1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Care to place some form of reference point from which people can devise which category they fall into? Maybe you could describe the different thought forms, or provide a measure for them. Thanks.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I like polls. But I don't like tryiing to find out whether I'm a logical or lateral thinker on my lonesome. Effort, bleh.. :proud:

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Lateral and logical are not polar opposites any way I can envisage. Unless, you are a reductionist thinker. And I think this may hinge on the INTP-ISFP communication problem. The poll does not seem logical to me.

The Cat ISFP wants to do a striptease and the Eagle wants to put the clothes back on.

I put down Lateral because that is now my thinking would appear to a Composer.

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
umm... do i have to google the meanings?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I placed my response as balanced or "Equal"..
Stating that I can use, with some ingenuity, the logical order of things whilst maintaining an ability to remain imaginative and concerned with the potentials of alternative forms and strategies. This is considered in the INTJ type, and is possible one of the reasons why the type is so rare (likewise with the ENTJ)

Answers.com Philosophy dictionary said:
Popular term for a creative, imaginative approach to problem-solving that changes one's perceptions and conception of a problem, allegedly contrasted with ‘linear’ or ‘logical’ thinking. The contrast is misleading, in that logic does not tell you how to think, but only how to avoid inconsistency.
Very well said, but in terms of the definition in the latter reference, the logical mind could see the internal inconsistency between using answers.com for a definition and not the Oxford English Dictionary. LOL.
Curiously, the creativity of an individual can expand in any fashion when they can apply (in combination) both the lateral thinking imagination and the logical thinkings consistency. This is why in terms of INTJs, the pseudonyms "Mastermind" (Kiersey) or "Scientist" (Myers-Briggs) is not that inaccurate.
Or in the pre-existent words on type logic:

INTJ Functional analysis said:
Paradoxes, antinomies, and other contradictory phenomena aptly express these intuitors' amusement at those whom they feel may be taking a particular view of reality too seriously. INTJs enjoy developing unique solutions to complex problems.
Yet I do not hinge this functionality on my type alone. The methods of thought are not so dichotomous. Sure it is simple to say so, but even Albert Einstein applied both lateral AND logical thought in unison. Otherwise a favour for one would be lacking the support of the other. We could have a complete logic slave (no jibes at me thanks) who could not imagine to save their life (stereotypical ESTJ) or a prodigious artist who could not see the inconsistencies in gobbledygook (instead looking for patterns like a conspiracy theorist would). These thought types require support from each other to be implemented effectively. Choosing one over the other is almost as redundant as saying we are absolutely, irrefutably and non-negotiably 100% Introvert or Extrovert..

·
Registered
567 Posts
This thread became too wordy and hard immediately :mellow:
What kind of a thinker does that make me...

·
Registered
567 Posts
MONOPOLY!!! Those hotels get dang expensive!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lateral and Logical thinking are both skills that everyone can learn.

Lateral Thinking is logical. It uses the logic of perceptual systems. Logical Thinking (as implied here) uses the logic of definitions. Edward DeBono defined the two types of logic as Water Logic and Rock Logic respectively.

Personality types may have a preference or natural ability one way or another but I think those differences disappear amongst the trained.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Lateral :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts