Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left and Right Brain cognitive functions are distinct modes of thinking. Left-Brain thinking is more Rational, objective(Thinking), and analytical(Sensing) while Right-Brain thinking is more intuitive(N), subjective(F) and holistic synthesizing. If you want the whole list of different features for each side of the brain, you can find it in 5 seconds by googling it quick.

From the paragraph above, it sounds there are either XNFX's or XSTX depending on which side of the brain you prefer. So, I'm wondering how this fits into the MBTI system regarding typology- how does it explain XNTX's or XSFX's for instance?

Do we switch between the two sides of the brain more often than we're aware of to, say, accommodate for rational thought while using intuition? Other factors?

What are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
http://www.personalitycafe.com/myers-briggs-forum/9648-types-brain-pseudo-science-behind-mbti.html

has the brain-functions link as:
Front-Left: Te, Fe
Front-Right: Se, Ne
Back-Left: Si, Ni
Back Right: Ti, Fi

It makes more sense to me since I see Ti as a messy rational but subjective function and Se as hardly analytical but just a reacting to the environment thing. I don't really see Fe or Ni as right brain processes since they are more hard core.

edited to add: but after reading part of that other article, I'm not sure what I believe.

Reactions: snail

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I don't know Jung well enough, but it seems to me the differences between str1nger's and pc3000's post are due to whether one sees Jung as talking about four functions or eight functions, i.e. how much difference the introversion/extraversion attitude makes.

What do you say pc3000? What was on your mind when adding the edit?

·
Registered
141 Posts
pc3000: yeah that's the way lenore thomson sees it. im honestly not sure what to believe, but the view i posted seems to be more grounded in science. but it's a bit weird how an INTP like me whose primary function is supposed to be in the frontal left can be a clear P/"right-brainer"

assbiscuits do you know more about this? and your post doesn't really state an opinion which one you think is better. would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
What do you say pc3000? What was on your mind when adding the edit?
I had conflicting information and I was less than 50% sure I was right:mellow:

I'm still not convinced about Benziger's idea because the conclusions just seem wrong.

I'm a dominant thinker yet I don't always find articulation/enunciation/speech (all supposedly related to the left-front of the brain) easy. Maybe the left side of my brain is damaged:tongue:

But that's my question: which side of the brain are Ni, Ti, Fe and Se on?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
First of all subjective vs objective = I vs E as oppose to T vs F. Introverted functions are subjective and vice versa.

Left brain = J.
Right brain = P.
That agrees with that other thread I cited - P meaning Pe & Ji on the right and J meaning Pi and Je on the left.

But I want to know why both that and the benziger site seem to be true or false.

Frontal Lobe wikied:
"The executive functions of the frontal lobes involve the ability to recognize future consequences resulting from current actions, to choose between good and bad actions (or better and best), override and suppress unacceptable social responses, and determine similarities and differences between things or events. Therefore, it is involved in higher mental functions.

The frontal lobes also play an important part in retaining longer term memories which are not task-based. These are often memories associated with emotions derived from input from the brain's limbic system. The frontal lobe modifies those emotions to generally fit socially acceptable norms."

Benziger: Do I do all that using Ti - Ni?
Thomson: Do I do all that using Fe - Se?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Reactions: PlushWitch

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
This video maps intuition and sensing, both orientations, into left hemisphere and feeling and thinking, both orientations, into right hemisphere (scroll to about 6:30 if you don't want to watch the whole thing): #8 Neurology Marries Psychology

Connecting this to learning styles it seems to makes sense to map intuition, interconnecting process, and feeling, equalizing process, to right hemisphere. Right hemisphere dominant people are said to learn holistically, process intuitively, need information to be connected to something they previously learned, are visual learners aided by pictures and graphs, learn randomly i.e. may start reading different chapters of a book out of order not beginning to end. Some information on the net prescribes this kind of learning style to NFs.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
This video maps intuition and sensing, both orientations, into left hemisphere and feeling and thinking, both orientations, into right hemisphere (scroll to about 6:30 if you don't want to watch the whole thing): #8 Neurology Marries Psychology

Connecting this to learning styles it seems to makes sense to map intuition, interconnecting process, and feeling, equalizing process, to right hemisphere. Right hemisphere dominant people are said to learn holistically, process intuitively, need information to be connected to something they previously learned, are visual learners aided by pictures and graphs, learn randomly i.e. may start reading different chapters of a book out of order not beginning to end. Some information on the net prescribes this kind of learning style to NFs.
Hmm...honestly, it does seem more P to me. I'm an INTP and I identify with it very much.

So I think I agree more with Lenore, but I'm not completely decided. I mean, I do have the gift for languages associated with the left brain...

·
Registered
141 Posts
pretty sure gift for language is typical for INTPs and a Ti/Ne thing

Lenore makes more sense in an MBTI/8 functions way, but I don't think it's backed up by science nearly as much/possibly partly wrong. I think she didn't provide a lot of theory background in her book IIRC.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Hmm...honestly, it does seem more P to me. I'm an INTP and I identify with it very much.

So I think I agree more with Lenore, but I'm not completely decided. I mean, I do have the gift for languages associated with the left brain...
Well I'm a J and identify with this description too.

However if you read about right/left brain dominance and its influence on language not all right-hemisphere dominant people, which is associated with visual learning style, have their speech centers located in right hemisphere too. Some of them have their speech center basing out of left hemisphere. Right hemisphere dominant people whose speech center is based in left-hemisphere experience less difficulties with speaking and language that those whose speech center is located in right hemisphere as well.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
pretty sure gift for language is typical for INTPs and a Ti/Ne thing

Lenore makes more sense in an MBTI/8 functions way, but I don't think it's backed up by science nearly as much/possibly partly wrong. I think she didn't provide a lot of theory background in her book IIRC.
Yeah...there was that famous YouTube video about the woman who had a stroke that cut off access to her left brain...what she described was sort of like an overdose of stereotypical NF-ness. I could see Lenore's ideas being in slight contradiction to that, but it does explain everything nice and neatly. And it's possible that the woman may have just happened to have intuition and feeling instead of sensing and thinking on that side of the brain (although she described herself as an "intellectual"...that makes me think NT though that could just be my bias)...someone else having a left-brain stroke, like an SF, may have had a radically differnet experience. Still...if it's wrong, it's wrong. I need to look into the science more.

That makes me wonder...do you think (assuming the more "scientific" theory is true) that SF's and NT's may have a thicker corpus callosum? I think there's supposed to be a gender difference there (women have a thicker one), but if the other hypothesis is correct then most "balanced-brained" people would be women, since the largest group for women is SF. So perhaps that would explain that? Now I'm on a real tangent, ha ha ha.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
So are we, like, those people with the newspaper on that bridge?:tongue:
I think that would be the INTJs, the masterminds, and that's not a newspaper that is a plan :laughing:
The INTP would be that dude looking at his laptop sitting in front on the grass of the idyllic side :tongue:

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
...dug up

Today, we had a short workshop about left eye and right eye dominance at college. This dominance is connected to the left brain, right brain thing. So if my right eye is the dominant one I am left brain. If my left eye is dominant, then my right hemisphere is the dominant one.

I have a clearly dominant right eye which means I'm left brain. If you look at the following image the illustrated theory seems to be correct. INFJ => Ni, Fe, left brain. This supports the J people = left brain / P people = right brain theory.

Thanks again, @Lilsnowy . :)

@nevermore : so sadly the INFJ can't meditate next to the garden. :( ;) :)

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
just felt like posting this picture here :tongue:

left side looks like a TJ world to me and right side looks like FP

Judging by the earlobes - what we see as left side is actually the guy's right side.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts