Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ENFP myself and I find the theory of The Law of Attraction and The Secret very fascinating. Even though I struggle to manifest, and no matter how many people say it's illogical and it can't be done....I reject that completely so yeah I strongly believe that it works. :) Also there's this public domain book from 1906 or something like that called "The Science of Getting Rich" (not just money rich but rich of mind and soul) and I have lots of fun ideas of what to do if I can get everything I want out of life. So I'm just curious, are there any ENFPs and ENTPs that believe too? If so, perhaps you could give me some tips or amazing story experiences with the method.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dude, it's so true. I've been psychotic for a bout half a year, and this theory is, to me, confirmed. The '' coincidences '' I've experienced were almost ''non-human'', it almost freaked me out. Stay off the Mary Jane dude and you'll be fine. Just don't let this become an obsession to you, you''ll be really disappoint.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Ok, I'm an xNTP. And no, I do not believe Law of Attraction works. It is a scam for gullible people. New Age is spreading so fast it really worries me. I watched all the ''main stream'' documentaries on youtube about it just to see what it actually is.

And it is basically bunch of lies about science and a promise of an easy solution to all your problems. It is a religion, just a modern one.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
I'm ENFP myself and I find the theory of The Law of Attraction and The Secret very fascinating. Even though I struggle to manifest, and no matter how many people say it's illogical and it can't be done....I reject that completely so yeah I strongly believe that it works. :) Also there's this public domain book from 1906 or something like that called "The Science of Getting Rich" (not just money rich but rich of mind and soul) and I have lots of fun ideas of what to do if I can get everything I want out of life. So I'm just curious, are there any ENFPs and ENTPs that believe too? If so, perhaps you could give me some tips or amazing story experiences with the method.
The law of attraction is complete and utter bullshit. The desperate and naive will believe and then you can sell stuff like "The Secret" to them ;) its hilarious. Simply wanting something won't make it fall into your lap.

There is one way positive thinking and negative thinking works thou. Its not magical. If you think positively, then positive action follows. Most of the time the result in that is that you get what you want, because you went for it and put effort into getting/'achieving what you wanted (actively increasing your chances). Sometimes the opposite happens for various reasons or something in between (there are variables outside your control that interfere). Same goes for a negative attitude.

I want cereals so I go and make some lol not sit there and hope that someone else makes them for me through some kind of magical thinking on my part.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
In the bigger picture the law of attraction does make sense to me. If you go through life with a positive attitude it can change your circumstances. I don't see it as some magical force or mystery. I see it as common sense. I don't believe we can dream things into life, although we can make our dreams come true by thinking positive and putting those positive thoughts into action. Once we change our circumstances through positive thinking, it can lead us to things we want.

I don't have any amazing stories, sorry. Although i can tell you that through positive thinking i have changed circumstances in my life that lead me into getting things i wanted. Positive thinking creates confidence leading you to places/people and circumstances that you likely wouldn't put time or effort into by staying in a negative realm. I didn't read the book so not sure what it all says, although i got the jest of the correlation between positive thinking/ changing circumstances.

Reactions: L and electricky

·
Banned
5,433 Posts
There is one way positive thinking and negative thinking works thou. Its not magical. If you think positively, then positive action follows. Most of the time the result in that is that you get what you want, because you went for it and put effort into getting/'achieving what you wanted (actively increasing your chances). Sometimes the opposite happens for various reasons or something in between (there are variables outside your control that interfere). Same goes for a negative attitude.
that was how i always thought of the law of attraction. keeping a positive attitude, an open mind, open heart, making inspired decisions...i think the other part of it is using your intuition like a compass. i've heard a lot of NFs on perC talk about things like clairvoyance, the whole third eye thing, seers, etc.. it may not work for me because im an ST, IDK. I can't really say. I don't laugh about it though. Metaphysics is difficult for me to comprehend.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
The law of attraction is complete and utter bullshit. The desperate and naive will believe and then you can sell stuff like "The Secret" to them ;) its hilarious. Simply wanting something won't make it fall into your lap.

I want cereals so I go and make some lol not sit there and hope that someone else makes them for me through some kind of magical thinking on my part.
You obviously have not watched/read or paid attention to "the secret" very well. It doesn't say anything about you sitting there and something magical happening, it does say that everything requires effort, however when you think positive then your mind is clear of negative thoughts, and you can think better at what actions to take next.

While I do believe in positive thinking, I look at "the secret" idea in a more "rational" way so to speak... only because it's hard for me to just believe something. Although I have seen it happen for many people who are blind believers. It only works if you can do that, if you don't tend to rationalize everything.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
No, the Secret is BS

However i will say that mindset and positive thinking is very important. It won't change physical reality, but it will change how others percieve you in a positive way, and that tends to bring it's own benefits.

Other than that the only "secret" to success and getting what you want is hard work and persistence.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
that was how i always thought of the law of attraction. keeping a positive attitude, an open mind, open heart, making inspired decisions...i think the other part of it is using your intuition like a compass. i've heard a lot of NFs on perC talk about things like clairvoyance, the whole third eye thing, seers, etc.. it may not work for me because im an ST, IDK. I can't really say. I don't laugh about it though. Metaphysics is difficult for me to comprehend.
Its probably just that that they started to believe in the very very untrue rumor that NFJs have "magical mental powers". "magical thinking" seems to be common problem with people regardless of type.(thou between you and me...Ne leads to a lot of places at once and I'm often left high and dry unable to decide wtf to do). Have you ever went into a store wanting to buy a gift...then being unable to decide wtf to buy...finally leaving empty handed and wasting 2 hours? ^^; frigging Ne I tell you...no clairvoyance what so evurrr. It especially sux when one starts a project with enthusiasm and then leaves it for a fresh project half way through lol.....*sad*. Problems focusing on and remembering details, being scattered and knowing a bit of everything, but not being an expert in anything...all consequences of Ne.

Ni as far as I understood is just a shift in perspective. Example: something bad happens to an ni user and they can just shift perspective and see the good in it or there is a specific problem that needs solving, the Ni user will approach the problem from various perspectives until an "AHA! moment" arrives because a certain way of looking at it led to a solution.

^^ Ne - multitudes of possibilities all true at the same time.
Ni - perspective switch for one thing, problem etc.

·
Registered
785 Posts
People that think positive thinking is in every way superior to negative thinking have to read Seneca. I guess this video is a good introduction :)

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I'm an ISTP. I know you didn't ask me but what the heck. I'll answer anyway. I got stories! :)

While I do believe that the law of attraction works, my mind tends to rationalize everything and it won't let me believe something I can't see. But I've seen it work many times for my sister. She's an ESFJ, and she doesn't rationalize much, she just believes things.
Every time I remind her about the secret, she'll say she wants something and the next day it happens. Literally!

Last time, I was reading the secret to her and she "asked the universe" for more money and more work. Next day she gets called from a guy she used to work for being offered more jobs.

She also believes in feng shui (which is sorta similar with the secret, only more visual), she puts stuff around the house like her "money corner" and once in a while she'll throw some money in there and ask for "less work more money" or things like that and yup...she gets it. works every time with her. I told her she needs to do it for me too lol and she tries but of course it doesn't work.

It did work for me too but in smaller things (probably because I can believe something small can happen). Right after I read the book, I imagined a feather. few minutes later I go in my balcony and there's feathers everywhere!! Bird feathers. Never had them before, but that day my balcony is full of feathers. Then another day, I was walking with my sister and I remember I really was a believer at the time, I stopped being so rational and cynical like I usually am.. so we're walking along the beach and I was telling her about the secret and how to be happy and stuff. My hair kept coming into my eyes so I tell her "I wish I had a bobby pin" ... 5 minutes later I find a bobby pin on the floor (by the beach)... i mean the chances of that are pretty slim.

Of course the bobby pin didn't just fall from the sky, but I'm guessing the universe directed me to look on the floor at that specific moment. With the feathers too, maybe the universe directed a bird to... idunno, shed feathers in my balcony? I'm not sure, all i'm saying is it works. This is only a few things but it worked every time when i was a believer. You just have to believe that's all. (it's just easier said then done because of how we think nowadays, trying to rationalize everything).

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
@Entr0py

:wink: I always say think of the worst that could happen and hope for something better, always remember the only thing you can control is yourself. Wishing to have control over others and what is happening outside of yourself is the way to suffering...because you can't control it.

;) ofc I'm a cynical self absorbed type 6 who only believes in himself. Take it for what its worth lmao.

Thx for the vid, will enjoy watching.

·
Administrator
14,130 Posts
I've read about the law of attraction etc. but I've always had a bit of resistance to it. I don't think I really WANT to be responsible for everything that happens in my reality--especially since I have intrusive thoughts--so the idea that I could manifest them really causes anxiety.

BUT I think that there is some good rational reason why it might work.

Like--you are supposed to focus on what you want to manifest--not what you dislike or what you don't want to happen.

Psychologically, it seems like focusing on positive possibilities will prepare you to be able to identify them faster when the possibilities do emerge in reality. The world is full of freak happenings, little miracles and little terrors--if we know what we want then it will be much easier to go through that door (the door of possibility) when it appears.

Like--if I am focusing on manifesting "I am happily married to a funny, attractive man," and then I meet a funny attractive man--I can immediately ask him to marry me (no, just kidding)-- but I might think, "hey, he seems a little like what I'm trying to manifest, I should try to get to know him", whereas if I am focusing on "I am such an idiotic ditz--no wonder I'm single"--I'm not necessarily going to react to the positive possibilities in an effective way.

It's kind of like looking for mushrooms--when you are focused on the mushroom, they appear everywhere--normally, they are pretty hidden.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Awesome stuff.
Watch the rest of the series as well. I found all parts to be quite fascinating. :)

@Entr0py

:wink: I always say think of the worst that could happen and hope for something better, always remember the only thing you can control is yourself. Wishing to have control over others and what is happening outside of yourself is the way to suffering...because you can't control it.

;) ofc I'm a cynical self absorbed type 6 who only believes in himself. Take it for what its worth lmao.

Thx for the vid, will enjoy watching.
Yes, pretty much. The only thing that will help you control the outside world is knowledge about it. First you need to study science to learn what you can and what you cannot wish for, and it can enable you to, to an extent, get from the world those things which you want.

·
Registered
ENFP
4,206 Posts
I believe that to some degree, people attract similar energies they put out.

I disagree with "The Secret." It's no secret. If it's truly a secret, then Rhonda Byrn's wouldn't be trying to market it.

On top of that, I also think the premises of the law of attraction has its flaws- in that, it also maintains a seed of victim blaming.

I see attracting what you want into your life as a combination of: luck, timing, and preparedness- meaning, you are at a stage in your life where you are ready, and you've prepared yourself to make that manifestations of what you wish or desire to come true, because situational factors present itself.

The Secret also reminds me of how social networking is important to making things happen. It's not always about what you know, but also who you know.

Much of it is jargon and delusional to think creating vision boards and thinking positively will get you somewhere. It does, because it's about your attitude- but if you've read the news on The Secret proponent and how one of the guys had his members killed when they are in sweat sauna because he wanted to demonstrate how mind over matter can conquer anything, you'll soon realize it's just another fad/cultist type thinking. There are no shortcuts in life.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I'm an ENFP and I think that positive thinking is essential to success. However there's no such thing as the law of attraction. It's ridiculous, I mean logically it cannot work. I mean think about this coming election. Say there are an equal number of followers of each candidate who think positively and try to use the law of attraction to make their candidate win. Half of those people are going to be disappointed. If you're auditioning for a role you really want, if everyone trying out for the role tries to use the law of attraction to get it, everyone but the person cast will be disappointed.

Logic prevails, people are all different and we all think and believe opposing thoughts and theories. If there were such thing as a law of attraction and everyone used it, the world would be a bit like that bit in Bruce Almighty when he just decides to say "yes" to everyone's prayers. Positive thinking will only get you so far, you've got to go for what you want. You may not get exactly what you want but your effort will most likely get you something.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
In the bigger picture the law of attraction does make sense to me. If you go through life with a positive attitude it can change your circumstances. I don't see it as some magical force or mystery. I see it as common sense. I don't believe we can dream things into life, although we can make our dreams come true by thinking positive and putting those positive thoughts into action. Once we change our circumstances through positive thinking, it can lead us to things we want.

I don't have any amazing stories, sorry. Although i can tell you that through positive thinking i have changed circumstances in my life that lead me into getting things i wanted. Positive thinking creates confidence leading you to places/people and circumstances that you likely wouldn't put time or effort into by staying in a negative realm. I didn't read the book so not sure what it all says, although i got the jest of the correlation between positive thinking/ changing circumstances.
I won't take the time to bother trying to say it better myself :p

Ok, I'm an xNTP. And no, I do not believe Law of Attraction works. It is a scam for gullible people. New Age is spreading so fast it really worries me. I watched all the ''main stream'' documentaries on youtube about it just to see what it actually is.

And it is basically bunch of lies about science and a promise of an easy solution to all your problems. It is a religion, just a modern one.
Here lies the Grand Canyon between xNTP and ENxP.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Must... resist... urge to troll...

No, no, I'm holding myself back. All I'll say is that I don't believe in such a 'law'. As @Entr0py said, it's equivalent to those mainstream 'scientific' methods to make people attracted to you or grow the size of your meat and two veggies. Can't forget those 'lose weight fast' adverts you find all over the internet; more stupidity backed by 'science'. Hell, science can't even figure out how to splice pig and human genes together... little do they know that I've successfully merged our two species with the help of a homeless guy from Florida. I don't remember what his name was, but I just call him Wilbur now.

Also, if anyone wants my money tree, contact me in private. It started growing Canadian dollars, which are basically useless to me right now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts