Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We might be dreamers who sometimes tend to ignore reality, undeniable facts, but we can also be very curious, can't we? At least I can, constantly. It's a way of escaping overwhelming emotions, recharge from them and stimulate my infinite sense of wonder.

Let's share with the internet sources, informational materials that we find interesting, usually use for preparing meals of knowledge or are watching, reading, researching at the moment. Especially if you believe it might be interesting for other INFPs.

Here's my main internet sources:

VSauce - https://www.youtube.com/user/Vsauce . I like to come to this channel from time to time for deeper undersatnding of some amusing facts. It's a nice channel for rather simple questions that often cross our minds but we rarely search to answer. I think these answers are also nicely presented going through many aspects of the answer for a better understanding. Won't hold the answers as the ultimate truth, but it's still entertaining and insightful (just, as always, would suggest on more research to approve the authenticity of the information).

The RSA - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvhsiQGy_zcNCiSbeXEjhLg .I think particularly interesting to NFs as this channel mostly talks about moral, emotional and philosophical concepts. Also presented in many different ways - debates, presentations, animations.

Vice - VICE | United States | The Definitive Guide to Enlightening Information More for entertainment and light knowledge as it is rather exploratory than factual. But still insightful and, the topics they like to cover, tend to be not that usual and obvious.

Also independent media for current affairs, though I'm very skeptical when it comes to any kind of media. Mostly will tune in to The Young Turks - because they are rather fun https://www.youtube.com/user/TheYoungTurks

P.S. If this kind of thread has already been made, my apologies. I did very little search on it so I might have skipped it. Let me know if there is one. Also - if I should change the name of the thread.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@infpwoman thank you. The thread has officially become non-useless :D

Does that give you an idea what mbti type child he is or will grow into? (intx, no?) (I don't know whether one can change his type, but I know I definitely wasn't an infp child).

My INTP friend always get's me very interested in some astro/universal philosophies. At the moment I am day by day trying to understand the concept of a holographic universe. The documentary that I am watching has way too many parts to take in in one day. Part 2 on the list for today.

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
This thread reminds me how random my information/knowledge gathering is. There's something in me that stubbornly resists every attempt to "tune in" to any particular source. The way my mind works, it happens to come across stuff it becomes interested in and spends a couple of days/weeks/months/years educating itself from all kinds of sources, taking in as many valid sources as possible.

As such, I follow no YT channels, blogs or media outlets, social or otherwise. I usually come across stuff randomly - say, randomly visiting a website I used to be a member of long time ago and seeing an interesting documentary which I watch and, if I find it interesting, I'll likely spend an hour or two checking out the background story and any prominent people involved. Or I bump into someone who mentions something I find interesting whereupon I'll research it relatively extensively.

I think this kind of approach can be helpful in protecting you against biases since you won't always be relying on the same data sources (such as always reading the same blogs, watching the same TV stations etc.). It's highly chaotic though, but it works for me as I'll only pursue whatever my mind decides is interesting, and my mind has rather specific interests.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Now my 13-year-old son's talking about worm holes, white holes, black holes, string theory, quantum mechanics, the surface temperature of a neutron star, loop quantum gravity, etc. Whew! I think he's ENXX. Not sure if he's dominant thinking or feeling because he's very intelligent but also feels intensely. Also not sure whether he's judging or perceptive. I'm thinking the ENTP description is fitting him - but oh with such intense feelings!

http://www.personalitypage.com/ENTP.html
"primary interest in life is understanding the world that they live in. They are constantly absorbing ideas and images..."
"They generally understand things quickly and with great depth."
"They get excited and enthusiastic about their ideas..."
"...interested in absorbing information..."
"ENTPs are fluent conversationalists..."
"They highly value knowledge, and spend much of their lives seeking a higher understanding. "

Sorry to go off on a tangent about my son; it just coincided with your post about learning that my son's been having all of these incredible discussions about physics. My 13-year-old son just described to me what a worm hole is. He said space is like a blanket, except it's spherical shaped. When two parts of space bend towards each other and touch, a worm hole is formed. I asked him if they are studying physics in school and he said no. I asked where he learned this; he said on the Internet. And here I thought all this time he was just playing Minecraft! I told him he could be a physics teacher because he understands these concepts so well, and so quickly, and explains them well.

Then he told me some people think space is shaped like a doughnut and proceeded to show me these illustrations:

space.jpg

wormhole.jpg

He read my post and now he's arguing these are not illustrations of the doughnut theory, but I thought they showed how it could be shaped like a doughnut! He said these illustrate the doughnut space theory better:

donutspace.jpg

donutspace2.jpg

Now he's looking up Youtube videos about quantum mechanics!

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now my 13-year-old son's talking about worm holes, white holes, black holes, string theory, quantum mechanics, the surface temperature of a neutron star, etc. Whew! I think he's ENXX. Not sure if he's dominant thinking or feeling because he's very intelligent but also feels intensely. Also not sure whether he's judging or perceptive. I'm thinking the ENTP description is fitting him - but oh with such intense feelings!

Portrait of an ENTP
"primary interest in life is understanding the world that they live in. They are constantly absorbing ideas and images..."
"They highly value knowledge, and spend much of their lives seeking a higher understanding. "

Sorry to go off on a tangent about my son; it just coincided with your post about learning that my son's been having all of these incredible discussions about physics.

My 13-year-old son just described to me what a worm hole is. He said space is like a blanket, except it's spherical shaped. When two parts of space bend towards each other and touch, a worm hole is formed.

I asked him if they are studying physics in school and he said no. I asked where he learned this; he said on the Internet. And here I thought all this time he was just playing Minecraft!
Bravo. You can be a very proud mom. I even got excited about such amazing kid at his age. Don't know why but with my first assumptions I somehow ignored extroversion.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This thread reminds me how random my information/knowledge gathering is. There's something in me that stubbornly resists every attempt to "tune in" to any particular source. The way my mind works, it happens to come across stuff it becomes interested in and spends a couple of days/weeks/months/years educating itself from all kinds of sources, taking in as many valid sources as possible.

As such, I follow no YT channels, blogs or media outlets, social or otherwise. I usually come across stuff randomly - say, randomly visiting a website I used to be a member of long time ago and seeing an interesting documentary which I watch and, if I find it interesting, I'll likely spend an hour or two checking out the background story and any prominent people involved. Or I bump into someone who mentions something I find interesting whereupon I'll research it relatively extensively.

I think this kind of approach can be helpful in protecting you against biases since you won't always be relying on the same data sources (such as always reading the same blogs, watching the same TV stations etc.). It's highly chaotic though, but it works for me as I'll only pursue whatever my mind decides is interesting, and my mind has rather specific interests.
Oh, of course, with a topic that you are wholeheartedly interested in, you are not gonna stick to just one source. ''If it's not on VICE, it doesn't exist''... I also go into as many different sources when looking for information on specific sources as possible, but here I wanted to see what kind of knowledge other INFPs are interested in and maybe we can share with it together. And the sites I mentioned are for general random information that further on can lead to bigger research. I, for one, have specific topics that I am rather passionate about, but my curiosity goes beyond them as well. I just LOVE to know.

''Or I bump into someone who mentions something I find interesting whereupon I'll research it relatively extensively'' for me that someone is these sites as well.

But anyway, if you wish, you can share with what you are researching currently. I would love to see.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Now my 13-year-old son's talking about worm holes, white holes, black holes, string theory, quantum mechanics, the surface temperature of a neutron star, etc. Whew! I think he's ENXX. Not sure if he's dominant thinking or feeling because he's very intelligent but also feels intensely. Also not sure whether he's judging or perceptive. I'm thinking the ENTP description is fitting him - but oh with such intense feelings!

Portrait of an ENTP

Sorry to go off on a tangent about my son; it just coincided with your post about learning that my son's been having all of these incredible discussions about physics. My 13-year-old son just described to me what a worm hole is. He said space is like a blanket, except it's spherical shaped. When two parts of space bend towards each other and touch, a worm hole is formed. I asked him if they are studying physics in school and he said no. I asked where he learned this; he said on the Internet. And here I thought all this time he was just playing Minecraft! I told him he could be a physics teacher because he understands these concepts so well, and so quickly, and explains them well.

Then he told me some people think space is shaped like a doughnut and proceeded to show me these illustrations:

View attachment 95285

View attachment 95286

He read my post and now he's arguing these are not illustrations of the doughnut theory, but I thought they showed how it could be shaped like a doughnut! He said these illustrate the doughnut space theory better:

View attachment 95287

View attachment 95288
So does the Big Bang fit into the donut-shaped space theory? I wonder how it would create a donut shape coming from a single source explosion event. And I really am asking out of curiosity, not argument. I like new ideas that "change everything." That was just my first thought looking at the illustrations, whether it includes a single event as the first cause or has a different explanation for the initial formation of the known universe that would allude to taking the "donut" shape rather than the generally accepted (for now) bell shape.

·
Registered
739 Posts
So does the Big Bang fit into the donut-shaped space theory? I wonder how it would create a donut shape coming from a single source explosion event. And I really am asking out of curiosity, not argument. I like new ideas that "change everything." That was just my first thought looking at the illustrations, whether it includes a single event as the first cause or has a different explanation for the initial formation of the known universe that would allude to taking the "donut" shape rather than the generally accepted (for now) bell shape.
Can you show an illustration of the bell-shaped universe? And how does the Big Bang theory fit with that? I don't really understand these things very much. My 13-year-old son was explaining them to me. (He was also going on today about several different theories for the creation of the universe.)

I looked up "bell shaped theory of the universe" on Google and came up with this:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn4879-big-bang-glow-hints-at-funnelshaped-universe.html#.UyTPdz9dWSo

·
Premium Member
15,242 Posts
I
whacked-out conspiracy theories. LOVE 'em! I visit godlikeproductions.com and davidicke.com/forum/ a lot. I love the *alternate theories* about what is going on in this world and with the MSM. I am quite aware that GLP just might be a social experiment by Tavistock. I am aware D.I. just might disinfo. I still read both those forums. I especially love the Mind Control and Symbolism thread at D.I.'s forum.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Vsauce is awesome, he always has some obscure question that turns into a crazy detail analysis. MinutePhysics is pretty sweet too.

When I'm not circling between sport websites, forums and youtube. I'll usually read up on a random wiki page that sparks up my curiosity.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Can you show an illustration of the bell-shaped universe? And how does the Big Bang theory fit with that? I don't really understand these things very much. My 13-year-old son was explaining them to me. (He was also going on today about several different theories for the creation of the universe.)
The top of the bell (left side) is the Big Bang and the universe is thought to have expanded out from that point. I mean, I'm not a physicist so I leave it up to people who know better than me. I just think the universe is interesting and I like to hear ideas about it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I
whacked-out conspiracy theories. LOVE 'em! I visit godlikeproductions.com and davidicke.com/forum/ a lot. I love the *alternate theories* about what is going on in this world and with the MSM. I am quite aware that GLP just might be a social experiment by Tavistock. I am aware D.I. just might disinfo. I still read both those forums. I especially love the Mind Control and Symbolism thread at D.I.'s forum.
I used to read on this one a little bit:
unknowncountry.com message board - Notes from the Edge

·
MOTM June 2012
9,333 Posts
I also enjoy conspiracy theories like @Silly. GLP is a good site, but I spend most of my time on AboveTopSecret. I've been going to ATS since the early 2,000s. Some of my favorite things on there are alternative news, ancient and lost civilizations, NWO/illuminati stuff, mind control, shadow government stuff, and some cryptozoology too.

I'm also interested in religion, spirituality and philosophy. Even some new age stuff too like chakras, horoscopes, energy healing ect.

However, my main areas of study have to do with music, writing and investing. Learning about new innovative ways, new theories, or different methods to learn guitar and music in general is a big area of focus. And analyzing different parts of writing; tone, character, symbolism, point of view, setting ect. Different forms and periods in art; music, literature ect. And when it comes to investing, I study charts, patterns, approaches, and different analysis. Mostly trading options and the Forex.

Now, another heavy focus of mine is self development and bettering myself. Better ways to manage emotions, better mindsets and beliefs, practical steps to move forward with goals and visions, ways to better communicate with people, ways to better manage myself and others ect.

Aside from ATS, the list of websites, videos, books, and speakers would be pretty exhaustive because I have a wide range of influences, but I would be glad to share any resources if you have a particular interest in something.

·
Registered
44 Posts

This is so PERFECT!

you know you are a P if you have more than 10 tabs open on your browser xD I never close them because I think I'll go back to using them and it NEVER happens! I just EXTENSIVELY RESEARCH something else I randomly find :confused:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Synesthesia!
Learned about this in my cartography class yesterday.

When Ingrid Carey says she feels colors, she does not mean she sees red, or feels blue, or is green with envy. She really does feel them.She can also taste them, and hear them, and smell them.
The 20-year-old junior at the University of Maine has synesthesia, a rare neurological condition in which two or more of the senses entwine. Numbers and letters, sensations and emotions, days and months are all associated with colors for Carey.
The letter "N" is sienna brown; "J" is light green; the number "8" is orange; and July is bluish-green.
The pain from a shin split throbs in hues of orange and yellow, purple and red. Chocolate is rich purple and makes Carey's breath smell dark blue. Confusion is orange.
BBC News - The man who can taste the Tube map

Rare but Real: People Who Feel, Taste and Hear Color | LiveScience

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Vsauce is awesome, he always has some obscure question that turns into a crazy detail analysis. MinutePhysics is pretty sweet too.

When I'm not circling between sport websites, forums and youtube. I'll usually read up on a random wiki page that sparks up my curiosity.
Agreed. And thanks for MinutPhysics. This is why I opened this thread, to find new sources and topics. My interest sparks rather randomly ^^

1 - 20 of 34 Posts