Votes: 79 10.7%
  • Physical Touch

Votes: 241 32.8%

• Total voters
401 - 420 of 456 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Acts of service, words of affirmation and physical touch - all the same score. Than quality time, and at the bottom receiving gifts.
For feeling loved, I think it got it right. However, when I need to express it, I use gifts quite a lot. No acts of service, because I'm lazy.
Interesting test :)

·
Sunset Stripper
9,624 Posts
I'm going to take a guess before taking the test and say the order of my love languages will be: physical touch, quality time, words of affirmation, acts of service and gifts.

Actual Results:

10 Physical Touch
9 Words of Affirmation
6 Quality Time
3 Receiving Gifts
2 Acts of Service

·
Registered
454 Posts
My love language is definitely Physical Touch and I'd probably a tie with Quality Time. Most of the time PT scores higher than QT but both are quite important to me. Words of Affirmation are somewhere in the middle field, but I personally don't care much about Acts of Service or Gifts.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Your primary love language is probably
Quality Time
with a secondary love language being
Words of Affirmation.

Complete set of results

Quality Time: 12
Words of Affirmation: 8
Acts of Service: 6
Receiving Gifts: 4
Physical Touch: 0

Seems to be right.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Wow. Gifts is basically unvalued for the large majority of people. That makes me kinda sad. I hope this is not a general trend in population too.

I think people misunderstand what gifts implies. It's not always about buying shiny things. It implies all kinds of variety of things or experiences that you wish to gift to the person you love based on whether you think they will enjoy it. I value gift giving a lot and it has never been about the material value of things but much more the sentimental value of them: I get those I love tickets to concerts I know they will love, fill the fridge with foods I know they enjoy so they can always be satisfied with what they can eat. I share (or buy) with books that I have loved and think they will love too.

I took the test a while ago but I think it was incorrect. I would say:
Yes equally to: Physical touch, gift giving, quality time.
No equally to: Acts of service, words of affirmation.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Wow. Gifts is basically unvalued for the large majority of people. That makes me kinda sad. I hope this is not a general trend in population too.
I have wondered about this too, and what exactly constitutes a gift. The way gifts are portrayed in these tests and explanations seem overly material, which I suppose it can be; movies and series do like to emphasize jewellery as the ultimate gift. While I don't enjoy receiving or giving such extravagant gifts, one of my top 3 ways to show my love and appreciation for people I really care about is by getting them little things that remind me of our conversations/inside jokes/relationships - just small tokens, usually not valuable in terms of money but meaningful between us. Could be a flower I've picked, a little card with something funny, a photo of something I saw that reminded me of them etc. Typically I don't look for things specifically but stumble on them as I go about my life, and it's therefore not confined to gift-giving occasions like Christmas or birthdays. What makes it unique is that it's a spontaneous thing, something you want to share because you think the other will appreciate it. The gift then becomes a physical reminder that I am thinking about someone and value them even if they are not there; as such it is a private exchange and not something that necessarily makes sense to others or can be shown off to others, and not about material objects whatsoever. It's more about the thought behind these tokens of appreciation than it is about items.

Moreover, if someone has given me a thoughtful gift out of the blue, something relating to 'us' or something I'm going through, that means a whole lot more than getting a generic gift from someone just because they think it's socially expected to give one. The latter really mean nothing to me but the former makes me think I'm valued and being listened to.

I think this still constitutes gift-giving.

My love languages probably rank:
1. Quality time
2. Physical touch
3. Gifts
4. Words of affirmation
5. Acts of service

- Although the exact order depends on the individual relationships. Physical touch is not important with friends or family but very much so in a romantic context.

·
Banned
2,480 Posts
My top one is acts of service. I love it when an SO does something to make my life easier. Especially if it's something I hate doing, like service the vehicle or wash dishes.

I also enjoy quality time with my SO, talking, or just being together.

Next would be physical touch, I crave that affection from my SO.

Then words of affirmation, this would be few & far between. I mean the first time he says, "I love you." I want the reasons why but after that I assume he continues to feel the same way & should only express sentiments in a spontaneous way, not out of habit.

Lastly would be receiving gifts, again for me this would need to be sporadic & thoughtful in order to show me love. This is usually the love language I show with friends, not so much an SO.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
It's been a while since I took the actual test, and am too lazy to get the specific results. However for me it was,

Quality time > Words of Affirmation > Receiving gifts > Acts of service > Physical touch

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm not sure how physical touch is so high, I don't even like hand holding outside of the bedroom

Words of Affirmation: 11
Physical Touch: 8
Quality Time: 7
Acts of Service: 4
Receiving Gifts: 0

·
Registered
448 Posts
Quality Time: 8
Acts of Service: 7
Physical Touch: 6
Words of Affirmation: 6
Receiving Gifts: 3

Those are pretty even results... I'm not surprised by quality time. I was surprised by Acts of Service but yeah I guess it's true, after spending so much time tending to everyone else's need, i'd want someone to do the same for me from time to time. I don't exactly know how physical touch got so high.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quality Time: 11
Physical Touch: 7
Words of Affirmation: 7
Receiving Gifts: 5
Acts of Service: 0

Hahaha yep this sounds about right. I'm surprised physical touch wasn't higher, since I'm such a sensor (ISTJ here) who likes to hug and kiss my loved ones way too much. However, quality time was definitely the one I knew would win. I'm a person who needs to keep busy/entertained so if you can't spend time with me, then that's the ultimate way to kill the romance.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Your Scores
9Quality Time
9Words of Affirmation
5Physical Touch
4Acts of Service
3Receiving Gifts
Makes perfect sense to me, although I feel that every category resonates in some ways. I don't like to receive gifts often but I'm deeply moved when someone takes the time to make me something themselves - I have a few cards that close friends of mine made for me during important times in my life, eg. after a recent move, or graduating from high school. It's not the *thing* they gave me - most material objects that I've been given as gifts I actually usually forget where they came from, unless it's something deeply personal. For that reason, the line between "acts of service" and "receiving gifts" is blurry, for me - I see acts of service as non-material gifts, and gifts mean the most to me when they either were hand-made, or they show that someone was really listening and understanding me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've forgotten my scores but I got:
quality time > physical touch > acts of service > words of affirmation > receiving gifts

Trinkets are nice but they do create clutter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
12 Physical Touch
8 Quality Time
6 Acts of Service
4 Words of Affirmation
0 Receiving Gifts

I don't understand why being touched by my roommate feels so good to me. The first time she hugged me, I was surprised that I liked it. I was confused about why I wanted more.

When I was young, physical touch in my family was always for a punishment, even if someone pretended it wasn't. Since then, I've avoided all physical touch other than necessary handshakes. I never wanted it and didn't care about it. Until that hug from my roommate.

The Quality Time score would help explain why I enjoy just having quiet time with her.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The link is also broken for me. However, I would expect my order to be something like:

1. Quality Time
2. Physical Touch
3. Words of Affirmation
4. Acts of Service
5. Gifts

At least for romantic relationships. For everyone else, physical touch would drop below the bottom. :/

·
Registered
559 Posts
Found a link that works: Discover Your Love Language - The 5 Love Languages®

Mine was in order:

Words of Affirmation

Quality Time

Acts of Service

Physical touch

Receiving gifts.

I do not necessarily agree with the interpretation of the website though. Being insulted or treated harshly does not deeply affect me in any way. I can take a lot of abuse and it is nearly impossible to really get under my skin. It actually frustrates deeply people who do want to annoy me, as the more desperate they try, the more stupid they look.

Now, being told by someone that they like/love me or if they give me a present or do anything to show they appreciate me, often times is enough to get me deeply emotional, although I most likely won't show it externally. I do not think I have ever heard any of my parents nor family say that they "love" me. Thinking about it, I cannot even recall my ex-wife telling me a single time that she loved me. When my father's girlfriend asked her how did she call me, like "honey", "dear", "darling" or whatever, she responded "the person I hate less".

401 - 420 of 456 Posts