Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If my parents are to be believed, I did not speak until i was roughly 3 years old, which is about two years later than the average age. However, my first word was part of my first sentence, which was a comment on the fine weather that morning.

What age did you first start to speak? I read somewhere (very reputable, I realize) that an uncommonly high percentage of engineers and scientists were late to begin talking as children

·
Registered
815 Posts
I know that I was late talking but I don't recall how long it took (maybe 2-3 years). I just remember my parents telling me that it took me a long time to speak. I didn't start with simple words but, apparently, started repeating short sentences I had heard.

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Grunt
22,797 Posts
I have absolutely no idea but I was reading well before kindergarten and my grandmother used to think I couldn't actually read but memorised until I read the newspaper to her.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I was 5. And look at me now, I'm making up for lost time, I won't shut up... :laughing: Supposedly I was reading aloud college textbooks 4 months later and asked relevant questions about the topics. (They say I'd been silently 'reading' since 3, but I was probably only teaching myself subconsciously by connecting the words to the pictures). I don't know if I believe that though. It's impossible to learn a language that fast from scratch. It's just what everyone who knew me at that age tells me. (Though I think I vaguely recall it, but I don't remember much before age 7).

But I'm no scientist. I'm majoring in Accounting, due solely to the field's safety and practicality.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
My sister(an INTJ) learned to speak at around the average age...

·
Registered
761 Posts
I just asked my mom, she said when i was 1. :tongue:
My brother, Istj, first spoke at 4. And he's pretty damn good at engineer/technician stuff. :mellow:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I'd have to ask. Do siblings play into this?
Not sure.

I was an only child and once I was 4 or so, I was often left totally alone at home, sometimes for days.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I dunno exactly when.
I understand that when a child speaks is usually associated with how much they are spoken to.
I spoke a lot, to everyone, when i was a kid. I stopped being forward and open with people in 3rd grade.

I did memorize books until i was around 4. I could read but not well since i didn't really practice. My mother forced me to read the words in new books when she got annoyed that i had memorized the old ones.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Learned to speak at the normal age. I was unusually good at math though, I could do fractions and stuff at age 4.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Talking by 1, reading small books by 2, reading more complicated things by 3, describing what enzymes did by 4.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
I spoke at the normal age children start speaking but my vocabulary was a lot more advanced than the majority of children my age.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I have no idea when I began speaking - as I recall, I was young - however, I did "potty train" myself at a young age. Also, I could do 100+ piece puzzles at 2.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd have to ask. Do siblings play into this?
It's possible. I do have a sister who is two years older than me. She would translate my pointing before I began to talk, so it's possible that I delayed because there was no immediate need to start talking.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I spoke at one - so average, but in a complete sentence. "What's that?" I was never much of a talker. My mom says that I wasn't going to say anything unless it was important and I could say it right.

Side note: my uncle (I have no idea what type he was) first words came at 4 and were "Grandfather, I think it's time to set the table for tea."

·
Registered
432 Posts
I refused to talk until I was four, but I recall teaching myself to read when I was three or so.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts