Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- What's the last thing you wiki'd?
- How/why did you wiki it?
- What did you end up going to from there?

(Post a picture if it's interesting.)

(No need to put in Spoilers, but figured I would to keep the OP clean.)

I just wiki'd Komodo dragon.

Wiki'd it 'cause I just installed Comodo Anti-Virus on a PC, and started thinking about Komodos. From there, I clicked "Megapode," birds that build massive nests which the Komodo dragons steal for their own.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Rothschild family: Rothschild family - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Been doing that the last couple of days, that family is in deeper than anyone knows.
I was watching a video online of how Israel became a nation, and researched the Balfour Declaration, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balfour_Declaration because it was this event that started all that is. Also Hitler is a grandchild of a Rothschild bastard and supposedly by rumor, the Rothschilds funded Hitler.

So my theory is Israel become a state because the Rothschilds wanted to access it's resources. Also I googled the family's part in the federal reserve... interesting shit.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I think it was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nociceptors

I was reading some random article about how most fish lack a certain type of nociceptor associated with particularly intense pain in humans, and also lack a neocortex, which in humans is required for awareness of pain. This has some odd legal implications in the country the study/review was done for (can't remember where it was), because the clauses of one of their important animal protection laws includes language about the conditions under which it's allowable to cause pain to certain animals. But 'pain' in that law isn't any further defined than the word itself, so I imagine that certain interest groups this law effects (fish farmers, fish scientists, fish sympathizers etc.) are trying to push the interpretation of what 'pain' is one way or the other by diving into complexities of how the experience of pain manifests in biology.

After that I probably drank some coffee. Coffee has a nice wiki article, btw.

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
I was interested in how long the world could survive on nuclear power. Original technologies with current uranium estimates puts it at a mere 200 years.

However... with increased interest in Breeder Reactors, it puts it up to 10'000 years or more. That is ferkin awesome, in my opinion. I don't care what people think of the 'radiation' issue. Lumps of radioactive metal are far easier to contain than the tons of CO2 we pump into the atmosphere each year.

A nuclear fuelled world will be so fresh. 100% electric cities. Beautiful.

Anyway yeah... Breeder reactor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
770 Posts
I was interested in how long the world could survive on nuclear power. Original technologies with current uranium estimates puts it at a mere 200 years.

However... with increased interest in Breeder Reactors, it puts it up to 10'000 years or more. That is ferkin awesome, in my opinion. I don't care what people think of the 'radiation' issue. Lumps of radioactive metal are far easier to contain than the tons of CO2 we pump into the atmosphere each year.

A nuclear fuelled world will be so fresh. 100% electric cities. Beautiful.

Anyway yeah... Breeder reactor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Honestly what I think we need to do is use nuclear till we advance technology in all renewable energy sources enough to replace nuclear. Then we wont even need to worry about the radioactive waste and we wont have to mine more uranium or whatever they would use to fuel the reactors.

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
Honestly what I think we need to do is use nuclear till we advance technology in all renewable energy sources enough to replace nuclear. Then we wont even need to worry about the radioactive waste and we wont have to mine more uranium or whatever they would use to fuel the reactors.
Yeah. It's just a shame about all those dickheads who are so fucking small-minded, all they say is, "Renewable energy is so expensive, it doesn't even save me enough money in my lifetime so it's pointless." Blah blah. The naysayers really bug me. I fully agree renewable is the best source. Efficiencies are a bit iffy at the moment though. But yeah for an alternative in the meantime, nuclear is the vanguard of modern energy. I agree renewable would be much better though.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
WikiSocion.

Cheating?

l'm leaving you MBTI-holes for introverted logic.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So far, from the previous wiki's, I've learned:
@TriggerHappy923 - general information about the Rothschild family

@susurrous - about nociceptors (though the wiki article clearly says fish have nociceptors, so I'm curious what you meant)

Nociception has been documented in non-mammalian animals, including fish[10] and a wide range of invertebrates, including leeches,[11] nematode worms,[12] sea slugs,[13] and fruit flies.[14] Although these neurons may have different pathways and relationships to the central nervous system than mammalian nociceptors, nociceptive neurons in non-mammals often fire in response to similar stimuli as mammals, such as high temperature (40 degrees C or more), low pH, capsaicin, and tissue damage.
@that - about Bushido and what "Subaru" means (coolest car brand name now)

@skillchaos - about an interesting Iranian dish. Funny that raw eggs were once common on these

@Hoff, @ADHR26 - wtf Greenland jeeze. This is sad, especially since most young individuals don't feel capable (or aren't capable) of moving away from their home (not to mention an entire country)

@Pessimisterious - I've long been an advocate of nuclear energy. It's a silly political movement which has used fear and intimidation to suppress the usefulness and (in fact green) value of these reactors

@stubborness - Well I'm not massively interested in athiesm in general (despite my own non religious views), but thanks for the articles :) Keep 'em coming

@merlin89 - Plot looks fun, but I checked Netflix and it ain't there. I'll have to find an online link somewhere to watch this

@RandomNote - Yay for CS, CS source, and TF2. I started playing TF2 a couple years ago but stopped. FPS' are too addicting for me I think

@that - I used to play SWCCG with my brother in my teenage years. I have a plethora of weird and random Star Wars knowledge now, lol

@OMG WTF BRO - No cheating on us, it's not allowed. On a serious note though, awesome link. I've only recently been studying Socionics so this looks like an awesome resource!

@Alliecatcool - Cool, I'm one of the 9% in Georgia lol. To be honest, the "southern stereotypes" are not very obvious in conversation with people. You hear "god bless" sometimes (though fairly rarely), and see lots of churches and "family" bumper stickers. Otherwise it's not like TV and media like to say it is. Neat list of agnostics. If I get famous enough, I'll add myself there ;)

@Solitaire U - I'm one of the seemingly rare non-anime enjoying INTPs, but thanks for the article! (I did watch Code Geass and enjoyed the plot a lot, but didn't care for the animation much.)

·
Registered
770 Posts
@Solitaire U - I'm one of the seemingly rare non-anime enjoying INTPs, but thanks for the article! (I did watch Code Geass and enjoyed the plot a lot, but didn't care for the animation much.)
No you're not, I've haven't watched any in like 10 years and I hardly watched any back then. I've only watch what got brought over to North America and dubbed (Pokemon, Digimon, Beyblade, etc). All kids shows.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts