Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recommended for anyone new to MBTI, or any NF who might... misunderstand us.

I suppose you never really expected a warm welcome on an intp forum, but I think perhaps we need to create some kind of INTP translator to avoid offending others (seriously, great idea).The main implication being that everything INTPs say should be rounded up in terms of positivity..

Simple translation: INTP=> Feeler (In this case INFP)

‘Thank you for sharing this.’ => ‘OMG!! I LOVE YOU!! Thanks so much!! You’re the best!!! XOXOXOXOX

(43.73% accurate)
So. Since a translator for emotions would be near-impossible to construct, let's have the INTPs teach their "language," and everyone else... I hope you understand binary, as some of us might be inclined to code it so that only their kin may understand. (This is not recommended, INTPs.)

Translations may also be requested.

I'll start:

"Hmm. I don't know if I have something going on that night or not."
------------> "I really don't want to make a snap decision, because I'm not a party person on the best of days and I think I might be coming down with a cold, so I'm going to say something that counts as socially nonoffensive. Email me later."

"I'm doing... nothing much."
------------> "Go away. I'm writing code, building a jetpack for my cat, doing work, or plotting world domination. It's quite complicated, and maybe I don't really want you to know what I'm doing anyway."

"I don't really know that much about Pokemon."
------------> "I have no clue what you're saying, but if it's Japanese I'm hearing, shut up."

Go forth and conquer!

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
my cat likes this..

could be helpful for those that date intp's.

·
Banned
2,116 Posts
This text book is copyrighted under a GNU license.

The authors will assume a basic foundation in inductive and deductive logic, naive set theory and a masochistic preference for self-denial in the social, emotional and hygienic arenas in favor of the pursuit of knowledge.

Now, for some simple phrases. Remember, pronunciations are per English rules. INTP is a dialect, not a language proper.

"I like to do things in multiples of prime numbers."

This first phrase is meant to imply that you are a mathematically illiterate buffoon. The authors have used this on occasion to stop simian conversational counterparts talking for anywhere from few seconds to few hours.

"That's not logical."

While the consensus of scholars for many years has stated that this is a generalization of the previous phrase, recent arguments by Sleeve, Redman and the author have validated the long standing minority opinion that this not the case. There is evidence that this may not even be a personal attack, but rather a characterization of the previous speaker's comments without any personal element.

Which leads us to our last phrase for the lesson:

"you refuse to be logical."

This is possibly the strongest insult in this dialect. It's severity is tantamount to "you're fat" in Woman or "you're smart" in *******. If you hear this phrase, you've just been rejected as a human being. Utter with great caution.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Most of my communication is nonverbal:

:angry: = HOW ARE YOU THIS FUCKING STUPID?!

:dry: = No, I'm not angry. This is just how I look when I'm observing you.

:unsure: = I don't know why you're being emotionally vulnerable and crying in front of me, but please stop. I really don't know what the fuck to do!

:frustrating: = I'm trying to look empathetic, because you just told me something you find unfortunate, but I really couldn't give two shits.

:crazy: = I don't know how to get out of this conversation and/or party, so I'm going to keep smiling and hope that my boyfriend comes back so I don't have to keep standing here listening to you by myself.

:wink: = Disrobe.

:shocked: = This is me when looking at the cesspool of the Internet, but rules #1 and #2.

:blushed: = I'm constipated.

:sad: = You disappoint me.

:tongue:/:kitteh:/:laughing: = Haha, I actually like you!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Wait one second. I'm reading something. = Can you come back tomorrow? Something groundbreaking is about to happen.

If you ask us what we're doing this weekend and we respond with:

1. Well, I have some things I've been putting off - laundry, cleaning up around the house, grocery shopping, etc. I have to use this weekend to catch up on all those things. = Don't ask. I'm busy.

2. Not much. What about you? = Wanna hang out?

If you ask us to come to a party/baby shower/networking event/or any other random event and we respond with:

1. Hmmm, I don't know. I've got some things I need to take care of. But, we'll see. I'll let you know. = In an ideal world this invitation of yours would be an "open invitation" so that I can decide 2 hours before the event if I'm in the mood to go or not. Cuz, I really have no idea if I'll want to go or not. It just depends on the circumstances of that day.

2. Nah, I think I'll pass. Thanks for the invite though. = I sincerely appreciate the fact that you considered me for this event. That shows that you're a really good friend. Thank you. Please don't be offended by my refusal as I might want to go somewhere with you next time if I'm feeling more "social". Don't write me off just yet.

3. Yeah, I'll definitely be there. Should I bring anything? = I'm excited about this. Sounds really fun.

Hey, we should go hang out tonight at X. Wanna go? = The planets have aligned and I am actually feeling social. Please go with me. Please, please, please!!! I have to get my social fix. *puppy dog eyes*

·
Registered
304 Posts
"That's cool."
No, it's not. I don't care. This conversation is boring, and of no interest to me. Please, stop talking about this. I don't care about your hobby.

"That's cool."
I can't come up with anything to say, but that's amazing, and I can only come up with this short phrase. If I had enough time to think over my response, I would be much more eloquent in describing how wonderful this is.

"That's cool."
That thing is moderately satisfying to hear.

"That's cool."
I'm not listening. I hope this makes sense in context to our conversation that we're supposed to be having.

This is my go to phrase. I don't talk much in depth unless I'm talking about something that greatly interests me.

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
I was unaware that we communicated in an alternative syntax.
While I assiduously encourage others to eschew obfuscation, excessively verbose communication is frequently counterproductive to said endeavor.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
"That's cool."
No, it's not. I don't care. This conversation is boring, and of no interest to me. Please, stop talking about this. I don't care about your hobby.

"That's cool."
I can't come up with anything to say, but that's amazing, and I can only come up with this short phrase. If I had enough time to think over my response, I would be much more eloquent in describing how wonderful this is.

"That's cool."
That thing is moderately satisfying to hear.

"That's cool."
I'm not listening. I hope this makes sense in context to our conversation that we're supposed to be having.

This is my go to phrase. I don't talk much in depth unless I'm talking about something that greatly interests me.

Not just an INTP thing fo sho.

Reactions: paintfish

·
Registered
137 Posts
A lot of the posts (albeit in humour) do describe the way I often hide my true feelings/intentions. Perhaps INTPs are not as brutally honest as we'd like to think :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
While I assiduously encourage others to eschew obfuscation, excessively verbose communication is frequently counterproductive to said endeavor.
True, however, sesquipedalianism is oftentimes the most efficient way to convey certain nuances. I much prefer using fewer long words to using an excess of short words. Plus, substituting longer vocabulary for the more mundane is, I find, a rather excellent method of facilitating efficiency in the areas of verbal communication and stimulating an acceleration of thought processes.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Espouse elucidation. :laughing:

Oh INTPs, I have come to you with a worthy trial!

-Translate the following:

I love you-
Your my best friend-
I'm feeling really insecure-
I need a hug-
I'm sad-

·
Registered
999 Posts

I love you-
Your my best friend-
I need a hug-
I'm sad-
You spelled "your" wrong. It's "you're". It's hard to give you an exact translation if you don't spell correc.....................oh, nevermind. :)

As for the translation, it appears that you are saying something like "Dear INTP, I want to take advantage of you" in some tribal language.

·
Registered
999 Posts
My responses would be as follows:

I love you-
To a significant other: I love you too.
Very close family member: I love you too.
Most others: Aww, thanks. Very kind of you.

Your my best friend-
And you are mine. Squishy hugs.

How can I help?

I need a hug-
Big hug. (Most of us enjoy hugs. Or maybe it's 50/50 on the hugging, not sure)

How can I help? Wanna go do something fun? Or do you just want more hugs? Take your pick.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
"I like to do things in multiples of prime numbers."

This first phrase is meant to imply that you are a mathematically illiterate buffoon. The authors have used this on occasion to stop simian conversational counterparts talking for anywhere from few seconds to few hours.
But I actually like doing things in prime numbers. It's why I always do things in multiples of 2, 11 or 2^43,112,609 − 1...

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Espouse elucidation. :laughing:

Oh INTPs, I have come to you with a worthy trial!

I love you- 'Dude, You have no idea how much I needed these doritos' or 'The english language simply isn't capable of describing how much you mean to me'

You're my best friend- Pretty self explanatory...

I'm feeling really insecure- Honestly, I've never heard or heard of an INTP saying this.

I need a hug- 'Despite my dislike of physical contact, I would like you to wrap your arms around me in a comforting manner because I have had a bad day'.

I'm sad- Not much to translate, just hide any firearms...

Reactions: Saboteur
1 - 20 of 60 Posts