Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I frequently discover how awful my memory about a bit more distant past is. To give you some examples, I hardly remember anything from my school years (I'm in my early thirties). I remember full names of just two people I went to primary school with. Apart from that maybe 3 first names, but not more. It's actually even worse with the people I went to high school and university with. True, I moved a lot and my environment changed totally a few times, but those years are almost blank in my memory. I don't remember names of any teachers, although I do remember some of them.

It's similar with my former colleagues. I remember some characteristic behaviors but I don't remember hardly any names and wouldn't recognize most people if I saw them.

The same happens to the men I used to meet for several dates or even longer. I've already been in the situation that someone approached me and I didn't recognize him. I don't remember even the names of the guys I was intimate with, although the list of the men I was intimate with is short.

Do you have that too or are you different in this respect?

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I am terrible at names and always have been. I am better at recognizing people, but if they are out of context and I haven't seen them recently, I'm in trouble.

On the other hand, I can describe, in detail, the layout and colors from every room in every house that I have ever lived in, from the age of 3 to present. My memory is very visual, and maybe I forget names because I can't see them.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I frequently discover how awful my memory about a bit more distant past is. To give you some examples, I hardly remember anything from my school years (I'm in my early thirties). I remember full names of just two people I went to primary school with. Apart from that maybe 3 first names, but not more. It's actually even worse with the people I went to high school and university with. True, I moved a lot and my environment changed totally a few times, but those years are almost blank in my memory. I don't remember names of any teachers, although I do remember some of them.

It's similar with my former colleagues. I remember some characteristic behaviors but I don't remember hardly any names and wouldn't recognize most people if I saw them.

The same happens to the men I used to meet for several dates or even longer. I've already been in the situation that someone approached me and I didn't recognize him. I don't remember even the names of the guys I was intimate with, although the list of the men I was intimate with is short.

My memory is similar. In fact, trying now to remember the names of some of my primary school mates and I've only managed one.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have similar problems althought not to that extent.

My brain just automatically dismisses a ton of information as irrelevant. I have a lot of trouble with faces. There is this girl I met three times and each time I thought I haven't seen her. She was changing her appearance each time but I should have recognized her. After somebody tells me their name, I usually forget it immediately - I guess I'm paying too much attention to the interaction to put effort into memorizing the name.

I have noticed my memory is getting progressively worse with the years. It is suggested that modern technology has changed our brains - our devices can replace long term memory while the short-term memory is more necessary to handle the larger amounts of data surrounding us all the time. If this is the case, it would mean that people nowadays have better short-term memory and worse long-term memory.

I think different personalities remember different aspects of events, data, etc. For example I can hardly ever recall the exact words of something I said, but I can usually recall what I wanted to say or if somebody else speaks I forget their words but remember what I understood. With me it's all about abstract understanding and not about details (intuition).

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
I'm bad at names and faces. I remember people by the way they move, generally the way they walk. As for my memory, it seems that I'm pretty decent at remembering things - even from when I was a young child. I just might not remember the names of the people in the situation.

Reactions: Froody Blue Gem

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
This is a nice topic.

This is similar, my experience, to some others' above, but rather than try to make a detailed collage, I'll just spell it out.

Sure, I have an excellent memory. All kinds of numbers, what page things are in certain books, names of people friends have mentioned but I've never met, scientific names of various plants. By no means savant-type memory, just very good.

However, while I have extraordinary emotional memory -- feelings I've felt in the past, very precise feelings of, say, a time I was sitting in a park amidst a column of insects while reading from.....the name of the book is there, I just am bored of remembering twenty years ago. The exact path you take from overlooking Florence around the side of the church, thirty meters down this dirty road with wooden fence and some sickly looking grape vines.

I find it very challenging to create new memories when I try to.

So, to memorize a piece of music, I have to create some artificial schemata to sort of force the issue. To learn basic combinatorics a few years ago, similarly, I had to drill hundreds and hundreds of problems.

Oh, and here's a funny one: I can't remember speeches, or poems, or even the parts of the Latin Mass unless I put a lot of effort into it. Part of my doctoral dissertation I never finished was to have been a chapter on Mallarmé's "Sonnet en «yx»" which I've obviously read thousands of times, and thousands of pages of commentary. Never remembered it!

For the speeches, that's fine -- I'm an OK public speaker, if forced to, but I like to make it up as I go with some little signposts to help me. It's like playing jazz music over a tune with chord changes. Or, one of the more impressive bits of improvisation, Saul Kripke's very famous lectures, Naming and Necessity. Brilliant discourse, fills an entire, immensely influential book. Delivered without notes, extempore, to some extent, I suppose.

My only real memories are sort of by accident, and there are a lot of them.

Makes me think, there used to be a book by somebody, hmmm, funny name, something like Proust. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
great with recognizing faces (along with the person's context or meaning) but less so with names. Very much the same about distant memory (possibly due to a traumatic event). Childhood/teens is very spotty, can recall images here and there but nothing as if I was 'presently' there living it. More of a third person perspective. Do you find it the memories you can recall is like that for you as well?

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
great with recognizing faces (along with the person's context or meaning) but less so with names. Very much the same about distant memory (possibly due to a traumatic event). Childhood/teens is very spotty, can recall images here and there but nothing as if I was 'presently' there living it. More of a third person perspective. Do you find it the memories you can recall is like that for you as well?
Curiouser and curiouser.

Funny. No, for me I don't have that experience. As a matter of fact, I remember almost always people's names, even very strange people I hardly ever met, but almost never their faces (I'm slightly near-sighted, and I hardly ever wear eyeglasses except prescription sunglasses or when working at the computer), even of people I've talked with dozens of times.

Maybe slight exaggeration -- I don't have face-blindness, or whatever it's called, but it's pretty close to the facts.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Similar

I remember 3d images i've constructed in my head. I don't have to actually have seen something, I can read it, or dream it up myself.

As far as distant memories, not so much. I suspect in my case this is some sort of defense mechanism.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
i'm not too bad at knowing i know someone if i meet them, but placing them can be a challenge. and names, pfft. i'm like @martinkunev on that; i'll forget someone's name while i'm still talking to them. the truth is i don't really 'forget' it at all. it's something that doesn't even sink in in the first place. so of course there's nothing there to retrieve when i go looking for it.

on the other hand, i remember 'stories' real well. get someone placed in my mind, and my first thought will be something very specific and concrete that was going on for them at the time. 'what happened with your sister? did you yada blah blah?' that kind of thing.

for the rest of your question, i'm kind of a non-relevant sample, i think. my elementary years were 1971 to (head math) . . . whatever that point would be. even being 26 was 26 years ago. it's honestly like a different life in my mind, by this point. it's still mine, but it's like having that old computer with the legacy operating system on it. if i booted it up i'd probably find all the old files on it, but i just don't use that machine anymore so i rarely or never do.

edit: i can go back to africa in my head any time though. that i absolutely can do. it feels like i have an absolute imprint for a lot of sensory things, and there's a kind of emotional aura attached to them that is still really accessible and immediate. i can call up all kinds of that stuff, even off a completely 'different' trigger on a different continent in the other hemisphere.

but those are all characterized by one thing: there's no people in them. the interactive stuff, i have to concentrate a lot harder to put myself back into my own long-ago skin about that. most of the strong memories that make up what i personally call my emotional history - they might mostly have had human origins of some kind, but i remember the processing of them via solitary contexts.

·
Registered
464 Posts

You may have a kinesthetic memory.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Spoken like a true moof-milker.

Join the current century!
see ... you just disproved my theory about being able to quote every line because I had to look up what a moof milker was. I knew what a nerf herder was but not a moof milker.
:laughing:

My Star Wars fan card has been revoked ... lol!

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
see ... you just disproved my theory about being able to quote every line because I had to look up what a moof milker was. I knew what a nerf herder was but not a moof milker.
:laughing:

My Star Wars fan card has been revoked ... lol!
Yeah, but that wasn't a real *Star Wars*, that was the one with the limey gal in it.

I think your fan card is safe.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm bad with names and certain details (like birthdays), but I can recognize faces very well. I'm also really good at recognizing how encounters "went."

For example, if someone were to ask me how my date was, I'd answer that it was lovely. If I was asked specifics about the date, I'd be like, "?????????? Uh... I don't know, but it *was* amazing." I'm usually told that I wasn't taking the date seriously, to which I'd answer that I was, then it'd be all Sensor vs. Intuitive argument about what the date was like, so on and on...

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,448 Posts
A generally good (pictoral memory) which demonstrably helps with facial recognition - and my auditory retention is medicore, very low to non-existent "sensory" memory outside of (visualization // certain smells) - long-term memory is effective when activated by themes I deem either personally or sub-personally useful; (&) short-term memory is substantial at remembering (landmark(s) on the terrian [and patterns on the sheets] - rather than the number of lines inbetween the streets - or the properties (re: names) within (X)-processes to approach the destinations).

Memories of the "past," are dull however, when stimulating [properly], memories of the "past" can be retrived/recalled with a very strong accuracy, almost offensively, but such triggers are scattered outside of daily-functioning.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts