Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've taken several left-brain right-brain tests and I usually come out about 70% left brain, 30% right brain consistently (give or take 5% on each). However, I came across this and it appears that it goes clockwise to me, which implies right-brain dominance in visual cues.

Any insight as to why this might be the case? How do other INTJ's see the spinning object?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Hah...was going counterclowise for 3 seconds. I blinked and started going clockwise. 15 seconds passed... Back to counterclockwise.

I think I'm awesome-brained.

·
Banned
576 Posts
These tests may not be viable in the direction of today's recent neurological discoveries at least in the descriptions they give for the two dichotomies. But I am experiencing the same thing as desertwind. At first when leaning sideways on the left side it instantly went counter-clock wise as I blinked. But after that attempt it just occurs randomly no matter which side I lean my head.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you look at the .gif, it actually goes clockwise before turning and going counterclockwise at the very end.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
I've taken several left-brain right-brain tests and I usually come out about 70% left brain, 30% right brain consistently (give or take 5% on each). However, I came across this and it appears that it goes clockwise to me, which implies right-brain dominance in visual cues.

Any insight as to why this might be the case? How do other INTJ's see the spinning object?
Look at the foot that's up in the air and follow its movement. When it's going from left to right, "Want" to see it go behind the other leg, and voila, it will seem to go clockwise.

Now do the same in the opposite direction. When it's going from right to left, "WANT" to see it go beind the other leg, and voila, it will seem to go counter clockwise.

In other words, this image doesn't mean anything.

If you really want to, you can see the same leg just switching every time and you'll see just half circles being made, where the same foot is going from left to right and back, change directions on either most extreme left or right position.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have seen this .gif many times. Most of the times it has been used to determine sexuality... Haha!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Look at the foot that's up in the air and follow its movement. When it's going from left to right, "Want" to see it go behind the other leg, and voila, it will seem to go clockwise.

Now do the same in the opposite direction. When it's going from right to left, "WANT" to see it go beind the other leg, and voila, it will seem to go counter clockwise.

In other words, this image doesn't mean anything.

If you really want to, you can see the same leg just switching every time and you'll see just half circles being made, where the same foot is going from left to right and back, change directions on either most extreme left or right position.
so glad you said that for me. you smart intj you.

·
Registered
831 Posts
If I block out the body and look to the feet only and see that the movement is not a circle, then scroll up and decide which way it is going then when I look the rest it remain going the same way (it might suddenly flip).

[if anyone else also got obsessed with it...]

·
Registered
5,535 Posts

Just going by the list of right brain functions on that website, I don't see why right-brain dominance in visual cues should be mutually exclusive with INTJ-ness ... or ENTP-ness for that matter.

uses feeling
"big picture" oriented
imagination rules
symbols and images
present and future
philosophy & religion [if religion means understanding religious systems vs. believing in them]
can "get it" (i.e. meaning)
believes
appreciates
spatial perception not sure about this because my own spatial perception seems somewhat hampered by my femaleness, but I do score surprisingly high
knows object function
fantasy based not sure what they mean by fantasy, so I included it because our crackpot schemes might seem like fantasy to others
presents possibilities
impetuous
risk taking
In fact, seeing as Te/Ti is 'only' the auxiliary function in INTJs/ENTPs it would make sense for them to be slightly right-brain dominant, no?

edit to add:
http://frank.mtsu.edu/~studskl/hd/LRBrain.html said:
The left brain processes in a linear, sequential, logical manner. When you process on the left side, you use information piece by piece to solve a math problem or work out a science experiment. When you read and listen, you look for the pieces so that you can draw logical conclusions. Your decisions are made on logic--proof. If you process primarily on the right side of the brain, you use intuition. You may know the right answer to a math problem but not be sure how you got it. You may have to start with the answer and work backwards. On a quiz, you have a gut feeling as to which answers are correct, and you are usually right. In writing, it is the left brain that pays attention to mechanics such as spelling, agreement, and punctuation. But the right side pays attention to coherence and meaning; that is, your right brain tells you it "feels" right. Your decisions will be based on feelings.

Left-brained students have little trouble expressing themselves in words. Right-brained students may know what they mean but often have trouble finding the right words. The best illustration of this is to listen to people give directions. The left-brained person will say something like "From here, go west three blocks and turn north on Vine Street. Go three or four miles and then turn east onto Broad Street." The right-brained person will sound something like this: "Turn right (pointing right) by the church over there (pointing again). Then you will pass a McDonalds and a Walmart. At the next light, turn right toward the BP station." So how is this relevant to planning study strategies? Right-brained students need to back up everything visually. If it's not written down, they probably won't remember it. And it would be even better for right-brained students to illustrate it. They need to get into the habit of making a mental video of things as they hear or read them. Right-brained students need to know that it may take them longer to write a paper, and the paper may need more revision before it says what they want it to say. This means allowing extra time when a writing assignment is due.

The left side of the brain deals with things the way they are--with reality. When left-brained students are affected by the environment, they usually adjust to it. Not so with right-brained students; they try to change the environment! Left-brained people want to know the rules and follow them. In fact, if there are no rules for situations, they will probably make up rules to follow! Left-brained students know the consequences of not turning in papers on time or of failing a test, but right-brained students are sometimes not aware that there is anything wrong.

The left brain has no trouble processing symbols. Many academic pursuits deal with symbols such as letters, words, and mathematical notations. The left-brained person tends to be comfortable with linguistic and mathematical endeavors. Left-brained students will probably just memorize vocabulary words or math formulas. The right brain, on the other hand, wants things to be concrete. The right-brained person wants to see, feel, or touch the real object. Right-brained students may have had trouble learning to read using phonics. They prefer to see words in context and to see how the formula works. To use your right brain, create opportunities for hands-on activities. Use something real whenever possible. You may also want to draw out a math problem or illustrate your notes.

By contrast, the approach of the right-brained student is random. If you are right-brained, you may flit from one task to another. You will get just as much done but perhaps without having addressed priorities. An assignment may be late or incomplete, not because you weren't working, but because you were working on something else.

The left side of the brain processes information in a linear manner. It process from part to whole. It takes pieces, lines them up, and arranges them in a logical order; then it draws conclusions. The right brain, however, processes from whole to part, holistically. It starts with the answer. It sees the big picture first, not the details. If you are right-brained, you may have difficulty following a lecture unless you are given the big picture first. Do you now see why it is absolutely necessary for a right-brained person to read an assigned chapter or background information before a lecture or to survey a chapter before reading? If an instructor doesn't consistently give an overview before he or she begins a lecture, you may need to ask at the end of class what the next lecture will be and how you can prepare for it. If you are predominantly right-brained, you may also have trouble outlining (you've probably written many papers first and outlined them latter because an outline was required). You're the student who needs to know why you are doing something. Left-brained students would do well to exercise their right-brain in such a manner.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Hah...was going counterclowise for 3 seconds. I blinked and started going clockwise. 15 seconds passed... Back to counterclockwise.
That happened to me, too.

·
Registered
475 Posts

I think I'm awesome-brained.
Same thing happened here! That picture doesn't determine squat! lol. I however actually test close to balanced as far as left and right brained goes. I also write with my right hand, although I think I am slightly more left hand dominant. Anything requiring precision I use my right hand, yet with things requiring slightly more muscle, I use my left hand. I sometimes also switch the roles between which hand I use except with writing. Weird huh?

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh,
what I meant to say was this;

In fact, seeing as Te/Ti is 'only' the auxiliary function in INTJs/ENTPs it would make sense for them to be slightly right-brain dominant, no?

not slightly left-brained

Too much left and right for me in here.
Have I got it right this time? Somebody help me, please :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts