Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple things I am having issues with right now with my language learning.

I have always wanted to multi-lingual since I was a kid. I have no real understanding why. But I also have a bit of language learning ADD. One of the first languages I tried to learn was French. Never got too far since special ed kids weren't allowed to take languages in grade school or middle school. High school I tried and took a class in Latin. then went to another school that didn't have Latin and for some reason didn't bother with the one's they had. In hind sight I am an idiot:laughing:. The next language I attempt to learn after much exposure to it was Japanese. So far I am better at this language then any others I have tried to learn. But lately I have been trying to rush myself with learning a language and even jumping to other ones when I should be just focusing on the one.

I have been jumping around too much and I am having a hard time picking which language to focus on.
Japanese I have the most understanding and have a easier time with except reading and writing Kanji and Kana. Also impossible to find classes around my area(only found one. one time). Italian I grew up hearing my grand parents, uncles/aunts, and even my father sometimes but have a very hard time pronouncing and understanding. Classes are very easy to find.

Another problem I have is I kind of lost my momentum and motivation to learn languages. Not sure if it hitting a wall when learning Japanese due to not being able to find a class or have anybody to practice with. It could also be I am 28 and still only know one language to any kind of acceptable competency and kind of feel pathetically defeated.

Any thoughts or advice?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I'm the same. I was tri-lingual as a kid, but I lost those languages and now only speak English, which of course makes me kind of bitter LOL.
I went from Spanish for 3 years (terrible, terrible Spanish program at high school). Started doing Norwegian on my own and got on pretty well. Now I'm going to start taking courses in German.
I think the best way to handle this is to take a course (does your community college not offer Japanese?). Alternatively, look for a club or events in your area that have to do with that language. One girl I knew who was taking Japanese at a community college started a discussion group (after the course ended) that would meet up for coffee every week to practice Japanese. Even if the event isn't totally language-oriented, you will meet people who have that interest and you'll be able to help each other out. Have someone to practice with, etc.
Try finding new mediums in your target language. I find that people who are into Japanese like the anime, but have you tried watching other types of movies? Maybe poetry?
Along with that you can join message boards in that language.

Hmm. You probably already thought of all those ideas but I hope it's a help! Good luck!

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my community college had Japanese once as a non-credited course and after that never again lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts