Personality Cafe banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I provide info on myself so you can type me or point me in the right direction.

BTW, this was odd for me to type out since I don't remember being this honest with myself in the past. Also, I reveal a bit more than I felt comfortable doing but let's see where some of you guys take this.

Questionnaires:
0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.
Nothing really. I might have recently gotten past a period of depression; I can't determine whether or not I was simply feeling down. Male. 21(though possibly 20).

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffwelker/16226821132/in/explore-2015-01-08/

-It's a bright red and blue airplane set against a clear sky. Almost automatically, I began imagining sleek, futuristic sky scrapers (for a sense of the style I have in mind check out Syd Mead's work). They're bright and colorful with people teeming around them. Lot's of tubes and ramps with a Futurama look. Inviting, yet lacking life at the same time almost like the plane. Regarding the image itself, the machine presented looks rather sexy for a commercial airliner. Also, the plane appears to be landing; wheels are down and it looks like flaps are down, too.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?
-I'll draw on a similar situation of going to see a film. First, I'd think damn this is a shame before figuring things could have been worse. Besides, if we get to the destination we should be able to catch up on lost entertainment. Furthermore, if I'm going with friends to something I could enjoy on my own, then it's because I wanted to hang out more than see a film/concert. Hanging out is still occurring except the others might be more agitated and less patient. In fact, quite quickly my concern would shift away from myself to the others since they'd seem upset (partially because they're now wasting my time). An entp I know would be there cracking jokes at the control freak entj. I'd just lean all cool against the car with my arms crossed and laugh while watching the interaction. I may brainstorm a solution with the entj.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?
- Hell man, I don't want to, but I wouldn't mind a drink. I'll try to interact. Most likely stare aggressively by a wall while people try to talk with me. I would love to talk, but their body language indicates they just want to gain something from me and I feel like an animal bristling its fur in response.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?
- inside: hmm, maybe he's right. If he IS wrong, then I'll think he's a fucking idiot. outwardly: I'll ask him why he made the claim and to support himself. Maybe I'd be more comfortable letting it go....

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?
- Nothing. Maybe the above response would come into play.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?
- don't act fake around me. done. that's it. Oh wait, if your a pedophile, unnecessarily gave a kid up for adoption, or abuse your child, I will desperately want to beat the shit out of you. I'll try a more peaceful, perhaps you could say rational, approach first because I don't want to be arrested. Imagine the following: if I were on a train heading home to a kid and partner, then would I want to mess up that night for one asshole? No.
How did I develop these values? I was abandoned at some point during or after infancy for about three days in the mother's apartment before my maternal grandmother apparently stopped by and found me. I was sent to an orphanage when she received my younger half-brother and realized she was too old to care for any toddler.
A situation like that has led me to seek genuine people (lies happen and I let them go, a person just has to provide the reasons behind the lie -- maybe he's socially awkward and felt he had to pretend to be someone else). As for the looking out for kiddos thing, that's self-explanatory.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?
- (A) I rarely appear to have a bad day. Serene would be my friends' label for me. That and occasional jackass, but that may be a mask I wear. (B) I'd want to follow through on commitments and work. I'd have completed a large number of personal projects related to my current interest of Visual Effects. Maybe even taking related courses at a college with an established reputation with the industry. I am at college, just I regret some parent enforced choices I made. Writing is not necessarily fun as work.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?
- I have such feelings and will "listen" to them but not necessarily act on them. When I don't, I mentally beat myself up because I was close if not dead on correct about a right answer or external occurrence. Typically triggered in classroom situations, completing a list of chores, or in interactions with friends.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?
- I enjoy kicking back to music and working on my hobbies. Talking with friends. Running. I like to use my mind but not necessarily by purely pondering (although I do so on occasion). These activities let me analyze and mentally engage my environment through physical interaction or manipulation. Check further details below.
- Reading and writing can excite me, but I tire out quickly. Likewise with being near people, even friends. I can show up all friendly and ready to play, but then feel as if a certain desire is not being met; in that case, I leave and seek some other activity such as walking. If I don't find something else to do, I sit around like a lazy cat staring at a fixed point.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?
- A large amount of silliness/goofiness. The ridiculous part of me which I do let out is verbal randomness; typically observations of my surroundings in the present or past. Also, I'm worried any ideas or insight will be scorned and as a result I'll be patronized. A few pals do this, and typically they start by questioning my reasoning for an idea. When I can't provide a response other than it came out of thin air then they dismiss it. I agree with my friends' actions since they do make sense.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ` ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Specifically, I'm confused between intuition/sensing and introversion/extroversion. OK thinking and feeling are a coin toss, too. Assuming the mbti doesn't properly measure perceiving/judging, then I may need help with that, too.
For each option below, I'll just include some tidbits which I think are relevant.

Intuition vs Sensing:
- Recently I conversed with an INTP buddy of mine and noticed that he had a grasp on subjects which left me feeling dimwitted. Mainly, he made some connections between information which left me wondering how I failed to notice it.
- Furthermore, I construct and paint model minis. Mostly, I just like making badass looking models. I literally will dump components for different figures in a pile and make my own stuff. Like lego. But with tools and a cancer risk.
- I gained only one point higher on Intuition taking the official mbti. ADHD meds could have caused a lower score.

Feeling vs Thinking:
- I'm deciding introverted thinking explains me best.

Extroversion vs Introversion:
- I appreciate socializing but in public I have a bit of anxiety. When alone I can feel restless but can also go for days only interacting with the same two people.
- I'll guess introvert for myself based on my past experiences.

Perceiving vs Judging:
- Probably perceiving. 14/20 on mbti.
- this may be related to thinking, but while playing a dice rolling game with a friend once, I was insistent on using accurate rules rather than just making up new rules for the session. You know that awkward tension that arises when people know that your shoes didn't squeak, but everyone uncomfortably remains polite? Imagine that silent displeasure radiating off a bored but accommodating INFP.

Other crap: A few friends approach me for emotional disclosure or general advice. The rest of my friends/acquaintances think I'm a sick weirdo who shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.

Probe me with other questions as necessary.

I'm guessing some kind of "artisan" or "rational"

·
Registered
84 Posts
Long answer: (Just be warned, this might be all over the place.)

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?
- (A) I rarely appear to have a bad day. Serene would be my friends' label for me. That and occasional jackass, but that may be a mask I wear. (B) I'd want to follow through on commitments and work. I'd have completed a large number of personal projects related to my current interest of Visual Effects. Maybe even taking related courses at a college with an established reputation with the industry. I am at college, just I regret some parent enforced choices I made. Writing is not necessarily fun as work.
This suggested to me you're a perceiver, and I really don't see anything in your post that would make me say "Yeah, but you're really a judger."

Furthermore, if I'm going with friends to something I could enjoy on my own, then it's because I wanted to hang out more than see a film/concert.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?
- Hell man, I don't want to, but I wouldn't mind a drink. I'll try to interact. Most likely stare aggressively by a wall while people try to talk with me. I would love to talk, but their body language indicates they just want to gain something from me and I feel like an animal bristling its fur in response.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?
- I enjoy kicking back to music and working on my hobbies. Talking with friends. Running. I like to use my mind but not necessarily by purely pondering (although I do so on occasion). These activities let me analyze and mentally engage my environment through physical interaction or manipulation. Check further details below.
- Reading and writing can excite me, but I tire out quickly. Likewise with being near people, even friends. I can show up all friendly and ready to play, but then feel as if a certain desire is not being met; in that case, I leave and seek some other activity such as walking. If I don't find something else to do, I sit around like a lazy cat staring at a fixed point.
All of this suggests introversion. Remember, you can like people and still be an introvert, it's whether being with people drains you or energizes you that makes you an introvert/extrovert.

- Recently I conversed with an INTP buddy of mine and noticed that he had a grasp on subjects which left me feeling dimwitted. Mainly, he made some connections between information which left me wondering how I failed to notice it.
- Furthermore, I construct and paint model minis. Mostly, I just like making badass looking models. I literally will dump components for different figures in a pile and make my own stuff. Like lego. But with tools and a cancer risk.
This suggests you're a Se-user rather than a Ne user (INTP friend seeing connections = Ne, and you not seeing them = probably not Ne). And the whole second bullet seems to suggest Se to me.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?
- I have such feelings and will "listen" to them but not necessarily act on them. When I don't, I mentally beat myself up because I was close if not dead on correct about a right answer or external occurrence. Typically triggered in classroom situations, completing a list of chores, or in interactions with friends.
Yeah this is probably your tertiary Ni, assuming you're an ISxP.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?
- Nothing. Maybe the above response would come into play.
I think this question was meant to tell if you have or don't have Si, and it looks like you don't.

Feeling vs Thinking:
- I'm deciding introverted thinking explains me best.
Well if you say so, I'm not gonna argue.

Fellow users, feel free to correct me on anything if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the input, krabkrab. My writing's all over the place, so I expected a similar response.

I was figuring ISxP felt right after reading this over. Really, MBTI causes some frustrating confusion after initially reading type descriptions. Then you go into the cognitive functions and begin to scratch your head a bit more. And then there's the "typism" which can easily cause bias without realizing it, I think. That's why I wrote my answers while a bit drunk/confident to ensure honesty.

So far I've gone from INTP --> INFP --> INTP --> ENTP --> and now...ISxP.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts