Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear fellow INFPs,

according to your own experiences,
is it possible for you to learn and improve in how to focus on the important/priority task at hand, instead of wandering around aimlessly and keep everything open-ended, which usually means: procrastination and more delay at the urgent task? (eg: damn internet endless browsing!)

seems to be the biggest problem to me for now, and at age 28 right now and still haven't "achieved" anything, especially as marked by society's current standards, this "lack focus" thing seems to be less cute anymore :sad:
as much as I like to play around in life and keep everything's open-ended, I know that if I kept doing this, in the end I will achieve nothing, because almost every important thing usually needs a certain dedication and focus and commitment!

anybody have any suggestion or advice, based on your own experiences on how to tackle this cursed lack-focus and procrastination issue?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Yes, it can be greatly improved. Like most things it can be learned and as they say "practice makes perfect". One thing you can do is to have defined goals. Goals give you motivation and purpose which helps you get organized. You can have a long term goal, which can stretch years into the future but its also important to have short term goals, which can only be in play for a day or even a few hours. An example of a short term goal would be "today I will do an hour of study" or "today i will apply for a new job". If you try and set yourself a goal for each day you will get a lot of stuff done, which contributes to whatever long term goal you choose.

Edit: There is an art to setting goals. Try and make them practical and achievable. Each time you achieve one of your goals you gain the confidence to achieve another. Also if you set to big of a goal not only do you risk the disappointment of not achieving it but it seems overwhelming and intimidating, which leads to procrastination. So when you are facing a large task, break it down into smaller, easily achievable goals. For example I have an essay I need to write, when I think of the essay as a whole it seems unattainable, so I break it down into smaller achievable goals such as:

Day 1: study and think about the question
Day2: Research
Day3: Study research
Day4: Write essay.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's a very good advice, Luke. thanks for sharing that!
it's funny of how I can forget such simple straight-forward thing like goal-setting, while I'm being all very 'intuitive' and 'creative' in many random unpractical things.

one question though: do you still find yourself addicted to internet, such as: browsing, games, reading wikipedias, youtubes, etc?
a day could really go by really fast sometimes, from 1 hour into FIVE straight hours browsing, and the next thing I knew, I was so depressed and felt like "damn..time moves so fast and despite all the interesting browsings, I haven't achieved anything REAL again today!" :crying:

how do you tackle this addiction issue?
is it by goal-setting again, or in this case, using "time-limit" strategy ie: "I will browse Internet for ONE hour, and after that, I'll close all the windows, including PersonalityCafe!" ?

Reactions: Luke

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Both goal setting and time limiting are good ideas. You can also use your love of the internet as a way to reward and motivate yourself, you can set a rule for yourself, "If I do one hour of study, then as a reward I can use the internet."

Reactions: niki

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both goal setting and time limiting are good ideas. You can also use your love of the internet as a way to reward and motivate yourself, you can set a rule for yourself, "If I do one hour of study, then as a reward I can use the internet."
in other words: focus on the goal/action first, THEN when have time, go nuts with browsing around etc lol

excellent point.
thanks!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
When it comes to my own personal goals I can focus on them for ages no problem but when it's college related I always seem to leave everything on the very last day and then rush to get it all done, I know I do this all the time yet I carry on doing it.
"I'll do that later I'm doing this first" then that things leads onto another onto another onto another lol...
Then when I'm bored with nothing to do "Maybe I should do my work....Nah can't be bothered" :mellow:

·
Registered
752 Posts
I tend to try to block out open-minded and just focus straightforward on what needs to be done. The reason why I do it is because I know if I decide to start something open-minded, then somewhere down that line, I'll get distracted/start dreaming, and lose my way. Daydreaming is one of my biggest enemies when it comes to this, and it's screwed me over so many times in the past. I can't completely erase daydreaming; it's apart of who I am. So, I'm learning to control that, by having strict goals that can lead to a degree of open mindedness after accomplishing them..

For example: One of the things I want to do is to go to and perform well in College. I know if I focus on my grades and work, I'll be able to accomplish that. Once I accomplish that, I'll be satisfied with myself, which is also important but more importantly, it can attract potential friends/girlfriends since people like others who are themselves. I suppose it's a little weird, and possibly a bit selfish, but I feel it can get the job done.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Responsibility works for me. I clean at a hospital. I know it doesn't sound like the most important job in the world, but the fact is that infection is the #1 death cause at hospitals, so if I don't clean a room or a bed properly, that could mean someone dies. That motivates me to do my job, do it right and do it on time.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I treat myself like Pavlov's dog, honestly. I'll bring down a bag of chocolates and after each section of a piece of work I have to do is completed, I allow myself one. I do this until I'm finished.

That's if it's work I DONT like. if I enjoy what I'm doing (like art) where you assume procrastination shouldn't be an issue yet it somehow is and I blame being infp, i just gotta buckle down and do it. i like staying up until the wee hours of the morning. Solitude is great for finishing projects.

However, I wish my computer would just disappear sometimes. It sucks wayyy to much of my soul into it's glaring, unforgiving screen.

Reactions: niki
1 - 9 of 9 Posts