Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is as big of a problem with our type than it might be with Ne-doms like ENFPs, but are there any infps that have goals that change everyday? As in, is life a pendulum between ambition and relaxation? It seems impossible to choose one.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I can completely relate to this. Sometimes I feel like I am the least ambitious/competitive person on the planet, but then there are times where I am driven to do best at something or I want something to be absolutely perfect. Perfection becomes my ambition.

I don't think that it is necessary to choose between ambition and relaxation. I have found that my best work comes from a place of relaxation, meaning that when am not putting pressure on myself to do something great or perfect, I perform better and somehow meet my ambitions. Somehow the two seem to feed into each other.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I can completely relate to this. Sometimes I feel like I am the least ambitious/competitive person on the planet, but then there are times where I am driven to do best at something or I want something to be absolutely perfect. Perfection becomes my ambition.

I don't think that it is necessary to choose between ambition and relaxation. I have found that my best work comes from a place of relaxation, meaning that when am not putting pressure on myself to do something great or perfect, I perform better and somehow meet my ambitions. Somehow the two seem to feed into each other.
Exactly. Following instincts has really been the best way to go for me. When I try to choose an activity (even relaxing ones), but aren't feeling up it, the activity feels fake and unsatisfying.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I too bounce from goal to goal, and neither am I ambitious about many things. I follow my personal instincts as much as possible, I don't just blow off obligations, but if theres no reason not to indulge myself then I do so. Within this system I've managed to accomplish much, and the exploratory nature in which I live has helped me discover talents and interests I never would have found in a more structured life, so its worked well for me.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Hmmm I do actually feel this way a decent bit. I tend to 'work' in really high extreme bits of energy like drawing for 16 hours a day for 2 months straight and then become overwhelmed and literally just veg out for a month not doing shit the whole time but recuperating

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
No, I have an internal consistency that has nothing to do with fleeting moods and indulgences, which do have a pulll on me. I recognize that taking a day off to lay by the pool doesnt make me lazy about meeting goals, but it can mean I am honoring my emotional and physical needs for rest and relaxation.

I think valuation is complex, in that something can be more significant in the moment, but less significant in the long-run, and it's a matter of discerning whether the decision of the moment will affect the outcome in the long-run. Much of the time, it doesnt, which is why lots of stuff others fret over, I may let slide. I dont neccessarily reason on it that way, but I just "know", and I think that is more intuition than feeling. For instance, when I was in school, Id miss class a lot, because I just didnt want to go. I still graduated with a high gpa. Most will tell you that to reach certain results, then you must follow a certain path of hardwork, but I always trusted my ingenuity over linear efforts. So its not always that Ive abandoned a goal, but I dont buy that there is one standard way of meeting it.

I don't really have concrete goals anyway, or at least, by nature I dont readily set specific goals, although that is changing with age. I tend to explore options and let the ideal emerge in time, and I think this "follow your instincts" approach is the effect of Pe (specifically Ne). But the ideal and the valuations it's upholding has a consistency. If a goal is set and then changed, then its because I see that it is not ideal afterall. Its undortunate that this doesnt always emerge immediately. But the upside is when something unexpectedly emerges that is positive, and then you're glad you didnt have blinders on and were flexible enough to stumble into a happy accident.

In short, I can relate to what you are saying, but I dont call it inconsistency.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts