Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A married couple live in a house on one side of a river. The wife has a lover who lives on the other side. The only way to get across the river is to walk across the bridge or to pay the boatman.

The husband has to go on an overnight business trip to a faraway town. The wide pleads with him to take her with him. She knows if that he doesn't she will be unfaithful to him. The husband absolutely refuses to take her because she will only be in the way of his important business. So the husband goes alone.

That night, the wife goes over the bridge and stays with her lover. Dawn is almost up when the wife leaves because she must be back home before her husband returns. She starts walking across the bridge but sees an assassin waiting for her on the other side. She knows if she tries to cross, he will murder her. In terror, she runs up the side of the river and asks the boatman to take her across the river, but he wants too much money. She doesn't have enough, so he refuses to take her.

The wife runs back to the lover's house and explains her predicament and asks him to pay the boatman. The lover refuses, telling her it's her own fault for getting into this situation. As dawn comes up the wife decides to dash across the bridge. She comes face to face with the assassin and he kills her.

How to do this test.

Now give the names of the five characters in the order in which you think they were most responsible for the wife's death. i.e. The wife, husband, lover, assassin, and boatman in the order you think they are most guilty.

Here's the key to this.

Lover = sex
Wife = fun (fun could also mean contentment)
Assassin = money
Boatman = magic (magic could also mean luck)
Husband = love

Each of the characters is a symbol for one aspect in your life, it reveals what's most important to you in your life. Therefore, if you thought that the lover was most responsible, then sex is the most important thing in your life. If you thought that the wife was second most responsible, then fun is the second most important thing in your life and so on

my results were;
husband=love
boatman=magic
wife= fun
lover= sex
assassin= money

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
This doesn't make any sense.

Sex isn't the most important thing in my life.

The person who could have saved the woman is the "lover." He was the only person who was told about the assassin. So, evidentally, he wanted the wife to be killed.

I don't blame the husband. Not many people take their wives on business trips. The wife should have been honest with the husband from the start. The boatman, however, is simply a business man. Why should he lower his prices for her?

The assassin, to me, is responsibility. I don't have any patience or sympathy for infidelitous acts.

·
mafia mod
13,335 Posts
my results

wife, fun
assassin, money
lover,sex
boatman, magic
husband, love

·
Registered
560 Posts
Wife, Lover, Husband, Assassin, Boatman.

I don't think that they symbolize those things at all.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This doesn't make any sense.

Sex isn't the most important thing in my life.

The person who could have saved the woman is the "lover." He was the only person who was told about the assassin. So, evidentally, he wanted the wife to be killed.

I don't blame the husband. Not many people take their wives on business trips. The wife should have been honest with the husband from the start. The boatman, however, is simply a business man. Why should he lower his prices for her?

The assassin, to me, is responsibility. I don't have any patience or sympathy for infidelitous acts.

the quiz doesnt lie!!!

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
So what you're saying is: Guns don't kill people: sex, money, magic, love and fun kill people.

I would have to agree with that.

Reactions: Conscience

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Husband, lover, assassin, wife, boatman.
Love, sex, money, fun, magic.

Husband comes first because it's obvious that he paid the assassin to kill his wife. The lover knew she was going to get killed and didn't care, so he was probably also in on the plot. Then the assassin who actually committed the murder. The boatman is the least guilty because he's not involved in these people's drama at all.

·
Registered
INTJ
1,506 Posts
Deciding whether the husband or the assassin is more guilty is most difficult. For one thing, the husband kind of has an excuse unlike the assassin who just did it for money... but for another, he had a chance to take her with him and refused. and He had to have known what she would do if he didn't take her since he hired an assassin. Though, perhaps she had cheated on him before, and he suspected it, and he refused to take her because he set all of this up as a test to see if she would be faithful. Though, in the end, we can't say for sure whether the husband actually even hired the assassin. The assassin could have been hired by another person unrelated to this situation, or there may be a missing piece to the puzzle. so I say the Assassin who definitely killed her is most guilty.

Money,Love,Fun,Sex,Magic

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
This is a short version of the story...it doesn't make much sense, where did the assassin come from? What about the boatman and his background? We need the entire story to make GOOD JUDGEMENT!

But I've heard this story before and iirc this was how I ranked them...
1. Assassin (Ultimately responsible for taking a life, decision was his)
2. Wife (She got killed because she cheated on her husband, that was her choice and she was well aware of the consequences)
3. Husband (He ordered the assassination if she were to cheat on him?)
4. Lover (Refused to pay a few coins to save her life.)
5. Boatman (He just wanted some love...or sex. Also, he ran a business after all.)

With that said I don't blame the assassin, he's just a tool. Wife/Husband created the situation followed by the lover, then comes the boatman and lastly the assassin. I don't hate on the assassin =()

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I would say Assassin, Wife, Lover, Boatman, Husband.

Assassin first because, well, he killed her. That should be obvious. The wife second because she didn't have to go sleep with her lover, or go back across for that matter. She had a choice in the matter, and she chose suicide, basically, so, in that way, she's responsible for her own death. The lover is slightly responsible because although he knew the situation, he still refused to help her out, but that doesn't mean he's responsible, just immoral. The wife had the choice to stay or find another way to cross the river without getting killed. In my opinion, both the boatman and husband are equally innocent and had nothing to do with her death based only on what's given to us. Notice that it isn't stated in the story that the wife told the boatman about her situation. He had no way of knowing that if he didn't take her, she would essentially commit suicide. If he did, yes, his actions would be morally reprehensible, but again, it wouldn't be his fault.

I save the husband for last. I think it's interesting that a few of you pegged him as the employer of the assassin, but there's absolutely no evidence for this in the story. The wife could have had political enemies, or a psycho ex-boyfriend, or what have you. Based on what's in the story, there's nothing to implicate him with, and unless someone ads something to the story, I'll assume he's completely innocent.

I don't believe in the symbols either. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
-Husband: obviously the guy who hired the Assassin, did not love his wife enough and did not listen to her pleas since he planned to kill her.
-Lover: he is not really a lover but only in for a sexual relationship or else he would have protected her (Had a pain choosing Lover or boat man for 2 and 3)
-Boatman: had no sense of compassion but he is a third party in this
-Assassin: if he hadn't taken the job someone else would and wife would die either way also probably insane
-Wife: Sure she was unfaithful but that does not mean she deserved any of what happened. She was unhappy and wanted someone else.

reason i believe the husband is the employer assassin : if your partner pleads for you to take them...would in anyway refuse? and then that night husband leaves there is an assassin on the bridge between their houses.

so i value in this order: love, sex, magic, money, and lastly fun

apparently i'm a hopeless romantic I'll take it as close

·
Registered
342 Posts
Assassin
Wife
Lover
Husband
Boatman

Money, fun, sex, love, magic

My reasoning was she wouldn't have been killed unless the assassin killed her so he is primarily to blame. But the wife shouldn't have been cheating on her husband, and if she pleaded with him to take her she obvisouly didn't want to cheat so why did she go through with it? Then the lover because he knew she was going to be killed and was utterly callous. Then the husband because if he'd taken her she'd have been all right. Then the boatman because it was really nothing to do with him and he has a business to run and it doesn't say that he knew she was in danger. If he did know then I put him above the husband.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
assassin
lover
boatman
wife
husband

but honestly, if this is the order of blame, wouldn't the one we blame the least represent what we care about most?

Also, how does the boatman represent magic? Isn't he motivated by money, just like the assassin?

Here is my reasoning, in case anyone wants to know:

The assassin is the one who carries out the actual murder, and is therefore ultimately responsible for it.

The lover betrays the woman by not rescuing her when he sees that she is in danger. While he is not responsible for her murder, he is responsible for his own lack of compassion and mercy. His responsibility to her is greater than the boatman's because of the nature of their relationship. She trusts him to be supportive, and he chooses not to be, for selfish reasons. What he did was worse than what the assassin did, even though the assassin was the one who caused the actual death.

The boatman cares more about money than about people. This form of selfishness is only slightly less grievous than the lover's unwillingness to help her when she is in need.

The wife is unfaithful, although she does allow the husband the option of removing temptation. She is the one who commits the infidelity, and is more responsible for it than the husband, despite having her reasons for it.

The husband doesn't respect his wife, and fails to take her concerns seriously. It's no wonder she cheats, but the husband should, ideally, be able to leave her unattended without having to worry about such things.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Assassin - he was the one who killed her.
Wife - she knew she would be murdered if she crossed the bridge and she still did it.
Boatman
Lover
Husband

So Money, fun, magic, sex, love.

I didn't realise the assassin was arranged by the husband though - in that case he would be second.
I put the boatman before the lover since I assumed he knew she was in danger and he didn't do anything when he could have... but actually I change my mind seeing as technically there are a lot of people starving to death in the world and I don't do anything to help...

I reckon the boatman should represent greed/love of money. The assassin should represent war/fighting. The wife is lust or lying/cheating. The lover is selfishness. The husband is jealousy/revenge (assuming he arranged the assasin.) Who you held responsible is what you aren't like the most.

·
Banned
207 Posts
LOL, WHAT?

Alright, my order was...

1) Assassin
2) Lover
3) Boatman
4) Husband
5) Wife

Assassin was first, because he randomly kills the wife for no reason. 2nd was the lover, because he didn't care - but the wife WAS cheating, so that pulls him down a bit, but he did know of the situation. Boatman was third, because of his greed; but didn't know of the situation. 4th was husband - well he had important business. And the wife just wanted to be with her husband. Even though she cheated (I don't think that's okay, but compared to what everyone else did, I guess I can't say it's the worst), it's only BECAUSE her husband cares about his supposed business so much.

Money is the most important? You're JOKING me. How did the assassin represent money though... Shouldn't the boatman? Because of his greed for more?

*EDIT* Wait, if the assassin was hired by the husband; then that would put the husband first on my list; and bump assassin down to second, and all the rest down one place except the wife.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Well the funny thing is, the story didn't read it was the husband hired the assassin hence the reason for my initial order.

Wife, assassin, lover, husband, boatman
fun, money, sex, love, magic

If I would have thought (or known) it was the husband that hired the assassin it would have been different.

Wife, husband, lover, assassin, boatman
fun, love, sex, money, magic

·
Banned
1,956 Posts
Assassin = money
Lover = sex
Boatman = magic (magic could also mean luck)
Wife = fun (fun could also mean contentment)
Husband = love

1 - 20 of 23 Posts