Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this an INFP thing?

Does any INFP here have this strong need to change humanity for the better? Do you often find yourself trying to influence humanity in subtle ways, like you have a set of moral codes, and then you try to live those moral codes yourself hoping that this will eventually influence others to follow your set of moral codes over time. Like let's say you dislike immoral people, so you try to be a moral person as much as possible, hoping that others will see it and eventually follow your footsteps.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
For sure. While I wonder if this is a universal thing too (what type would say "nah, the world is perfect"), I know that trying to make a positive impact is a motivator in my life.

Direct vs indirect (being the change you want to see) is an interesting discussion. I'm definitely in the latter camp, and I think it has to do with INFP's strong attraction to authenticity. I base whatever "authority" I'll have in my career as a teacher on being passionate and honest about what I do. I can't expect students to want to do an activity if I'm going through the motions. I can't expect them to behave if I don't behave well myself. It's also infinitely stronger for someone to come to a decision, not be forced or shamed into it.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Yes, all the time. When I was young and naive I used to believe it was just a matter of convincing everyone of my ideas then I would be able to fix all the problems in the world. That's still my life's goal but I know I definitely don't have the skills to do that. So I try to work indirectly, push things in the right direction behind the scenes, and try my best to live according to my values. I hope I can make small changes to make the world a little bit better, and that that will start the momentum to make real significant change. I think this is a very INFP thing...

I'm a believer that there's good in everyone, that people are good at their core, but this is easily pushed beneath the surface as people become deluded by the negatives in society. People don't generally set out to make the world worse. But by being good to others, even small things, we can hopefully remind people of their good nature and compassion.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm getting older and more pessimistic about this, but as I have strong opinions about what's right and what not, I cannot stay indifferent about the world around me. I still want to change the world, even if it's just by making people think about certain topics, but in a society where the majority's values are opposite to mine I just don't know where to start. And I'm a 9w1, so by nature I want to make and have peace, but that's impossible if I want to stay true to myself. So I have short bursts of courage and openness where I discuss and oppose ideas or behaviour I don't agree with, alternating with longer periods of observing silence.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts