Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently stumbled upon a few studies regarding languages and how it affects our perception of reality, and how we make decisions. Rather interesting stuff. One of the studies mentioned that there were studies done on how different languages affect career and even spouse choice.

So, my question is, has anyone here heard of this idea? How might the language(s) we speak affect the career we choose to go into, or our success in that field? And, does anyone know of any studies that are related? Could Germans be leading the field in Engineering because their language has qualities to it that give them an upper hand in it, for example? Just to clarify, I do not mean success by knowing a language in that it's a language with a high demand (such as Spanish for English speakers), but that the change in thinking from speaking the language itself grants a greater success, or doesn't.

Also, one thing I would be curious about is how language affects fashion. By the studies, they've ruled out that it's about culture, not the language (English speakers learning foreign languages begin to think like a native speaker of that language over time, and their perception will shift). Yet, especially throughout history, we've had some radically different clothing styles, and even today we still have different styles as well as different ideas on what is accepted and what's not. Admittedly, a lot of this can be chalked up to environment, but what about things that are purely or mostly aesthetic? How has language affected those?

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
Wow, that really is interesting.

I've always told people that if I were a native speaker of a language like Arabic or any dialect of Chinese that I just wouldn't be as eloquent. The languages are so difficult, I'm always told "Oh, you would just adjust" but I don't believe it. I really think my speaking style would be limited and that my vocabulary wouldn't be as large as my English vocabulary is.

But no, I've never heard anything about the specific tones or structures of languages having those kinds of effects on people, fascinating.

Did they discuss exactly how a Cantonese or Mandarin speaker's perception of reality was altered?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@MortimerVonKraus
Are you talking about between the two, or those two in comparison to English? I have seen some things regarding Mandarin compared to English, one of which being that English speakers tend to view time as being horizontal to us (e.g. the past is behind us, or the future is ahead), whereas Mandarin speakers view time as being vertical. And when it comes to actually physically representing these views, that's still the case. English speakers stretch time out in a line while Mandarin speakers stretch time out vertically.

Edge: HOW DOES OUR LANGUAGE SHAPE THE WAY WE THINK? By Lera Boroditsky You may be interested in reading this article. It covers a few studies that were done, especially around an Aboriginal language.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts