Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!

This is open to anyone who can help..

I'm new to this forum, I've been lurking in the shadows for some weeks now and I finally decided to join today and get my feet wet a little:wink:

I first learnt about mbti early this year and I tested as an infp. I kinda forgot about it until a month or 2 ago so I visited the infp group on facebook. What i found was that I really didn't identify with the members there so I decided to take the test again, and the results said I am an infj. The more I read the more I feel that I indeed am an infj. There is one area in the description on infjs tho that has me so unsure. It seems it's too important to ignore... Apparently infjs are super organised, are super-perfectionists and are high achievers, mainly because of their/our need to please those around us. I, however, am the total opposite.

(1) As I sit here typing I have an assignment due tomorrow that I have not even begun, it's too overwhelming. I'm hoping I'll use the grace period after the due date wisely.
(2) I am the most disorganised person I know; my room is a mess, I can never find any of my stuff, I leave things til the very last minute.
(3) I'm in university and I'm failing. I don't like what I'm studying. I find it boring and I can't stand to think that I'll be expected to do this for the rest of my life. I probably should mention that I'm studying via correspondence and the only time I'm motivated is when I'm with other students but my social skills suck! I can never move past that first meeting. I should probably mention I'm only doing this course because my parents suggested it...
People like saying, "if you don't want to be an accountant then change!" but to what??? I'd rather be stuck here "working" towards something than sitting at home being a bum.

Just reading this is totally stressful because I hate that this is the way I am. Maybe that's a sign that maybe i AM infj; the fact that I'm not comfortable in my current state.

I'm not really sure what I want to ask. Maybe I just wanted to rant:blushed: I guess this is what I'm going to ask:

1. From the info above do you think I'm an infj, or should I just forget about th ideal of being a perfectionist to-do list queen?

2. And if I am an infj, how can I reach my fullest potential?

I took the test again before writing this thread, it says I' INFJ. My enneagram (btw I don't have a clue what this means, I hope I wrote it right) is 9 4w5 9w1.

Please feel free to ask questions that may help you understand what's going on better. Hope you can help!

Sorry this is so long!

Thanks!:laughing:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Well first of all, welcome to the forum!

First thing though, is that you, like many others who are new to typology, have the misconception that J=orderly, timely, scheduled, etc. J does not represent any one characteristic (and neither do any of the other letters except perhaps I/E). Rather, the J/P divide tells you whether or not your first judgment function is extroverted or introverted. In an INFJ, that means that our first extroverted attitude is Fe (extroverted feeling), but since we are introverts, that's not our first function, Ni is. Sorry if that's confusing, there's plenty of materials around the site that help explain this better. Point being ,though, that you don't have to be organized to be a J. One look at my dorm room would prove that. :laughing:

Also, it seems you're unhappy because you're studying and devoting your life to a subject you don't like. I can't blame you either, accounting seems like a career path very few INFJs would want (assuming you are one). One trend I've noticed is that we need to have a career that involves people in some aspect. I know just counting beans all day with no social aspect would probably just drive me nuts, but that's just Fe I guess. But, you don't have to major in something "useful" to have a job. I'm majoring in political science, but I'm going to go to law school after that and hopefully be a lawyer. But even if you don't want to do that, there's plenty of ways to find a job without having a technical/business degree.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
298 Posts
i only devote myself to things i'm interested in. school or an orderly room... i pay very little attention to. once you find your passion, those qualities that you don't quite identify with yet will manifest themselves.

Reactions: Susanna and thegirl

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank guys your posts are really helpful. Especially the part about devoting myself to what I care about. I can't wait til I finish tho, 1 more year. I feel like it's sapping thee life out of me...:confused:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Welcome :happy:

You sound alot like me, except I took a really varied course in something interesting (no offense to accountants :crazy:) so didn't manage to fail. I never got the grades expected of me as education just isn't my thing. Have a read of the "Many faces of INFJ" in the articles section for some interesting descriptions that might help you decide if you are - the test are a good start but show what you'd like to be based on stereotypes not what you are.

I think you answered your own second question - the only way to reach your potential is to learn to love yourself for who you are. This is true whatever type you may be, you can only achieve when you are comfortable with yourself. It will take effort and direction but it's a good start :happy:

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
... Apparently infjs are super organised, are super-perfectionists and are high achievers, mainly because of their/our need to please those around us. I, however, am the total opposite.
Yes, we are also apparently alike saints and have psychic dreams that come true. So if you haven't been canonized by you local church yet or haven't achieve prophet status in your neighborhood and have people like flocking to you for some of that prophetic advice, then go away you don't fit with us :p

(1) As I sit here typing I have an assignment due tomorrow that I have not even begun, it's too overwhelming. I'm hoping I'll use the grace period after the due date wisely.
(2) I am the most disorganised person I know; my room is a mess, I can never find any of my stuff, I leave things til the very last minute.
Sounds like your introverted intuition is overactive, thus the procrastination. I have left things to last minute I'd say 80-90% of my time at school and college. At times I pushed myself to the brink, didn't sleep nights to write essay papers I had weeks of time to do, completed final year projects in one week at end of the year once again via not sleeping much, but I always made it out somehow. The key is to realize when you can afford do this and when you cannot afford it. I've also tried making myself live by a schedule, but it would never work out for longer than 3-4 weeks. My room is usually semi-messy because I know that entropy always takes over so no reason for me to expand energy to clean it up all the time. I'd say I lose things more frequently than my SJ family members just because I don't have good attention to the physical stuff around me, doesn't seem too important. INFJs are said to be the messiest of all Js, which would also make us most tolerant of chaos and disorder around.

(3) I'm in university and I'm failing. I don't like what I'm studying. I find it boring and I can't stand to think that I'll be expected to do this for the rest of my life....People like saying, "if you don't want to be an accountant then change!" but to what??? I'd rather be stuck here "working" towards something than sitting at home being a bum.
Have you seen the list of recommended professions for INFJs? If you do not like what you are studying/doing now, trust me, it isn't going to change in the future. So it is best to figure out what you do like and then head in that direction. Otherwise you are sentencing yourself to many more years of boredom.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Hi everybody!

This is open to anyone who can help..

I'm new to this forum, I've been lurking in the shadows for some weeks now and I finally decided to join today and get my feet wet a little:wink:

I first learnt about mbti early this year and I tested as an infp. I kinda forgot about it until a month or 2 ago so I visited the infp group on facebook. What i found was that I really didn't identify with the members there so I decided to take the test again, and the results said I am an infj. The more I read the more I feel that I indeed am an infj. There is one area in the description on infjs tho that has me so unsure. It seems it's too important to ignore... Apparently infjs are super organised, are super-perfectionists and are high achievers, mainly because of their/our need to please those around us. I, however, am the total opposite.

(3) I'm in university and I'm failing. I don't like what I'm studying. I find it boring and I can't stand to think that I'll be expected to do this for the rest of my life. I probably should mention that I'm studying via correspondence and the only time I'm motivated is when I'm with other students but my social skills suck! I can never move past that first meeting. I should probably mention I'm only doing this course because my parents suggested it...
People like saying, "if you don't want to be an accountant then change!" but to what??? I'd rather be stuck here "working" towards something than sitting at home being a bum.

Just reading this is totally stressful because I hate that this is the way I am. Maybe that's a sign that maybe i AM infj; the fact that I'm not comfortable in my current state.

I'm not really sure what I want to ask. Maybe I just wanted to rant:blushed: I guess this is what I'm going to ask:

1. From the info above do you think I'm an infj, or should I just forget about th ideal of being a perfectionist to-do list queen?

2. And if I am an infj, how can I reach my fullest potential?

I took the test again before writing this thread, it says I' INFJ. My enneagram (btw I don't have a clue what this means, I hope I wrote it right) is 9 4w5 9w1.

Please feel free to ask questions that may help you understand what's going on better. Hope you can help!

Sorry this is so long!

Thanks!:laughing:
Well, first of all, nobody is perfect.

My mother died a few months before I started going to college. You sound a lot like I was at that time.

I think a lot of times I knew what I "should" have done in those types of situations, but I didn't do it. I am positive that I would have felt better about myself if I did it though.

As INFJs, we tend to be much more thoughtful than action-oriented. Being thoughtful is a good quality, but sometimes things need to be done.

"People like saying, 'if you don't want to be an accountant then change!' but to what??? I'd rather be stuck here 'working' towards something than sitting at home being a bum."

My first major was computer science. I hate math; so I dropped it.

My second major was journalism, but I found out that I liked to make videos...so I changed to broadcasting (electronic media communication)

I now have an associates and a bachelors in mass communications.

However, I realized that my main reason for wanting to go into this feild was to write scripts with substance (for people to think over). Everything had a "message", and I came to realize that this would never be mainstream, because the majority of the world is more action-oriented than thoughtful, and I really wanted it to be mainstream.

As soon as I can raise enough money, I am going to go back to school to get my masters in psychology. It seems like a more realistic outlet to share my insight.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm also sitting here typing as I have plenty of assignments due tomorrow, and also completely failed college last semester:crying:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Go to a cheap community college and take classes in just about everything until you find something you like. The liberal arts approach is great for people who are undecided. Take, well, not accounting, but take some basic law, natural sciences, mathematics maybe, art classes ... whatever you feel a 'maybe' about.

I was also considering accountancy at some point so took a comm. college course in it... was so boring I Just stopped going half-way through and failed the class!

If you can't figure out something you want to study, then I would seriously suggest you stop studying and instead find some work. [tough love]You'd be wasting your time, the time of everyone else in your classes, and your own money if you're studying something you have absolutely no interest in.[/tough love] Many people often find out through work what it is that they'd like to further study.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't know that you have to fit perfectly. I am not a perfectionist, and I tend to let things get messy (although I don't like it, but until I have a maid or my children become neatniks, I don't know what else will happen). I did test out close to the middle of the P/J spectrum, and also the F/T spectrum, so I'm not an all-out INFJ. But I identify most with this type. It's a tendancy, anyway. You don't have to be exactly like the descriptions all the time. If you're stressed, you may be using other functions, although that's for other people to get into; I can't tell you too much about that as it's beyond my MBTI knowledge!

·
Registered
836 Posts
first - hi! welcome! post as much as you want, ask questions, it's an active forum and we like people! :)

not saying this is what you're doing at all... but if you're anxious enough you can actually shut down and be unable to do anything. oftentimes perfectionism can look like the complete opposite due to self-sabotage. by avoiding things, you're avoiding having to face your fears of being less than perfect.

again, not sure that's what you're doing at all... but i am wondering if there is more to these issues than you might think?

and also the obvious answer - no one's perfect :)

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Have you also posted this on the INFP forum? just curious.

i agree with what Vel and Zwanglos have said on here so far, on their own experiences and suggestions on what to do.

just keep in mind that it's good to seek advice, but don't rely on others to make your decision for you - whether it is your parents or other people on PerC

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Well, from my own observations made by your first post, I can safely say that you are indeed a human being. Unless of course you're a new strain of feline that has developed opposable thumbs and is bent on interweb domination through means of cat-oriented photos with silly captions.

In any case, only you can decide what is right for you. Hell, after a bit of research I decided that I was both NFs and NTs wrapped into one... Until I then decided that was absolutely preposterous, and thence created a new type for myself. So far, I'm the only 1337 that I know, but I'm still looking.

Hope this helps! ;)

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Hi everybody!

Both of these sound like me. At school I used to leave my assignments until the night before...I'd then be up all night frantically trying to get it done. This was mostly because my hobbies were of more interest to me. However I am very conscientious so my work was always handed in on time and even though it was done at the last minute it was still of good quality.

Every school report I've had always read 'conscientious', 'quiet', 'hardworking' and 'should try to get more involved in group discussions'.

My room is always a mess...I try to be organised I have folders for everything. I have so many hobbies and interests so I end up leaving things lying around because it seems pointless to put things away when I'll only get it out again the next day haha.

I'm terrible when it comes to sorting out insurance and tax for my car...I have to say I was much more on the ball this year though. I managed to sort my car out before the tax and insurance ran out haha. I learning that if I get the job done it's another thing off my mind and one less thing to worry about.

I'm always losing and forgetting things, sometimes very important things but I usually find them in the end! :laughing:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
first - hi! welcome! post as much as you want, ask questions, it's an active forum and we like people! :)

not saying this is what you're doing at all... but if you're anxious enough you can actually shut down and be unable to do anything. oftentimes perfectionism can look like the complete opposite due to self-sabotage. by avoiding things, you're avoiding having to face your fears of being less than perfect.

again, not sure that's what you're doing at all... but i am wondering if there is more to these issues than you might think?

and also the obvious answer - no one's perfect :)
It has actually occurred to me that this might actually be my problem. it's highly likely...

And lesson number one (and perhaps most important): NOBODY'Y PERFECT!!!!

Thanks so much for all your input I look forward to learning more and more. You've been so helpful, given me soo much to think about. The important thing is being true to myself..

It's nice to have this resource (and to know that I am not, in fact a rare breed of mutant cat:tongue::crazy: I can now rest peacefully at night:laughing:). I was a little hesitant about starting a thread but I'm glad I did,you guys are awesome!and my assignment's almost done!:cool:

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Have you also posted this on the INFP forum? just curious.

i agree with what Vel and Zwanglos have said on here so far, on their own experiences and suggestions on what to do.

just keep in mind that it's good to seek advice, but don't rely on others to make your decision for you - whether it is your parents or other people on PerC
No, this is my first time posting a thread..
and you're totally right about making my own decisions..

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
thegirl,

Yes, you could still be INFJ I feel, after reading #1-3...Take a closer look, I can perhaps note some Threads, there are many threads of INFJs lamenting about procrastination on assignments and stuff! hehehe It seems like this is time for you to do some self discovery...May I ask your approximate age?

Whether or not INFJ, being a perfectionist may not be a healthy approach in this situation. There are quite a few Type 9 INFJs that have written about a similar experience also. About swimming in an ocean, not seeing the horizon. You have to kind of make a choice on what to study, and put your heart into it. The outcome may still be good, regardless of what you study, if you enjoy it and do well. I tried the accounting thing, it was horrible for me. I am studying in Law now instead.

There are quite a few thread about INFJs and careers, and how they acheived success as well. I am so happy you are now here in the INFJ Forum, you will get the answers to your questions. Perhaps you should volunteer, talk to persons who work in different professions. Try different part-time jobs, to see what you like or dislike. Take a variety of courses if you can, even free seminars, just to get a taste of different career directions. Best of luck, gurl. You can do it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you Female INFJ!
I'm 24.<< QUARTER LIFE CRISIS!!!>> Some say it's still young but I feel like I should be starting my career not still deciding. What I really want to do at this point is graduate. That's the only way my parents will leave me alone(bless them for being so patient with me) and I really think that sense of achievement would be really good for me, thereafter I can seriously 'find myself.' I'm really leaning towards biting the bullet for the next year,that's what I've told myself and I'm stubbornly sticking by it. Now if only I could be stubbornly dedicated to it. I just need to learn some strategies on how to stay focused..just for one more year, because I'm definitely not doing this for the rest of my life...I'd die.:dry:

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I was a little hesitant about starting a thread but I'm glad I did,you guys are awesome!
This is almost dreading in INFP land.

Based on your 1,2, and 3 descriptions of yourself I didn't see anything in those that classifies as a Cognitive personality type. Do you care to express some more or post around some in the forum and let your personality show. If you still are asking for help with typing yourself that is.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts