Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The spirit of the spirits
10,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if anyone here uses some search engine which isn't very popular. By that I mean everythign that isn't Google, Bing or Yahoo.

I have been using DDG for several months now and I found that it generally is better than Google in interface, less but higher quality results, customizability. It worked really well for me and I trusted it to find everything that I needed. However, it wasn't so great with finding European and Japanese sites and sometimes couldnt find very specific things (that's because it's semi-metasearch engine). Now I'm checking out Qwant. It looks great on paper and is European, meaning that it has to follow stricter privacy laws and in theory it should work better than DDG in longer search queries and regional searches, so I'm going to use it for a while.

With seemingly so many options out there, that actually match big players in capabilities, I wonder how many use those and it feels weird that generally not many people even check them out. Many people are seemingly okay with Google screwing them over. After their last picture interface change they lost me for good, it's a complete dogshit.

·
10,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I need the rawest results, I'll use Webcrawler.
If you need rawest results, then you really have to use them all and combine their results. WebCrawler uses their own web crawlers and they may be biased. Google uses their own crawlers, same with qwant. If you want only one search engine, then DDG might be the best one as it combines results from other search engines and has their own crawler, but even then for best accuracy you should do it manually.

·
INFP 5w6
4,710 Posts
I tried ecosia for a little while, perhaps I'll do again, for some things, but I didn't really find the correct stuff very well, I google quite a lot of somewhat specific things, might not know just what I am looking for, but along this or those lines, and then especially the picture search is important, where you get a sample of similar results in google and can jump among them until zooming in on what you look for. The search for images is really important for me (not the kind where you put in an image, but searching for images), it is intuitive and you can very quickly scan hundreds of results.

·
10,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I tried ecosia for a little while, perhaps I'll do again, for some things, but I didn't really find the correct stuff very well, I google quite a lot of somewhat specific things, might not know just what I am looking for, but along this or those lines, and then especially the picture search is important, where you get a sample of similar results in google and can jump among them until zooming in on what you look for. The search for images is really important for me (not the kind where you put in an image, but searching for images), it is intuitive and you can very quickly scan hundreds of results.
I think that Ecosia is just a wrapper for Bing so it's very likely a meta-search engine. Thus picture searches and searches requiring grammatical understanding of query are weak points.

·
10,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Qwant experiment went really well. It's pretty decent for regional searches and good for picture searches too. It was also good at understanding my search queries. Pretty much night and day difference compared to DDG. I think that Qwant has a chance to compete with Google as it seems to provide less 'trashy' results and generally provides what one looks for. Being backed by Europe instead of US also sounds better. Most importantly it has its own web crawlers and lists, so it's not a meta-search engine. I will use it more.

·
Beer Guardian
14,666 Posts
17 Great Alternative Search Engines other than Google - Includes Bing, which is biased as hell, but some of the other ones have some interesting features worth looking at.

18 Advanced Alternative Search Engines - Some great alternative and specialty search engines, DDG is ranked #1

21 Alternative Search Engines to use in 2020 - Includes some popular alternatives such as Bing, but also has some interesting specialty search engines. Worth a look.

Best Uncensored Search Engines - WARNING: Don't go here if you don't know what you're doing. Some of these search engines go into parts of the Web that aren't for the feint of heart. These delve into the Deep Web. Some may skirt propriety. There are additional warnings provided on the page.

·
10,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
17 Great Alternative Search Engines other than Google - Includes Bing, which is biased as hell, but some of the other ones have some interesting features worth looking at.

18 Advanced Alternative Search Engines - Some great alternative and specialty search engines, DDG is ranked #1

21 Alternative Search Engines to use in 2020 - Includes some popular alternatives such as Bing, but also has some interesting specialty search engines. Worth a look.

Best Uncensored Search Engines - WARNING: Don't go here if you don't know what you're doing. Some of these search engines go into parts of the Web that aren't for the feint of heart. These delve into the Deep Web. Some may skirt propriety. There are additional warnings provided on the page.

I really don't get it why Yandex is being mentioned in those lists. It's essentially a Russian spyware and nobody outside of Russia and close to Russia countries use it. Wouldn't touch Chinese Baidu either, it's very suspicious. Yahoo has been sold and defaced by ad company Oath. There are lots of ads, unrelated garbage and clear warnings that it will track you. Certainly alarming.

·
Beer Guardian
14,666 Posts
I really don't get it why Yandex is being mentioned in those lists. It's essentially a Russian spyware and nobody outside of Russia and close to Russia countries use it. Wouldn't touch Chinese Baidu either, it's very suspicious. Yahoo has been sold and defaced by ad company Oath. There are lots of ads, unrelated garbage and clear warnings that it will track you. Certainly alarming.
Thanks. I didn't go too in depth, I just thought I'd throw some alternatives out and see what sticks. I've actually added DDG to my list of go-to search engines.

·
10,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. I didn't go too in depth, I just thought I'd throw some alternatives out and see what sticks. I've actually added DDG to my list of go-to search engines.
It's fine. I just have investigated Yandex and Yahoo in past and both shouldn't be used. They might be even worse than Google in terms of privacy and Google is already a tarnished name in the industry. DDG is good and easy recommendation, Qwant is pretty good, Startpage is interesting. Check these engines first if you want to explore search engines. Just be aware that certain engines aren't as privacy respecting as these and small minority could be potentially really harmful.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
CuckCuckGo is good, I am also using a Vietnamese browser called CoC CoC, it's quite good as well ... downloads videos from different sites, has a built-in torrent client as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts