Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
“What we mean is real universes in extra dimensions,” says Faizal. “As gravity can flow out of our universe into the extra dimensions, such a model can be tested by the detection of mini black holes at the LHC.”

Full Article Here: Large Hadron Collider Could Detect Extra Dimensions

Remember to discuss following civilized rules!

·
Registered
884 Posts
So I'm a physics major and I've talked with this with my physics professor and some of my faculty. The chance of detecting this is really low.

To be completely blunt: This is a very sensationalist title from IFLS. Yeah it's a chance, but the chance is so low it might as well be 0. It's a bit of the same sensationalism when the LHC first went online and people said there was going to be a black hole on earth. Yeah there is a chance, but it's very close to 0

All in all the LHC is just going to collect data and that's it. Probably find more information on particles and do more collisions and try to gain ground on more particles that exist and maybe find a more exact energy level for the Higgs.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It provides information on particle behavior and particlel behavior may give clues about quantum entanglement.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I'm a physics major and I've talked with this with my physics professor and some of my faculty. The chance of detecting this is really low.

To be completely blunt: This is a very sensationalist title from IFLS. Yeah it's a chance, but the chance is so low it might as well be 0. It's a bit of the same sensationalism when the LHC first went online and people said there was going to be a black hole on earth. Yeah there is a chance, but it's very close to 0

All in all the LHC is just going to collect data and that's it. Probably find more information on particles and do more collisions and try to gain ground on more particles that exist and maybe find a more exact energy level for the Higgs.
I had no idea about this; thank you for the information.

·
Registered
Amateur Newscaster
11,502 Posts
And all we gotta do is create a black hole...

·
Banned
2,975 Posts
And all we gotta do is create a black hole...
As has been reported a million times there are particles coming in from space every day with energy levels of this magnitude and if such a particle could create a stable black hole it would have naturally happened.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts