened.
- https://io9.gizmodo.com/j-j-abrams-explains-the-emotions-behind-the-force-awak-1787898626

Plus wasn't it Snoke who wanted him to kill Han in the first place? I doubt Snoke would have been understanding if he had decided not to kill him.

Some commentary from Adam Driver:

But even though he did some very nasty things — not least of which was bumping off his old man in the dramatic finale — there was a lingering questions of whether the tortured man in black was indeed all bad and was he constantly battling his better instincts.

“My costume was a testament to that,” says Driver. “The idea of someone hiding and why were they hiding and what was the image they were trying to project against who they actually are?”
- Category: | Herald Sun

This next one is taken from a Japanese interview, so I'm trusting in the translation of the person who translated this.

Surprisingly this is the first time Driver is playing someone younger than himself. In terms of the development of the story, Kylo’s “youth” is very important. “It is an underlying element of the script.”

Driver: “His youthfulness is not lost in Rian’s script. Kylo Ren’s ideas further take shape. Almost like a religious fever. And he wants to believe that he is doing the right thing. I think Darth Vader was a villain who was completely certain on which path he ought to take. Kylo Ren is a character who we get a glimpse at having both determination, uncertainty, and fragility, so yes, perhaps you could say he is a new type of ‘villain’ within the world of [Star Wars]. Even now he is going through an inner battle within himself which continues to unfold.
- https://sleemo.tumblr.com/post/168270289517/getnewsjp-kylo-ren-the-last-jedi

“I never thought of him as a villain at all — even when we were doing the first one,” he says. “Because what does that really mean? People don’t think of themselves as being the villain, they think of themselves as being right. When people feel they’re morally justified, there’s no end to the things they’ll do. That’s more dangerous and much more exciting.” - taken from a cover story from Empire magazine. https://sleemo.tumblr.com/post/168015311282/a-preview-of-empires-cover-story-which-is-out

Might as well address the "Was Kylo Ren lying to Rey at that particular moment?" question while I'm at it:

"I think that Kylo feels that he's telling the truth, and I feel that Rey believes him in that moment," Johnson said, choosing his words carefully. "I don't think that he's playing chess there. I think that this is something that he genuinely saw, and genuinely believes that because of this connection [they share], basically. It's less like, 'I can use this on her.' It's more, 'Oh my god, we have this in common, this is more of a kindred spirit that even she realizes.'" - https://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/rey-the-last-jedi?utm_term=.vnzOkYzRe#.smaqLrZ2Q

"We have this in common" as in, both Rey and Ren have these wounds of abandonment at the center of them. And that's not all they have in common. There are more parallels if you look and think about it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I like Kylo Ren too, but who I really love is - Adam Driver. The minute I saw him in the HBO series Girls, I knew he was something special. I'll admit, I'm an acting snob. I love good acting. I wonder if Adam Driver wasn't playing Kylo Ren, would we like the character as much? If you're into him, check out Girls and enjoy some good acting.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts