Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first tampon today and tried it (had been using pads all those years).

It doesn't come with an applicator, so it's just a cotton rod. When I pushed it inside it hurt a lot, and about halfways I couldn't take the pain and took it out. Is this normal? Did I do something wrong? :frustrating:

·
Registered
695 Posts
I believe you didn't insert it far enough. It needs to be at least 1½ inches in to be comfortable. As a rule of thumb, I'd say push it in at least the length of the second knuckle on your forefinger.

Removing it is always going to hurt a bit more, especially if your flow is not particularly heavy.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I've never had a tampon hurt during insertion. Perhaps you were too "dry";; creating a lot of friction?

Honestly, if the cotton wad "bullet" style tampon is not working for you, just simply try a tampon with a plastic applicator (it does make insertion easier).

I don't think there is anything "wrong" with you per say that it hurt. But if you continue to experience discomfort otherwise, you could consider seeing your doctor about that.

As AmandaLee mentioned, I do find that removing a tampon that is not fully saturated with liquids does hurt a little. But when that is the case, it means you probably should be using a smaller tampon anyways (i.e. "medium" flow tampon vs. "light" flow tampon).

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
Check which direction to push in with your finger first. Raising one knee up or partially squatting with knees apart can help, too.

·
Banned
5,877 Posts
I think that tampons coming with an applicator are more suited for a beginner.

To be comfortable and properly working a tampon has to be inserted in depth (at least 1½ inches in like @AmandaLee stated) and it shouldn't be too big compared to your flow, even more so if you're not acquainted with tampons to begin with.

There isn't a best position to insert them, some prefer to lie on their backs with their legs bent and slightly open, others squat, I prefer standing. If it hurts too much while removing it, try to get half of it out and then douse it with water. 'Full' tampons tend to soften, flatten and open up making it easier to slide them out in a less painful way.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
I've always found tampons with applicators useless. Just a piece of wasted plastic, if you ask me. But give them a go, and see if it makes it any easier for you.

I have honestly never found a tampon to be so painful in, that I have had to remove it. The only time I have felt a bit of pain is during insertion, is when I am feeling dry. Usually I just push past it and get on with it. And once it's inserted I don't feel any pain or the tampon.

Like others have mentioned, make sure it's the correct tampon for the correct flow.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Why have I just read a conversation on tampons? :confused: :laughing:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the help, I bought new ones with applicator and it is working well now, it doesn't hurt that much to insert with applicator. :tongue:

If it's too dry to insert is it a good idea to use lube?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Thanks everyone for the help, I bought new ones with applicator and it is working well now, it doesn't hurt that much to insert with applicator. :tongue:

If it's too dry to insert is it a good idea to use lube?
I use a menstrual cup (you can google that if you don't know what that is), & use lubricant with that - - but I don't know about using lubricant with a tampon.

With the wadded cotton bullets (sans plastic applicator), I would say that the tampon would just absorb the lubricant. I would say the same thing about the cardboard applicators.

Lubricant might help with the plastic applicator tampons (if you really find it necessary).

Honestly, I don't think it would harm you to try using lubricant with any of the above tampons. So, just because I've never done it, doesn't mean it wouldn't work. :)
Experiment, and do whatever works best for you!

& Glad the new tampons are working out for you! ;)

Reactions: selena87

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Personally, I pefer plastic applicators ove cardboard. Now those can hurt!:frustrating:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Personally, I pefer plastic applicators ove cardboard. Now those can hurt!
I just googled this, seriously, cardboard? No way in hell am I using that, what were people thinking when they invented that? :frustrating: :laughing:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I just googled this, seriously, cardboard? No way in hell am I using that, what were people thinking when they invented that? :frustrating: :laughing:
Ha Ha! I tried it once.. .it was quite horrible. :laughing:

Reactions: selena87

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@o0india0o

Wow, menstrual cups sounds fun and clean! :laughing: Maybe I will order one too, thx for the info. Hope it doesn't hurt to insert. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
@selena87

I personally recommend Lunette menstrual cups (I think they're the best of the best! Ha Ha!). But, everybody is a little different, and there are many different brands (so sometimes it's a trial and error process). I think you can find them on Amazon.com - - you can also find them on Lunette's website:

Home - Lunette

Either way, menstrual cups have a bit of a learning curve (more than a tampon) - - so just make sure you're up for that! But I would never go back to tampons now (some of my friends tried it and prefer the tampons;; so it all depends!).

If you use pads at all;; I personally prefer cloth pads (not just because they're eco-friendly - - but because they're soft, and nice, and wonderful!). :)

My favorite brand of those is "Party In My Pants" (or PIMP's). :D

Party In My Pants Cloth Pads | Party In My Pants Cloth Pads

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I just bought my first tampon today and tried it (had been using pads all those years).

It doesn't come with an applicator, so it's just a cotton rod. When I pushed it inside it hurt a lot, and about halfways I couldn't take the pain and took it out. Is this normal? Did I do something wrong? :frustrating:
You might have been too dry- perhaps wet your body with some water first (keep the tampon dry, however.) In the future, try to use tampons with applicators- it's a lot easier; especially if you're not used to vaginal penetration.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
@o0india0o

Wow, menstrual cups sounds fun and clean! :laughing: Maybe I will order one too, thx for the info. Hope it doesn't hurt to insert. :laughing:
I use a diva cup. It's WONDERFUL. I can't even imagine how much money I've saved over the last two years, not to mention the security of knowing that wherever I am, I'm set.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Aha don't worry about it. It happened to me when I first put in a tampon as well. Sometimes it still hurts. :/ I think part of the problem is that I was tightening my vagina muscles because I was nervous, so that made the insertion more painful. lol. You just have to get used to inserting the tampons. Its a learning curve is all. ^.^

1 - 17 of 17 Posts