Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Elle - ENFP 7w8
Warner - ESTJ 6w7
Vivian - INTJ 3w4
Callahan - ENTJ 8w9
Emmett - ISFJ 9w8

Feel free to add on or change around some of the typings if you don't agree.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have to admit, I like this movie way too much. I agree for Warner, Vivian and Callahan. I think Emmett is ISFP. Could Elle be ENFJ? She's quite determined and not chaotic, only with her feelings (Fe).

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IxFP? That could work for Paulette.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hmm...but Elle's T functions are really good. Is ENTP possible for her. Think about the way she critiqued the sales lady in the beginning, how she won the debate about sperm donation in Callahan's class in the middle, and in the end how she wins her case. She may pretend to be ESFP, but compare her freak out with Warner in the restaurant (which seems really forced and fake, like she's reacting the way she's expected to) and the way she is right before the end when she is truly despondent about leaving law school. That seems more real.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Elle..... I've thought ESFP, ESFJ, or maybe even ENFP. She does have a really good handle on debating but there's still a clear F preference. She does seem to have a good grasp on her T function though which is why I think ExFP now, and with her more Se style, ESFP.

I don't know if Warner is unplanned.... doesn't he say he's going to be a Senator before he's 30?

Agreed on IxFP for Paulette... and perhaps ISxJ for Vivian and INFJ for Emmett.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't believe that you can tell by someone's walk what type they are. Other people have mentioned her really good grip on Te, and even though she knows how to work a room, that could be due to Se and the things she picks up from her environment. Her Fi is too strong for that of a normal ESFJ - with those levels, said ESFJ would be on the floor, crying about how the feelings are getting to them way too much. Also, she annoys/upsets the establishment with whatever she does and wants to be unique while doing it. You don't hear of too many SJs or Fe-doms trying to stand out in the way that Elle does. She's definitely ExFx, but I think you're wrong on the J.

So yeah, I stand by ExFP.

Reactions: bohemian_ophelia

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't believe that you can tell by someone's walk what type they are.
I disagree. Everything is connected. When typing, you look holistically at a person to see overarching trends. Personality is connected and related to the words you use, the ideas you have and the actions you take (including how you use your body). Elle is a very goal-oriented person. You can see this with her words ("Girls, I'm going to Harvard!" before she has even taken the LSATs) to the way she walks...determinedly and looking to get where she's going. Perceivers tend to emphasize process over product, while Judgers know exactly where they're headed and waste no time getting there, cutting off any new opportunities they might encounter along the way.

It's very hard for me to see Elle being a perceiver. Additionally, she uses TONS of Fe (when she helps her classmate with women, she is always asking about social activities to be a part of, etc etc). She also uses a lot of Si -- she solves the case because she remembers all the specific details of her friends' hair problem!

I stand by ESFJ.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I disagree. Everything is connected. When typing, you look holistically at a person to see overarching trends. Personality is connected and related to the words you use, the ideas you have and the actions you take (including how you use your body). Elle is a very goal-oriented person. You can see this with her words ("Girls, I'm going to Harvard!" before she has even taken the LSATs) to the way she walks...determinedly and looking to get where she's going. Perceivers tend to emphasize process over product, while Judgers know exactly where they're headed and waste no time getting there, cutting off any new opportunities they might encounter along the way.
If you're going to try to go by pure P/J, the whole "I'm going to Harvard!" thing without even worrying what is going to happen next seemed rather P of her. Nevermind that she had been preparing to be going into Fashion Merchandising for 4 years, let's become a law student on a whim...... Warner is more of the stereotypical J type, became set on this one life path of going to university, going to Harvard, getting married to an east coast woman with a high reputation, and then becoming a senator, and sticking to it. Elle is much more impulsive, and very self-confident, which also explains her very powerful walk.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You're making it sound like j's never change their mind. Of course they do. But J's set goals and work steadily towards achieving them; whereas P's change their goals as new information presents itself. Elle worked steadily towards the same goal the entire time: She wanted to marry Warner. She does not go to law school "on a whim"...she goes there for a very specific reason which is consistent with a pre-existing goal. First of all, the fact that marriage was her goal in the first place is a pretty SJ, and most likely an F type SJ. Secondly, once she decides to go to Harvard, she does everything she needs to do to achieve it. In fact, throughout the movie, she sets a goal ("I'm going to prove how smart I am" is another) and then gets tunnel-vision on it. ESFPs are generally more go-with-the-flow types, looking to maximize enjoyment out of situations and also tend to have a more meandering work style. Not to say ESFPs cannot be focused, determined and intelligent...but they tend not to be as regimental as Elle is.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
If you're going to try to go by pure P/J, the whole "I'm going to Harvard!" thing without even worrying what is going to happen next seemed rather P of her.
Incorrect. She went to Harvard with a clear, determined purpose of getting her man back and she was really planned while doing it.

Plus, I connect the powerful walk again with determination. A P would just phlegmatically strowl through the halls.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Hmm... I'd definitely say Fe+Ti user (I believe that would eliminate both ENFP and ESFP) but the Fe... well, there's a shitload of it, likes to vent about her feeling, based on here overwhelming amount of expressions. I think the Ti is also present but not as developed. Definitely seems like a xxxJ, the amount of determination she had to get into harvard, she's master of the dorm, seems competitive, she's extremely goal oriented. I think the Extrovert in her is also undeniable. As for Ni or Si, I would definitely say Si, she's very good a remembering certain details and picking up when something has changed and doesn't fit in with known facts (such as when she recognized the inconstancy in that girl's statement of how she washed her hair after a perm)

I, therefore, believe she is an ESFJ

(also reminds me of my ESFJ mom, both communicate in the same way and have the same... I OWN THIS SIDEWALK air to them)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts