Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes back".

It's been used ad nauseam, to the point it seems that even trying to fight back will inevitably lead you to become as bad as who/what is harming you.

Reactions: stone100674

·
Registered
443 Posts
This isn't really a quote but a story. I don't like the story of the Giving Tree because the main character is so selfish. Reflecting on it made me also realize that it makes me feel bad about myself and wonder whether I'm fully appreciating the love people show for me or whether I'm just as bad.

On a side note Ryan Gosling has a tattoo of the Giving Tree so that's a thing.
Hair Facial hair Tattoo Eyewear Beard

I share his sentiments:
"That book is so f***ed up; that story’s the worst. I mean, at the end the tree is a stump and the old guy just sitting on him #8212; he’s just used him to death, and you’re supposed to want to be the tree? F*** you. You be the tree. I don’t want to be the tree"

I don't want to be the tree and I don't want to treat anyone like that tree was treated.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes back".

It's been used ad nauseam, to the point it seems that even trying to fight back will inevitably lead you to become as bad as who/what is harming you.
i agree that this Nieche quote has been overused (almost as much as "That which does not kill you, only makes you stronger"), but i think you have misinterpreted it slightly: he wasn't really saying that you will become as bad as a what you are fighting, he was saying that if all you see is darkness then it will permeate your soul and care should be taken to prevent it. I take this to mean that to be a slayer of dragons, one must remember the love of the village they protect: that it isn't about the darkness, but rather the preservation and safekeeping of the light.

·
Registered
427 Posts
i agree that this Nieche quote has been overused (almost as much as "That which does not kill you, only makes you stronger"), but i think you have misinterpreted it slightly: he wasn't really saying that you will become as bad as a what you are fighting, he was saying that if all you see is darkness then it will permeate your soul and care should be taken to prevent it. I take this to mean that to be a slayer of dragons, one must remember the love of the village they protect: that it isn't about the darkness, but rather the preservation and safekeeping of the light.
While I haven't read much of Nietzsche, I agree that his original interpretation was surely deeper than the current, mainstream one. My complaint is about the latter.

Reactions: StellarSkies

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
"YOLO"

Gah!

Reactions: Saturn Fox
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.