Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other night, I was waiting for something or other and happened to have paper and a pen next to me by the computer. I didn't feel like drawing, so I randomly decided to teach myself to write in Uncial instead of print, because I wasn't about to sit there and do nothing.

Two hours later I was writing in pretty decent-looking Uncial and ParkAvenue BT, and the latter I've now adopted as my default handwriting.

I've also taught myself in the past to play the tin whistle, some video game music on the piano (without any prior piano experience--I was a terrible Zelda geek a few years ago xD), a tiny bit of Spanish which I've forgotten, and, a LONG time ago, Cursive (which I've also forgotten...).

The above story-thing has a point to it, that being this question: have any of you taught yourself to do something "just because"? Especially "just because it seems like a cool skill/bit of knowledge to have at this point in time"?

·
Registered
429 Posts
A few years ago I decided to learn Russian and Korean because I was bored. I got pretty far into them...til I got bored and stopped.

Recently I've been memorising pi.

3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971693993751058209749445923078164062862089986280348253421170679821480865132823066470938446095595822317253

Memorized all that today.

·
Registered
30 Posts
yep. I never stick with any one thing long enough to become proficient in it, though.
Definitely this. I've tried Esperanto, Spanish, random languages I had software for, calligraphy... Whatever currently interests me. I just don't have the follow through on anything I go into hoping to learn everything. Things like MBTI, which are approached more casually, I find keep my interest longer because there isn't a need to amass a huge amount of knowledge...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I *wanted* to get involved in archery simply because I find it interesting- But it was not to be, unfortunately. \: Maybe some day.

I've had the urge to learn various things, just for their own sake. I haven't gone through with a whole lot of them either because of lack of motivation/funds, or lack of funds causing it to require more motivation... etc.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
My current obsession is with programing in C++. After that, I hope I can learn other languages and stuff...

Lets see... does reading the entire textbook while in the middle of class count as "learning"? :unsure:

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I'm teaching myself to write with my non-dominant hand. I learned a little bit of old English. I'm training myself to play flamenco guitar. I taught myself some computer coding shit a while ago. I taught myself to play the piano a little bit. Little things like that, but I'm stuck with the same lame boredom malady :dry:
I'm almost jealous of my sister who's more apt to see things through as an xxTJ, but she doesn't seem as fascinated with learning things just for the sake of learning them anyway lol

·
Banned
17 Posts
I am naturally ambidextrous, but I write with my right hand. I decided to change that a while ago. I refused to write with my dominant hand for a while, and now I am ambidextrous in all areas. I am very keen on buying Rosetta Stone and teaching myself Latin. Why? Well, to be honest, I just want to know. Doesn't hurt that people think I'm smart when I do this kind of shit, either. :)

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I am naturally ambidextrous, but I write with my right hand. I decided to change that a while ago. I refused to write with my dominant hand for a while, and now I am ambidextrous in all areas.
Wait...But doesn't ambidextrous mean you're equally proficient at using your right hand as you are your left hand?!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts