Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it sounded a lot more interesting in my brain when I had the thought the first time, but I didn't have time to type it out until now, and now it's sort of lost something. BUT! Anyway, I think sometimes I lead with Ne. This is what led me to think I was maybe an ENFP for a while there. But, I do sort of process out loud (case in point) and THEN, and only THEN, do I know how I feel about whatever it is.

Is this just me?

I feel very Ne sometimes.

I really don't think I'm an ENFP because I've met one (I think), and I've heard about people who have met them, and it just seems like I could not possibly be extroverted enough... but... the functions...?

Hmm.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I feel like I lead with Ne in my environment when I feel more in touch with it. So I will usually think of more witty remarks or clever ways of thinking about something and be better to engage with other people's thoughts, right now I feel like my Ne is pretty strong, actually maybe too strong to focus on certain things since my mind is working too fast. However the difference with an ENFP is they they use their Ne in a kind of controlled way as it's their normal way of viewing the world whereas that's Fi for us. So my Ne even when strong is kind of sporadic, a bit random and uncontrolled and quite inconsistent. When my Ne is turned "off" I feel much more just inside my own personal world and disconnected, but also more harmonious, which I find good.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel like I lead with Ne in my environment when I feel more in touch with it. So I will usually think of more witty remarks or clever ways of thinking about something and be better to engage with other people's thoughts, right now I feel like my Ne is pretty strong, actually maybe too strong to focus on certain things since my mind is working too fast. However the difference with an ENFP is they they use their Ne in a kind of controlled way as it's their normal way of viewing the world whereas that's Fi for us. So my Ne even when strong is kind of sporadic, a bit random and uncontrolled and quite inconsistent. When my Ne is turned "off" I feel much more just inside my own personal world and disconnected, but also more harmonious, which I find good.
Oh yeah, there is totally no control. Just a lot of floating ideas. I can see myself reaching out my hands and trying to quickly catch and grab each thought before they get away - I want to hold onto them so I can share and feel about it later. Lol.

What would be an example of using Ne in a controlled way, as you say ENFPs do?

Reactions: attic and Adonnus

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Oh yeah, there is totally no control. Just a lot of floating ideas. I can see myself reaching out my hands and trying to quickly catch and grab each thought before they get away - I want to hold onto them so I can share and feel about it later. Lol.

What would be an example of using Ne in a controlled way, as you say ENFPs do?
Well they are actually random like we are, it's just that I think they have a more consistent grasp of using it since it's the core of how they think. So actually I think INFP's Ne and ENFP's Ne are very similar, it's just that INFP's Ne is a more wild and maybe unreliable (but still fun) version of it, but while it can go on and off over the days ENFP's Ne is always there and pretty much never off.

Normally I can understand how ENFP's think but sometimes they will make connections that don't seem obvious to me. Also INFP's Ne can to me seem kind of "rough" as in crude around the edges, whereas with an ENFP it will have a kind of "flow" that will be constant, I think that's describing what I mean by in a controlled way.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Well, as an ENFP I understand what @Adonnus is talking about Ne being sporadic as the same happens to me except with Fi. There will be times where I'll lose touch with Fi, or use it poorly but no matter what I do Ne is always there.

I think it's a little oxymoronic calling Ne for ENFPs more 'controlled' since Ne is a very uncontrolled function and using that word might allude to Ni more than Ne. Ne still jumps to random ideas and is forever expansive sometimes too much so that your mind is filled with this mess of thoughts. That's where I need Fi or Te to 'control' it and give me some conclusions.

Maybe ENFPs who lost touch with Fi are more likely to have a thousand answers but no conclusion whereas INFPs who lose touch with Ne are more likely to have a conclusion before they have seen all the angles?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, as an ENFP I understand what @Adonnus is talking about Ne being sporadic as the same happens to me except with Fi. There will be times where I'll lose touch with Fi, or use it poorly but no matter what I do Ne is always there.

I think it's a little oxymoronic calling Ne for ENFPs more 'controlled' since Ne is a very uncontrolled function and using that word might allude to Ni more than Ne. Ne still jumps to random ideas and is forever expansive sometimes too much so that your mind is filled with this mess of thoughts. That's where I need Fi or Te to 'control' it and give me some conclusions.

Maybe ENFPs who lost touch with Fi are more likely to have a thousand answers but no conclusion whereas INFPs who lose touch with Ne are more likely to have a conclusion before they have seen all the angles?
Wait, wait, I don't think I can even follow this... wait... hmm. I don't think I've ever lost touch with my Ne. What would that even look like? My beloved Ne - may it never leave me!

I feel very ENFP in this way. I mean, I FEEL like I rarely have conclusions or closure... that's why I come on here so you can all tell me matter-of-factly, THIS is how it IS, twirler... we are certain. As much as I hate being bossed, it's comforting to know some people know.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Wait, wait, I don't think I can even follow this... wait... hmm. I don't think I've ever lost touch with my Ne. What would that even look like? My beloved Ne - may it never leave me!

I feel very ENFP in this way. I mean, I FEEL like I rarely have conclusions or closure... that's why I come on here so you can all tell me matter-of-factly, THIS is how it IS, twirler... we are certain. As much as I hate being bossed, it's comforting to know some people know.
Maybe you ARE an ENFP. Hmm, how to we work this out though? Perhaps a little research on the INFP forums. I wish more would pipe up in this thread.

Well, we can start with something simple, maybe dispelling your notions of what it means to be extraverted. Why do you think you don't fit the extravert label?

What's your relationship with Te and Si respectively?

Reactions: twirler

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,634 Posts
I myself feel like an ambivert, so I'm an ANFP :tongue:

Yeah, I feel like I lead with Ne(in my best state) because I don't cast judgement too soon. I can find loopholes and humor and all these other nice things. It's hard for me to actually recognize when I'm doing Fi things. It feels like it works as a unit.

I know that I'm INFP and not ENFP because of the inferior functions. Te is my desire and my bane. Order upsets me and pleases me, makes me panic and makes me calm down. My biggest panic is trying to figure out when to leave so that I arrive to an event on time. If I'm early or late, it's a failure. I can never be right on time unless I don't think about it! My biggest waste of time in a day is trying to schedule personal events and goals for the day. I never follow any of them, and it makes me so mad! And the next day, I open my calendar and start over! Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result... I'm running late to something right now!!! It is three hours prior to the event, but my time is not being spent according to the master schedule. ...whatever...

Si is just some third wheel. I think with it, but not of it. I never have toxic nostalgia or something like that. I don't feel the need to cling to the past, nor do I feel perplexity because of it. Si just is; Te is turbulent.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe you ARE an ENFP. Hmm, how to we work this out though? Perhaps a little research on the INFP forums. I wish more would pipe up in this thread.

Well, we can start with something simple, maybe dispelling your notions of what it means to be extraverted. Why do you think you don't fit the extravert label?

What's your relationship with Te and Si respectively?
So nice of you to help me think this through! I guess I think I am an introvert because of how exhausted I am by people, and I relate to a lot of the INFPs on here better than ENFPs (so it seems). At my work, some days I can go all day without talking to anyone (on the phone or in-person), and that is a good day to me. I can talk one-on-one with someone nonstop (ISTP), but I am only energized by that kind of close intentional conversation. I don't think I LOOK introverted - people have literally told me that I am "bubbly" (which is kind of funny to me), but I think it's cause I'm acting to blend.

I enjoy extroverted things sometimes. I like dancing, theater, and "bopping around" -- often, I would text a friend bored and be like "Do you want to go get coffee or something?" But, I always take into account the expense. Sometimes I think I use these things as more as distractions from my inner world rather than for enjoyment - BOTH things wear me out - either myself or the heavy superficial interaction, so I take turns.

From what I know of Te, it is foreign to me. Controlling my external environment seems impossible. I think I am a good problem-solver and troubleshooter, but very indecisive. I run into walls, which might be related? There is no decisive action by me, but I do like closure... sometimes. Like, for example, my coworkers love to throw out ideas and never implement. I can't STAND that. I want the implementation to happen. But, I also am a Type 6, suffer from anxiety, and closure brings me sort of a calming relief. So, I basically activate my Te because no one else is (moving forward), but I resent it.

As for Si, I don't like to rage on with nostalgia, but I have trained myself not to do that. I do have a good memory.

Are there other Te and Si questions you could ask to help me understand how they interact within myself?

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
I'm an ENFP married to an INFP. I believe my first 3 functions are well developed. My Si is hilarious. Think 1 day old baby who needs a diaper change--- or something. It's interesting how we will view the things we are good and bad at as different character traits.
So his Si makes it so (in my opinion) his memory for places (good at finding places) and plots in books and movies (which for some reason go right out of the head of a lot of us ENFPS) is much better than mine and he can remember history and names and pull all of his data out from years ago. The ranting with nostalgia might be a Fi-Si thing... but my husband doesn't do that-- ever. Not into nostalgia thank goodness (I hate nostalgia, I want things good NOW).
My Te is much better at remembering numbers (but it's not like INFPs can't be good with numbers). and my Te likes systems and making decisions. It plays along with my Ne for facts, which it wouldn't for you guys--- your strength is that Fi-Si combo. Mine the Ne-Te which makes us USUALLY pretty up-beat people (not everyone, though). When alone I feel my feelings and I express them to those I love or if I feel like I need to stand up against evil.
The most telling thing I'm hearing in you is that people are exhausting. You're an INFP, my friend. ENFPs have endless energy for people-- especially meeting NEW people. If we are stuck in Fi and if it's a negative feeling then sometimes we might not want to get our fancy clothes on and put ourselves out there--- BUT if we do go! Watch out! I'm going to try to connect with everyone and I'm going to go home still talking about the whole thing and basically they had to throw me out and my head is still buzzing with all the new input. My husband says that at a party, "When you start having a really good time, that's about the time that I need to get home."
So I like watching Stephen Colbert who is an INFP. When he's on his show then he is using a lot of Ne (even more so in the old show the Colbert Report-- loved it!) So are many comedians like--- oh gosh, most comedians it seems like to me. Louis CK, Patton Oswald (is that his name?) they use their Ne while on stage. They go home and get centered in their Fi.
It takes well developed Ne to BE a INFP. You're going to be using it every day, of course to get all your information. Otherwise you wouldn't get any new info and Fi can spiral downward sometimes in a situation like this.
My husband uses Fi-Ne together when talking to me and he is animated usually when talking to me. It was a shock for me to find out when we were dating what he acts like around others in social situations, or even around his own family. He clams up completely and ducks his head! I was shocked! He was so outgoing with me from day 1! Gosh, this makes me feel so special that he really only gets this animated with me and his very closest friends, but even with them he never strings more than 3 sentences together.
I love my INFP husband so SO much. You guys are a wonderful type and I only really get to go really deeply into all my topics because of him. I also know how it's hard for some INFPs (my husband included) sometimes and we need all of it to create someone like William Shakespeare, INFP who understood human nature so deeply.

Reactions: Falling Foxes

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
I'm an ENFP married to an INFP. I believe my first 3 functions are well developed. My Si is hilarious. Think 1 day old baby who needs a diaper change--- or something. It's interesting how we will view the things we are good and bad at as different character traits.
So his Si makes it so (in my opinion) his memory for places (good at finding places) and plots in books and movies (which for some reason go right out of the head of a lot of us ENFPS) is much better than mine and he can remember history and names and pull all of his data out from years ago. The ranting with nostalgia might be a Fi-Si thing... but my husband doesn't do that-- ever. Not into nostalgia thank goodness (I hate nostalgia, I want things good NOW).
My Te is much better at remembering numbers (but it's not like INFPs can't be good with numbers). and my Te likes systems and making decisions. It plays along with my Ne for facts, which it wouldn't for you guys--- your Ne is your only developed extroverted trait, introversion is that Fi-Si combo. I present as Ne-Te which makes us USUALLY pretty up-beat people when dealing with our outside world (not everyone, though). When alone I feel my feelings and I express them to those I love or if I feel like I need to stand up against evil-- it's really my only developed introverted state, Si I just can't really even pin-point in me.
The most telling thing I'm hearing in you is that people are exhausting. You're an INFP, my friend. ENFPs have endless energy for people-- especially meeting NEW people. If we are stuck in Fi and if it's a negative feeling then sometimes we might not want to get our fancy clothes on and put ourselves out there--- BUT if we do go! Watch out! I'm going to try to connect with everyone and I'm going to go home still talking about the whole thing and basically they had to throw me out and my head is still buzzing with all the new input. My husband says that at a party, "When you start having a really good time, that's about the time that I need to get home."
So I like watching Stephen Colbert who is an INFP. When he's on his show then he is using a lot of Ne (even more so in the old show the Colbert Report-- loved it!) So are many comedians like--- oh gosh, most comedians it seems like to me. Louis CK, Patton Oswald (is that his name?) they use their Ne while on stage. They go home and get centered in their Fi.
It takes well developed Ne to BE a INFP. You're going to be using it every day, of course to get all your information. Otherwise you wouldn't get any new info and Fi can spiral downward sometimes in a situation like this.
My husband uses Fi-Ne together when talking to me and he is animated usually when talking to me. It was a shock for me to find out when we were dating what he acts like around others in social situations, or even around his own family. He clams up completely and ducks his head! I was shocked! He was so outgoing with me from day 1! Gosh, this makes me feel so special that he really only gets this animated with me and his very closest friends, but even with them he never strings more than 3 sentences together.
I love my INFP husband so SO much. You guys are a wonderful type and I only really get to go really deeply into all my topics because of him. I also know how it's hard for some INFPs (my husband included) sometimes and we need all of it to create someone like William Shakespeare, INFP who understood human nature so deeply.

Reactions: twirler

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Alesha

Thank you so much!

Do you find that you are ever exhausted by people as ENFP? I read that they are the most introverted extroverts.

I actually don't mind meeting new people - IF they are (could be) interesting. But, chances are, they are not. Lol. I do still scan my environment seeking connections, but my Si remembers being disappointed in the past, so it now avoids.

Reactions: Llyralen

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
So nice of you to help me think this through! I guess I think I am an introvert because of how exhausted I am by people, and I relate to a lot of the INFPs on here better than ENFPs (so it seems). At my work, some days I can go all day without talking to anyone (on the phone or in-person), and that is a good day to me. I can talk one-on-one with someone nonstop (ISTP), but I am only energized by that kind of close intentional conversation. I don't think I LOOK introverted - people have literally told me that I am "bubbly" (which is kind of funny to me), but I think it's cause I'm acting to blend.

I enjoy extroverted things sometimes. I like dancing, theater, and "bopping around" -- often, I would text a friend bored and be like "Do you want to go get coffee or something?" But, I always take into account the expense. Sometimes I think I use these things as more as distractions from my inner world rather than for enjoyment - BOTH things wear me out - either myself or the heavy superficial interaction, so I take turns.

From what I know of Te, it is foreign to me. Controlling my external environment seems impossible. I think I am a good problem-solver and troubleshooter, but very indecisive. I run into walls, which might be related? There is no decisive action by me, but I do like closure... sometimes. Like, for example, my coworkers love to throw out ideas and never implement. I can't STAND that. I want the implementation to happen. But, I also am a Type 6, suffer from anxiety, and closure brings me sort of a calming relief. So, I basically activate my Te because no one else is (moving forward), but I resent it.

As for Si, I don't like to rage on with nostalgia, but I have trained myself not to do that. I do have a good memory.

Are there other Te and Si questions you could ask to help me understand how they interact within myself?
As Alesha said, with that little ramble you definitely seem like an INFP now. I would argue though that walking into walls is more of a Si thing...? It's perceiving not judging... but then people will probably argue "that has nothing to do with functions!" although it's definitely an INFP stereotype of having your heads in the clouds. I don't walk into walls but I never know where I am... I'm a lost child, I always forget when I literally just came from and without other people I'd probably still be wandering aimlessly in some city somewhere.

And yeah, maybe we're all forced to develope Te in our work place but Si isn't something which is neccessarily encouraged as much.

I'm not sure what to ask to be honest... maybe I'll think of something when I'm in a better frame of mind.

@Alesha

Thank you so much!

Do you find that you are ever exhausted by people as ENFP? I read that they are the most introverted extroverts.

I actually don't mind meeting new people - IF they are (could be) interesting. But, chances are, they are not. Lol. I do still scan my environment seeking connections, but my Si remembers being disappointed in the past, so it now avoids.
You know, after a lot of consideration, everything which I considered to be introverted about myself was not because I was exhausted by people. I am very much energised by people and I crave being surrounded by people regularly. But I love escaping them too, hiding away by myself just to reflect on things... okay, I don't 'love' reflecting on things but I need to. That alone time for daydreams is extremely important. There were also a lot of moments where I just did not feel like engaging with people. So I'd go off into daydreams in the middle of a social gathering or just listen quietly and let others dominate the conversation when I don't feel the need to be engaged with them. So to certain types of people they considered me to be 'quiet' but really I just don't care to compete with them and/or I don't enjoy their topics. I think I often got that response from ESFJs.

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
@Alesha

Thank you so much!

People are where i get more energy--- that's why extroverts seek others out. I only hear about people being exhausting from introverts.

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
@twirler ENFPs do need alone time to feel feelings and daydream. Sometimes I don't feel like seeking others out if I'm in a negative mood about myself or something or if I'm really enjoying my alone time like reading or watching something I love and I'm comfy--- but then when I do get with people it's energizing and I try to connect with most people. I don't know, some people can be pretty close to the line. That might be where you find yourself. Fi with well developed Ne. I usually do think of myself as a Ne with well developed Fi. Fi is where I live 40% of the time, maybe? I'm less decisive than my husband it seems like to me. You will know you best and there are variations in every person.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts