Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
Joined
·
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20 years ago today, had someone told me that blogging would drive a self-sustained living, I wouldn't have believed it. Nowadays, with google ads, link sharing, social media, etc, getting commission for clicks en masse is an extremely real way of earning side income (or perhaps primary income).

Just like 20 years ago today, if someone told me the future of cellphones would be a touchscreen without numbers, but an interface, I wouldn't believe it would be affordable except to the rich. But now, any and all kinds of smartphones are touchscreen interface. ::I miss flip phones, btw... I want to go to Japan, Korea, or HK and buy a GSM flip phone just to bring it back to the US and use it cuz I miss it::

Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Groupon, etc. These are portals that ties big companies to crowdsourcing to promote deals and expand commerce.

If we think way back into ancient civilization, before paper, there were no jobs for painters.

If we think back into medieval times, before submarines, there were no jobs for marine biology and the likes.

what can you think of to be the future jobs of tomorrow that may or may not exist presently?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Technology eliminates human jobs. In the end, everything will come down to if the tech costs more or less than the person.
999 posts ... DON'T POST ANYMORE!!!

And How is this? A Virtual Economist and Market Analyst for monitoring virtual economies and finding flaws and fixing them? I might enjoy such a job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
899 Posts
- Deep ice mining. Jobs and manufacturing business of the future.
- Weather control technician.
- Bankers and Lawyers will still exist. Cockroaches too. *pun pun*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,216 Posts
::I miss flip phones, btw... I want to go to Japan, Korea, or HK and buy a GSM flip phone just to bring it back to the US and use it cuz I miss it::
I have a flip blackberry!
It's crap. Stupid trackball pad.
 
  • Like
Reactions: qingdom

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
Joined
·
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a flip blackberry!
It's crap. Stupid trackball pad.
I had a Motorola PEBL before tmobile licensed it and released multi-colored versions to the public. I still like that one. It had a unique unlocking mechanism where you slide the top down and the magnets release where the hinges pop the clamshell open ... all using one hand.. no need to use two hands to open the flip.

I also had a Motorola MING... it was a linux phone... but EDGE only... didn't work with AT&T's HSDPA network.

Before those two, I had a Samsung A100 on Sprint, A Motorola T720 on Verizon, and a Motorola V60.

I'm using a UK HP Pre 3 now. Although it's a slider, I would've preferred a flip. If not for a front face shield, front screen would've been scratched many times over. =\

Quite often, it shouldn't be about aesthetics.. it should be more about practicality... but hey.. I'm the 1% who still likes flip phones... the rest of the 99% of the population seems to always want the latest and greatest they don't fully use or can afford. =P
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,216 Posts
I had a Motorola PEBL before tmobile licensed it and released multi-colored versions to the public. I still like that one. It had a unique unlocking mechanism where you slide the top down and the magnets release where the hinges pop the clamshell open ... all using one hand.. no need to use two hands to open the flip.

I also had a Motorola MING... it was a linux phone... but EDGE only... didn't work with AT&T's HSDPA network.

Before those two, I had a Samsung A100 on Sprint, A Motorola T720 on Verizon, and a Motorola V60.

I'm using a UK HP Pre 3 now. Although it's a slider, I would've preferred a flip. If not for a front face shield, front screen would've been scratched many times over. =\

Quite often, it shouldn't be about aesthetics.. it should be more about practicality... but hey.. I'm the 1% who still likes flip phones... the rest of the 99% of the population seems to always want the latest and greatest they don't fully use or can afford. =P
It was the free sprint upgrade lol
 
  • Like
Reactions: qingdom

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,641 Posts
  • Military will have a cyber corps. We already have one under USAF, but this will be its own division.
  • Powered exoskeleton, currently under construction by: Raytheon Company: Time Magazine Names the XOS 2 Exoskeleton "Most Awesomest" Invention of 2010
  • Contact lenses with a HUD.
  • Fully automated manufacturing facilities, down to the service drones.
  • Metamorphic/polymorphic virii capable of primitive intelligence. Current ones only have cockroach intelligence.
  • The first Turing test will be completed in 10 years.
  • Rapid deployment and implementation of drones.
  • Man portable lasers.
  • Controlling home appliances with your mind.
There is a shit ton more i can name, but i have stats to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,620 Posts
I predict electric bicycles will become more popular in the US in the coming year.

Beyond that, I think we'll see a lot of technology coming out of the third world. They're getting a lot richer, but still face a lot of problems. Money + problems = technology....

Job-wise, I'm more interested in trying to find a job this summer. I wish the employers could agree on some standardized job application, maybe a central database or something. Instead, you have to fill out a different form or go to a different website for each one. I get that they probably want some barriers in place to cut down on the number of applicants, but still. It would almost be better to go to an auction system or something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
-Mag (rail or car?) transportation designers/workers

-Factory workers will just all be qualified to only maintain/repair/clean robots in the manufacturing business and do nothing more.

-Home computer control system designers/installers (Would be for operating and controlling home security, temperatures, all appliances, universal plug and play detection with electric sockets, waters gardens, self cleaning windows and external walls.) They could market this with basic packages and premium with even more features. All of this to be remotely controlled from a hand-held display device over satellite/mobile networks from any location. Take the duties of your home on the road with you! So robotic...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,320 Posts
I predict that the TV concept will be done away with and TV 'channels' wills simply be hosted on respective websites. The new TV's will simply fetch from those channels with the usual Cat5e cables. Oh, and obviously to support the expanded overhaul, the average bandwidth per household would be much larger. Basically, TV providers will simply become ISP's and the broadcasting companies will host on the web.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,620 Posts
I predict that the TV concept will be done away with and TV 'channels' wills simply be hosted on respective websites. The new TV's will simply fetch from those channels with the usual Cat5e cables. Oh, and obviously to support the expanded overhaul, the average bandwidth per household would be much larger. Basically, TV providers will simply become ISP's and the broadcasting companies will host on the web.
We're pretty much already there. Although I do miss programmed channels. I liked channel surfing, and there's a very different dynamic to watching a show at a certain time rather than downloading it and watching it when you want. I would really like TV stations to start streaming their content, ads and all.

I also think there's something lost with personalized internet radio sites like Pandora. It used to be that MTV and radio stations kept large groups of people more or less on the same page musically, and music was a bonding experience. These days, I feel like I'm in my own little bubble of admittedly great music. It's a little lonely, though.

Don't mind me, just taking one further step down the path to "get off my damn lawn!"-ville.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,620 Posts
GRE tutor for Kaplan = $25/hr

Tutoring in general is good, especially group tutoring because you can charge each person separately for a lower fee, so you both win.
Hmm. That's a very good idea, and I am in a college town. Any idea how to go about advertising or something?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,669 Posts
Hmm. That's a very good idea, and I am in a college town. Any idea how to go about advertising or something?
If you want to work for a test prep company, they post openings online.

If you want to tutor other subjects freelance-style (I'm sure you could do writing, prep kids for the SAT writing section, or state boards, or whatever), you could use Craigslist or post up ads on bulletin boards around campus.

It's starting to really annoy me that PerC's spell check underlines "online"...
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top