Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone think of internet star Lana Del Rey? And what type do you think she is? :happy:

I'm dying to know how other people would type her as I find her a really interesting character, both in the music/images she constructs and the way she presents herself in interviews and performances. She gets a lot of stick but I think she's incredible, and I find her music really moving.

I ask also because I'm INFJ who makes music, and I see alot of similarities in her melodies/words to the stuff I make at home! However I'm just not sure she's the same...I feel like something's missing...perhaps she's INFP? Or ISFP?

If you haven't hearf of her, search 'lana del rey video games' and 'lana del rey interview' into youtube. Sorry it wouldn't let me link.

Silly question I know, but I always like to guess the types of my favourite celebs. It's always fun to speculate :)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Ugh I fucking love her. I feel like she has Ni. And between INTJ or INFJ I would say INFJ. I don't think she's extroverted but I could be wrong. But I say that but the INFJs i know in real life I don't think are similar to her and the INTJ i know in life is prolly the most similar to her i know. I still think INFJ though.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I don't personally like her, although she is vital. Her album was put together by a team of people designed to turn more avant music into mainstream. Personally, I think they failed on that part, but her album is doing well enough, that along with adele, could pave the way for a different mainstream sound. It'll let new artists take up the pop scene which we've needed for a while.

*end bitter optimism*

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
I prefer "You Can Be the Boss" to her big hits, but "Video Games" is a pretty song. I like her song-writing style, which makes kind of makes me think of Lilly Allen, but less crass and more...quirky.

Personally, she's VERY histrionic. She dresses like a stripper with her fake nails and lip injections and constantly smoothing her hair. I think she may have severe social anxiety,and therefore has a hardcore persona to protect the true self, or may actually be histrionic.

I think she has a great voice, you know like Florence and the Machine, Adele, and Lilly Allen. She's a good singer.

I think she's probably an ISFP or possibly an INFP. Maybe an E4 sx/sp.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Ugh I fucking love her. I feel like she has Ni. And between INTJ or INFJ I would say INFJ. I don't think she's extroverted but I could be wrong. But I say that but the INFJs i know in real life I don't think are similar to her and the INTJ i know in life is prolly the most similar to her i know. I still think INFJ though.
INTJ? No way. Watch this video. I'm pretty solidly sure she's an IxFx, and I said ISFP or INFP, but it could be ISFP or ISFJ.

I relate to how her metaphors are personal though - like, if you love me take me to the gas station, and you taste like the 4th of July - those are personal references that are meaningful to her, and she knows what she means, and I believe this is probably Fi/Ni in an ISFP.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Not to sound like a hipster, but I thought she was a vapid, bland, and sucky artist long before she screwed the pooch on Saturday Night Live. Seriously, "Video Games" sounds like "Someone Like You" and "The One That Got Away," both very stupid songs to begin with, having a boring child together.
Oh whatever, and yes, you do sound like a hipster, a very pretentious one...Lana Del Rey OBVIOUSLY has some kind of social anxiety, and that's what happened on SNL...she looks stiff, anxious, like she has stage fright. She basically freaked out.

She has a beautiful voice. So does Adele. "Someone Like You" is a stupid song? Lolwut?

·
Registered
649 Posts
INTJ? No way. Watch this video. I'm pretty solidly sure she's an IxFx, and I said ISFP or INFP, but it could be ISFP or ISFJ.

I relate to how her metaphors are personal though - like, if you love me take me to the gas station, and you taste like the 4th of July - those are personal references that are meaningful to her, and she knows what she means, and I believe this is probably Fi/Ni in an ISFP.

Im not really interested in arguing over extremely subjective opinion.

·
Banned
493 Posts
Oh whatever, and yes, you do sound like a hipster, a very pretentious one...Lana Del Rey OBVIOUSLY has some kind of social anxiety, and that's what happened on SNL...she looks stiff, anxious, like she has stage fright. She basically freaked out.

She has a beautiful voice. So does Adele. "Someone Like You" is a stupid song? Lolwut?

Thanks for sharing. I enjoy her music, a lot. I'm a hopeless romantic and her music enhances my feelings of love, romance, and loss.

I don't think she's pretentious. Her style of clothes is modest and reminiscent of beauty inspired by romance; her songs too.

I don't like guessing people's MBTI. I find it rather rude. I don't like to define people to my definition/perspective. I just know I love her art.

My favorite song by her at the moment is:

A boy made me feel like this. And she made me dwell on those feelings and appreciate them.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Im not really interested in arguing over extremely subjective opinion.
I'm just saying she's pretty obviously not an INTJ.

I'm not saying she's definitely ISFP, but INTJ is a big no.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Still not interested in arguing over opinion... especially without any evidence
There's quite a bit of evidence in her interviews that she values her personal experiences and feelings more than objective Te.

Also, she doesn't make art like an INTJ, either...she consistently sings about relationships, and not in any analytical way.

I also doubt she rejects Se enough to be an Ni dom...another thing, too, she seems to be grasping a sort of Si nostalgia in the interview I showed you, that would probably freak an Ni dom out (rejection of demon Si).

So I'm going with INFP or ISFP. Possibly ISFJ.

It's somewhat subjective, but I believe there's more objectivity to it than you're making it out to be. It's pretty easy to spot whether someone values objectivity or subjectivity, rationality or personal experiences and values, at the very least we can narrow it down to a handful of types.

·
Registered
649 Posts
There's quite a bit of evidence in her interviews that she values her personal experiences and feelings more than objective Te.

Also, she doesn't make art like an INTJ, either...she consistently sings about relationships, and not in any analytical way.

I also doubt she rejects Se enough to be an Ni dom...another thing, too, she seems to be grasping a sort of Si nostalgia in the interview I showed you, that would probably freak an Ni dom out (rejection of demon Si).

So I'm going with INFP or ISFP. Possibly ISFJ.

It's somewhat subjective, but I believe there's more objectivity to it than you're making it out to be. It's pretty easy to spot whether someone values objectivity or subjectivity, rationality or personal experiences and values, at the very least we can narrow it down to a handful of types.
Sorry. It's just that to me it appears as if you're really stating your opinions like facts. You say things are obvious when in reality they really are not. They are to you. And I can say that because I don't think they are obvious and I can also say that I've been into the mbti for years and type people reflexively. But I don't claim to know any better than anyone else that this person is definitely a certain way. Personal experience with types effects so much of someone's judgement on what type people are in my opinion. I think after seeing a certain many examples of an INTJ or ESFJ you begin to form a schema or construct of what those types are and use that measurement against other people. That certainly isn't the only measurement of type but it is a highly subjective one that I think creeps up. I thought my lover was for sure an INFP when I saw her for the first time and talked to her for awhile. But soon I found she was an INTJ. So in my personal view I used to be very rigid in what type people are. But soon I learned people are very surprising at times and although to a certain extent perhaps 80 or even 90% of the time you may be correct about someone's type. You really cannot say definitively. My INTJ for example uses Fi and Se like hell. WAY more than my concept of an INTJ orginally was. And you see that my assessment of Lana being an INTJ is also very subjective. The INTJ I know was very much obsessed with Lana Del Rey and when people say they "identify" with a type that doesn't really mean anything other than that. Because I identify with lana, my intp friend does, my lover intj does, you do, ..... that says nothing. And who's to say INTJs do not value their feelings any more than you or me? Perhaps they use logic more but does that mean that they value it more? I don't think you can make that opinion a definitive way to type someone. And who would talk about rleaitonship in a piece of art in an analytical way unless they were too far to the T side? My INTJ certainly doesn't. In my opinion you are taking your subjective opinion and making it far more objective than you care to admit. With MBTI I think you really have to realize that everyone's definition of every type and cognitive functions is terribly subjective. And I have personally learned that everyone thinks that they are right.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Sorry. It's just that to me it appears as if you're really stating your opinions like facts. You say things are obvious when in reality they really are not. They are to you. And I can say that because I don't think they are obvious and I can also say that I've been into the mbti for years and type people reflexively. But I don't claim to know any better than anyone else that this person is definitely a certain way. Personal experience with types effects so much of someone's judgement on what type people are in my opinion. I think after seeing a certain many examples of an INTJ or ESFJ you begin to form a schema or construct of what those types are and use that measurement against other people. That certainly isn't the only measurement of type but it is a highly subjective one that I think creeps up. I thought my lover was for sure an INFP when I saw her for the first time and talked to her for awhile. But soon I found she was an INTJ. So in my personal view I used to be very rigid in what type people are. But soon I learned people are very surprising at times and although to a certain extent perhaps 80 or even 90% of the time you may be correct about someone's type. You really cannot say definitively. My INTJ for example uses Fi and Se like hell. WAY more than my concept of an INTJ orginally was. And you see that my assessment of Lana being an INTJ is also very subjective. The INTJ I know was very much obsessed with Lana Del Rey and when people say they "identify" with a type that doesn't really mean anything other than that. Because I identify with lana, my intp friend does, my lover intj does, you do, ..... that says nothing. And who's to say INTJs do not value their feelings any more than you or me? Perhaps they use logic more but does that mean that they value it more? I don't think you can make that opinion a definitive way to type someone. And who would talk about rleaitonship in a piece of art in an analytical way unless they were too far to the T side? My INTJ certainly doesn't. In my opinion you are taking your subjective opinion and making it far more objective than you care to admit. With MBTI I think you really have to realize that everyone's definition of every type and cognitive functions is terribly subjective. And I have personally learned that everyone thinks that they are right.
So what if your INTJ loves Lana Del Rey? That doesn't make Lana Del Rey an INTJ.

You said you don't want to argue about this, so don't. I am defending my position, because I see obvious evidence against her being either a Te dom or Te aux. I also see a very strong tendency toward what is either Se or Si that is not Ni dom-like.

As far as I am concerned, Lana Del Rey is not an INTJ. I am always highly suspicious of people who think Ni doms are everywhere, as you have a greater chance of being hit by lightening than being an INxJ.

Yes, a lot of people think they are right, but some people simply have more knowledge about personality theory and Jungian functions than others, and therefore they are more typically correct than people who type others on stereotypes alone. It's not what, it's why.

So if you don't want to discuss this, don't. I'm not making you, I'm defending my position.

I also don't know Lana Del Rey personally, but the odds of her being an INTJ, or even an INFJ, seem very exceptionally low. Evidence of Te is absolutely nowhere.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I enjoy her music, a lot. I'm a hopeless romantic and her music enhances my feelings of love, romance, and loss.

I don't think she's pretentious. Her style of clothes is modest and reminiscent of beauty inspired by romance; her songs too.

I don't like guessing people's MBTI. I find it rather rude. I don't like to define people to my definition/perspective. I just know I love her art.

My favorite song by her at the moment is:

A boy made me feel like this. And she made me dwell on those feelings and appreciate them.
"Blue Jeans" is a good song, I like it.

I don't think she's pretentious, I think she is a typical artist, not unlike David Bowie or Madonna who reinvented themselves creatively with a signature style and chosen name. I roll my eyes at people who are like "wait a second a few years ago she went by her real name and wore just casual clothes!"...Welp, she was a college student and a struggling musician at that time, playing at little local places. It surely took money and time to develop exactly what she wanted her style to be, and the difference between now and 20-30 years ago, is that musicians weren't scrutinized so closely for every little thing they did.

So I still think she's very authentic, and pretty much like many famous performers who eventually developed a signature style and even changed their name. I mean, Tori Amos was once in a band called Y Kant Tori Read that was a synthpop band different than what her signature style became in her solo career.

Hipsters are dumb. That is all.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts