Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have for a long time been observing my roommate while she is learning (If you are not a fan of them, at least allow them to teach you something). And I have been fascinated by her learning system, she associates what she learns with "how it feels", "how it would be like touching that". For example, she remembered Lissajous' figures by how they reacted with her senses ( "oh, I know that one because it looked rugged so it must have had an R" -style), she centralizes everything through a impressionistic picture. Does anyone relate to the style of learning? Or is she a new species of alien collapsed into Earth meant to learn through such an abstract way? I also thought that some types may actually indulge their tertiary function into their learning process as everyone describes learning as a slightly unusual process, so maybe it is correlated with a more unused function?

Now what I am curious about is, what could be the cause of this: maybe it is Si, maybe she has some sort of synesthesia, maybe just visual learning? (or maybe it is Maybelline in the end) Or just all of them together?

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
Definitely an alien. Tell her if she's a bad roommate you'll report her to the FBI.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, gonna let her free and watch her almost kill herself while making a salad and hear the complaints about me not cleaning my fridge. The sad life of an alien. Maybe they are allergic to dirty fridges and I have 0 common sense.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
And I have been fascinated by her learning system, she associates what she learns with "how it feels", "how it would be like touching that".
There is a technique to learn anything by association, in her case it seems to be sensation. With me its imagination, living in imagery or pictures associating the things I learn with the things that happen in my fictive story.

Anything given extra value allows neurons to connect to pathways that are already strong, thus giving a faster recovering of information.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a technique to learn anything by association, in her case it seems to be sensation. With me its imagination, living in imagery or pictures associating the things I learn with the things that happen in my fictive story.

Anything given extra value allows neurons to connect to pathways that are already strong, thus giving a faster recovering of information.
I have also thought of that myself, I also have that learning system, I extract the idea and connect it trying to enlarge it and often alternate it with weird fictive possibilities. It works harder with huge amounts of information, those stress me because my learning system is not step by step as hers is, she excels at it though.

·
Registered
ENTP
3,276 Posts
That's mainly how I learn too, by associating new info to older info. It's a lot like synestesia actually, it might be a form of synesthesia. It's a web of random bits of knowledge or any kind of data -sensory, too- that have nothing in common at first sight, but they do for me. It's weird, but I know others who do this process as well. I think it might be Ne/Ni, I'm not sure. I do know it's very different from other ways of learning, such as having mental lists of obviously similar things, ect.

·
Registered
775 Posts
What you describe with your roommate sounds very Ni to me, but what the comments are describing is more Ne/Si. My ENFP friend got a lot of use out of the memory technique where you imagine a physical place inside your mind and put things to remember in specific locations. Like (thing to remember) is in the bedroom next to the dresser or something. I can't find much use with it even though I'm a very visual learner. I have an easier time remembering actual visuals of what I'm remembering. I often remember test answers by remembering the layout of the page in the textbook with the answer.

Ni seems to remember with impressions and concepts and associations, particularly tied with sensory information. Where Si seems to register personal experiences better with memory, Se (at least for me as an Ni-dom) detaches the sensory experience from the actual experience in all but the relevant concept. So if I have a moment where a concept becomes particularly intense, the sensory experiences that amplified it will always be attached. Like your roommate mentioning the R sound and rugged. I heard a familiar guitar bit in a new song and took years to place it because I only remembered the impression and concept of the original song, and how it sounded. Neither of which could help me find the title. I felt the concept very distinctly, but it had nothing to do with the title or anything useful. Eventually another (random) song evoked the same concept and I was able to know where to look to find the song.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Ni/Se example from the song bit: the song was "Secretary" by Flint Eastwood. Hearing the part right before the chorus, I got clear senses of black and white visuals, the conceptual feel of grunge. Irreverence and coarseness and attitude. I could remember the original melody and how it made me feel, I could remember how it flowed over time, how it felt over time. I could remember listening to it with a sense of who I was when I listened to it. But mostly I remembered the attitude and fierceness.

Eventually I posted a comment on YouTube. Someone replied with a suggestion that wasn't accurate but did trigger a very similar concept, but that somehow jogged my memory enough to realize I was remembering a soundtrack, something irreverent and focused on a tough woman. Then I went through what it could've been and Tank Girl clicked.

The song was Shove by L7.

Every step of memory was focused on abstract concepts and explicit sensory information. That's how I learn.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ni/Se example from the song bit: the song was "Secretary" by Flint Eastwood. Hearing the part right before the chorus, I got clear senses of black and white visuals, the conceptual feel of grunge. Irreverence and coarseness and attitude. I could remember the original melody and how it made me feel, I could remember how it flowed over time, how it felt over time. I could remember listening to it with a sense of who I was when I listened to it. But mostly I remembered the attitude and fierceness.

Eventually I posted a comment on YouTube. Someone replied with a suggestion that wasn't accurate but did trigger a very similar concept, but that somehow jogged my memory enough to realize I was remembering a soundtrack, something irreverent and focused on a tough woman. Then I went through what it could've been and Tank Girl clicked.

Every step of memory was focused on abstract concepts and explicit sensory information. That's how I learn.
Then that rises some admirable threads of questions for me. She is an ISFJ and I have figured that out since the first day our eyes met, she has amazing perspectives due to her self-developed Ne but she still is ruled by Si (so no Ni there) so I see how Si and Ne could give the impression of Ni. And generally speaking ISFJs are still able to access Ni as it is a 2D function in their stack. It would be amazing if during learning process you are able to shift functions in order to broaden and stack information on a different level, so the human mind becomes even a more fascinating utopia inbetween consciousness as a promise.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Then that rises some admirable threads of questions for me. She is an ISFJ and I have figured that out since the first day our eyes met, she has amazing perspectives due to her self-developed Ne but she still is ruled by Si (so no Ni there) so I see how Si and Ne could give the impression of Ni. And generally speaking ISFJs are still able to access Ni as it is a 2D function in their stack. It would be amazing if during learning process you are able to shift functions in order to broaden and stack information on a different level, so the human mind becomes even a more fascinating utopia inbetween consciousness as a promise.
I could just misunderstand Si, too. I mostly just know how the use of Si looks (to me) in Ne users.

Ni and Si look alike in odd ways. Did my detailed description actually sound like her? If only partially, Si and Se may be more alike than I realized in this way (they are both sensors, after all). Or she uses Se, which is more likely I think than using Ni. According to socionics (which I know is a very different system but still), Si is the most out of reach for an Ni-dom. I would think Se would be more likely for an ISFJ. But again, Si is about personal experience, which likely uses descriptions of sensory information like Se even though the actual memory process is different. Like my ENFP friend with his rooms for memory, they're triggered by imagining walking through the spaces and seeing physical locations--a lot like someone here mentioned imagining fictional stories can work. Sensory information is important but the sense of personal experience is the key element for you, where it's purely sensory or conceptual for me. I can remember experiencing it but that is a mostly irrelevant detail and isn't very specific.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts

Either you're an Ne/Si user or I've been mistyped for the majority of my stay on PerC. XD

What you described is exactly what I experience. But I've always attributed it with Si/Ne.

EDIT: I'm mostly kidding on the mistypes. I'd be interested to see what other Ni/Se users have to say on this kind of sensory experience you described. I wonder if it's simply the same result produced by different means.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts