Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any of you guys learning new languages? I'm in the process of working on Italian and [kind of] working on Russian. It's a lot of stop and go for me (because I do everything in random energy bursts lol), but I feel like I'm making a lot of progress in Italian. Russian takes me roughly 3X longer to work on because of their alphabet.

5,146 Posts
Last language I learned was English - through second half of primary school, lots of computer games, reading magazines and novels, then high school, posting on the internet the Internet, one semester of an English philology - journalism college. Ugh, never again.

Thought about Japanese to be able to read monocle manga but it's just too much learning. I'm no longer capable of such learning.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
What's your motivation for learning Italian?

I still want to learn Italian fluently. For my family. I'm useless. I tried learning Czech but that's a tough language, even tougher when no one humours you and speaks it with you.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
@Falling Foxes Are there Italians in your family?

I speak Danish fluently (or at least I did 20 years ago, can still understand well and can speak, just feels like I'm an idiot for a bit) and can read Norwegion as well because it's close to Danish. I spoke my crazy Spanish at work for 5 years-- I just learned the subjects that I spoke with people about. I can discuss breastfeeding in Spanish but not soccer. >< go figure. If I got on DuoLingo or something I should round my Spanish out. I could probably help more people if I did.
@sylvirfoxx is there anything in particular that you would like to discuss about learning a new language? The day I made my first good joke in Danish I knew I'd arrived. I still miss that! Danish brings out a different side of me I believe. =)

·
Registered
731 Posts

I still want to learn Italian fluently. For my family. I'm useless. I tried learning Czech but that's a tough language, even tougher when no one humours you and speaks it with you.
All Slavic languages are difficult to learn. Why do you want to learn czech?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last language I learned was English - through second half of primary school, lots of computer games, reading magazines and novels, then high school, posting on the internet the Internet, one semester of an English philology - journalism college. Ugh, never again.

Thought about Japanese to be able to read monocle manga but it's just too much learning. I'm no longer capable of such learning.
Yeah, theoretically learning Chinese would be a good idea for me, but... it's sooooo much work. Russian is bad enough. Lol.

I developed an interest in Italian in my mid teens and it never completely went away although I didn't study it consistently. There's no practical reason for me to learn it other than the fact that I just like it. I don't really even know anyone who could speak it with me. Reading it comes to me fairly easy (as does Spanish and French) because I was a weird homeschooled child who read the dictionary for fun and studied a bunch of Latin root words, so I can usually decipher most of what's being said. That's probably part of why I like it.

I don't know much about how the Czech language works, but I have heard it spoken before (I had a great aunt who was Czech).

@sylvirfoxx is there anything in particular that you would like to discuss about learning a new language? The day I made my first good joke in Danish I knew I'd arrived. I still miss that! Danish brings out a different side of me I believe. =)
Not in particular, I just wanted to see who else was learning what. I will say that I am slightly curious if you other ENFPs feel that you pick up on languages more easily because of our pattern discernment abilities, but also struggle with them because of the consistency and dedication required to learn them.

I was learning Spanish too, which honestly is the most practical of the three for me, but doing all of them at once is a bit much for me right now.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Agreed. Yes it’s frustrating due to dedication/concentration for sure. One thing that happened from me learning 1 language is that I feel very brave to try out the few words that I have in a second one and go out on a limb forming sentences from a scramble of words. Gave me bravery on how to get going. Like you start improvising somewhere. Something funny: My co-worker once told me that I was saying Galiettas (cookies in Spanish) wrong and that it is pronounced Caliettas. I double checked and it was with a G and to tease her I said, “Do you want a Gookie?” We burst out laughing thinking of our nice Spanish speaking families putting up with us and our crazy Spanish. After that we had the most hilarious day at that job I can think of walking around changing all c’s in English to G’s. Ginda funny, I thought...

My dad says after a 3rd language you can pick up any language pretty easily. He has proved this to be true. He does speak a bunch of the languages you guys mentioned including Czech, Russian, Italian This is my dad’s great talent— languages —and music and chess He’s a retired mail-man for crying out loud. People are amazing! I think it’s awesome you are working on languages! Adds a whole other world. :)

5,146 Posts

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Because I live in Czech Republic.
I didn't know! Did you hear me say on the Classical Music thread, my parents lived in Prague for two years? They were there as missionaries for our church. Do you enjoy it? What do you think of the culture? Are you in Prague? Now I'm all.... you're in the Czech Republic!?! If I had money and if I weren't so annoying I'd come visit you! lol How long have you been there?

Reactions: ricericebaby

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Questions! I wasn't expecting so many just from mentioning languages...

Are you working for some game company there?
Yup.

I didn't know! Did you hear me say on the Classical Music thread, my parents lived in Prague for two years? They were there as missionaries for our church. Do you enjoy it? What do you think of the culture? Are you in Prague? Now I'm all.... you're in the Czech Republic!?! If I had money and if I weren't so annoying I'd come visit you! lol How long have you been there?
I don't look at the Classical Music thread I'm afraid. Missionaries, huh? Well I suppose Czech Republic is a good place to try and spread the word since they are the least religious country in Europe.

I'm in Prague, yeah. I enjoy it here. It's a beautiful city. The culture is peaceful. The least stressful place I've visited. I've been here for two years, looking to make that three.

·
Registered
530 Posts
If someone wants to learn Italian I could try to help.
I'm trying to learn english very well 'cause I would like to work outside italy
I would love to learn Italian down the line! :D

But right now I'm trying to focus on Korean and Japanese. And after those I'm trying to finish learning French and Catalan. But if you need any help with English, feel free to message me! I'll answer any questions to the best of my ability.

I've actually worked as an English tutor as well as a Spanish tutor (fluent). So I can kinda understand the gist of what an Italian word means, since it's a romance language too.

·
Registered
INFP so/sx
562 Posts
I’m not learning a new language per se, just honing the ones I already know.
My family speaks both Punjabi and Urdu and I’m fluent in the latter but not so much in Punjabi. It’s a fun and interesting language and I’m making some progress, but I really need to work on eliminating my English accent when I speak it lmao.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’m not learning a new language per se, just honing the ones I already know.
My family speaks both Punjabi and Urdu and I’m fluent in the latter but not so much in Punjabi. It’s a fun and interesting language and I’m making some progress, but I really need to work on eliminating my English accent when I speak it lmao.
LOL Eliminating my accent had been a priority with me from the get-go... so much so that I started pronouncing foreign words with the correct accent even when using the word in an English sentence (such as "eau de toilette," which sometimes renders me unintelligible to my husband). It's still there when speaking sentences, but I'm trying. Lol.

·
Registered
INFP so/sx
562 Posts
LOL Eliminating my accent had been a priority with me from the get-go... so much so that I started pronouncing foreign words with the correct accent even when using the word in an English sentence (such as "eau de toilette," which sometimes renders me unintelligible to my husband). It's still there when speaking sentences, but I'm trying. Lol.
Omg I do that too, but I always come across like a pompous ol' twit because most people think it’s just unnecessary to pronounce words like that :laughing:. This actually reminds me of a video CollegeHumor made a couple years back:

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
But right now I'm trying to focus on Korean and Japanese..
Ah nice! I'm casually trying to learn, or more accurately re-learn, Korean. That must be tough as hell, Japanese and Korean are completely different, and then of course again completely different to English. It's a completely different animal to learning a Latin or Germanic language- it's not just the alphabet, vocab and grammar structure.. Just the overall approach to communication is conceptually very different, that must be hard to grasp especially if you are trying to learn alone.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts