Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I'm finding this technique for remembering to be very effective. I was actually taken back by how quickly I had committed it all to mind - the following day of my first go at it and I was writing down Chinese characters that native speakers easily recognized.

Here's the official site for it: Chineasy

There's also a book, which I've already ordered in for myself.

I'll be trying out some new mobile apps as well, and so far I'm liking "Chinese" (picture of a book with a Chinese flag), and "ChineseSkill" (cute panda pic). Apparently Chineasy is developing apps as well, which I'll check out too. So far you can get all of this for free (aside from the book, which wasn't expensive), so that's also a bonus.

If you know of any other good sources for learning Chinese Mandarin, I would appreciate it. We can share sources and help eachother learn the language fast and effectively. Share anything that has worked for you - Youtube clips, books, apps, techniques...I'm eager to learn as quickly as I possibly can.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I find speaking the language makes it much easier to pick up. I think the difficult part about chinese isn't the speech though, it's remembering how to write the characters. But once you grasp how chinese characters were formed, its actually fairly easy to remember them. I took this from the british council website:

"Another major difference is the characters. Let’s take 人 (ren) as an example. A single 人 means a person, a human being. Two 人 make a new character, 从 (cong), which means to follow (one person followed by another person). Three 人 make 众, which means the masses or a crowd. Likewise, a single 木 means a tree or wood. Two 木 make 林, meaning woods. Three 木 make 森, which means a forest. We can build more complex Chinese characters by learning basic components and single-structure characters step by step" - This is the key to learning and recognizing Chinese characters.

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I find speaking the language makes it much easier to pick up. I think the difficult part about chinese isn't the speech though, it's remembering how to write the characters. But once you grasp how chinese characters were formed, its actually fairly easy to remember them. I took this from the british council website:

"Another major difference is the characters. Let’s take 人 (ren) as an example. A single 人 means a person, a human being. Two 人 make a new character, 从 (cong), which means to follow (one person followed by another person). Three 人 make 众, which means the masses or a crowd. Likewise, a single 木 means a tree or wood. Two 木 make 林, meaning woods. Three 木 make 森, which means a forest. We can build more complex Chinese characters by learning basic components and single-structure characters step by step" - This is the key to learning and recognizing Chinese characters.
True, I found that in China I was picking up the language so quickly, but back in Australia it went so slow.

Chineasy has an approach like that British counsel site, but makes it very visual, so it's a lot easier to remember. It's amazing how much easier something can be to remember with a visual aid.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Lang-8

I highly recommend using this site. You can write simple Chinese characters and have other people correct your words, grammar, and sentences by native speakers. You can also help other people improve on their English, so it's a win-win situation.

It's for free, and you can practice writing and learning Chinese characters every day. Best of all, there's an abundance of native Chinese speakers and not enough English speakers, so everything you write will be seen for sure and corrected really fast.

·
Registered
216 Posts
By the way, I'm a native Chinese speaker. So if you ever need help, feel free to drop me a message :).

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lang-8

I highly recommend using this site. You can write simple Chinese characters and have other people correct your words, grammar, and sentences by native speakers. You can also help other people improve on their English, so it's a win-win situation.

It's for free, and you can practice writing and learning Chinese characters every day. Best of all, there's an abundance of native Chinese speakers and not enough English speakers, so everything you write will be seen for sure and corrected really fast.
Cool, thank you. I'll get right into this...

By the way, I'm a native Chinese speaker. So if you ever need help, feel free to drop me a message :).
That's great! I'll send you a PM shorty...

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Need some motivation to learn Mandarin Chinese? Have a watch of this clip...

There's some very good reasons to learn the language!

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the book from Chineasy, and have been studying it. It was actually worth getting, and I can recommend it to others who want to learn Chinese. Thumbs up from me, and now considering buying the flash cards as well...

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, found a catchy song to help you remember the colors...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Reactions: He's a Superhero!

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Practicing basic responses...

Not yes - Bu shi - 不是
Not - Bu - 不
Yes - Shi - 是
It is - Shi de - 是的
Correct - Dui - 对
Good/Ok - Hao - 好
Good good - Hao hao - 好好
That's good - Hao de - 好的
Want - Yao - 要
Want that - Yao de - 要的
Who - Shei - 谁
Whose - Shei de - 谁的
Maybe - Ye xu - 也许
What - Shenme - 什么

There's some interesting ones that I don't have the character extra for...

When someone says "Hao a", "Ni hao a!" or "Shei a", expressing emotional emphases in what is being said, is there a character for this throw in sound, or is it just assumed?

·
Registered
691 Posts
I always get excited when foreigners want to learn Chinese. While I have zero experience in pedagogy, feel free to ask me if you need help on any Chinese idioms, words etc. I too, am a native Chinese speaker.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Practicing basic responses...

Not yes - Bu shi - 不是
Not - Bu - 不
Yes - Shi - 是
It is - Shi de - 是的
Correct - Dui - 对
Good/Ok - Hao - 好
Good good - Hao hao - 好好
That's good - Hao de - 好的
Want - Yao - 要
Want that - Yao de - 要的
Who - Shei - 谁
Whose - Shei de - 谁的
Maybe - Ye xu - 也许
What - Shenme - 什么

There's some interesting ones that I don't have the character extra for...

When someone says "Hao a", "Ni hao a!" or "Shei a", expressing emotional emphases in what is being said, is there a character for this throw in sound, or is it just assumed?
Hao a - 好 - Sure!/Of Course!
Ni hao a - 你好 - Hey there!
Shei a - 谁?- Who is it?

The "a" is an expression of excitement/exaggeration/emphasis, much like the effects of an exclamation mark (unless it is used in the case of a question).

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hao a - 好 - Sure!/Of Course!
Ni hao a - 你好 - Hey there!
Shei a - 谁?- Who is it?

The "a" is an expression of excitement/exaggeration/emphasis, much like the effects of an exclamation mark (unless it is used in the case of a question).
谢谢你!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
@He's a Superhero!

Before I recommended Anki to you, a spaced repetition system. If you haven't tried using it yet, you really should. Particularly since it has a number of additional features directly targeted at Chinese language learners.

Reactions: He's a Superhero!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts