Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A double edged sword drinking is. I admit I've been doing a lot of drinking lately. Probably too much. Hell perhaps one drink is too much, who knows!? But screw this. I want to attempt to stop or seriously cut back as I am sure there are better things to do and spend money on.

So lets try a challange. To stop or cut back, your choice. For me, I would at least like to go a week. May have some slips or stumbles I'm sure but I want to way cut back. What about you?

·
Registered
596 Posts
can't stop what I've never started

Reactions: grandpa2390

·
Registered
406 Posts
Alcohol has never had any appeal to me either. I've always had an aversion to any mood or mind alternating substances. I like to stay mentally in control.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Alcohol has never had any appeal to me either. I've always had an aversion to any mood or mind alternating substances. I like to stay mentally in control.
I don't care for the effects of alcohol as much anymore, besides the briefest of social pickups, it's one of the most destructive drugs to overtake western society. Still quite enjoyable, but the toll is heavy.

That said, I see a lot of this idea of control lately and I've taken to easing my stance on "Being mentally in control" because that "Control" was exactly what was tearing up my psyche so much not being able to express what the booze loosened up.

Character armor is an adaptation of primate psychology against trauma and negative social stimulus, but it's also the scourge of mentally hygienic living.

I mean it's not like there's a little 'me' standing on an operating platform in my brain making my body work, I AM me. I am the expression of all the faculties of my mind and body, and I therefore cannot disregard the "Out of control" expressions of my behavior without inducing a very serious schism in what defines a human personality.

This is what Wilhelm Reich would call the Compulsive Character Structure. I'm not necessarily saying that this structure is what you exhibit, but I am saying that if you have to "Control" your personality, that implies that there is some other "Force" trying to knock your "Control" out of orbit. And I don't ascribe to demons or phantasms so i have to take seriously the notion that everyone is simply mass repressing their drives and calling it a virtue.

Obviously this is more nuanced than I can go into but the general premise I think is correct.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I quite like drinking at some phase of the process at least. But I don't. For no other reason than I just don't take the time to go out of my way for it.

·
Registered
INTP
7,024 Posts
I go through phases.

When I started uni in London, it was all about the focus, growing up, not drinking. In fairness I was 25 so didn't care for the crazy wild parties any more anyway. And I managed it.

Then the second semester started and I just had this kind of epiphany. Kind of a 'YOLO' thing. "Let's go and have more fun." So then I went out nearly every weekend with my flat mates. Still it was only a once-a-week thing, but we'd always get completely wrecked. Such is British binge drinking culture.

Now I'm in China studying here. The first semester was fucking ridiculous. There's a bar here that does FREE BEER for an hour EVERY NIGHT. So I went quite berserk. My worst was five BIG nights in a row. Then it cut down to just being the weekends, but I was still going mad when Friday landed.

Now I've gone full circle and am back in a real 'non drinking' mode. It's not a super strict thing though. I've been drunk twice so far, over the past month and a half. That's a MEGA improvement on the last semester. I'm going to the library a lot, don't care about getting wasted, etc. It's quite good really.

Sorry, this post of mine is rather unhelpful. I guess it at least illustrates how it is possible to give up on drinking. As long as one accepts it isn't forever.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Heavy drinking was a high school thing for me. I grew out of it.

For the struggling ones .. check some images what alcohol does to your cerebellum. I find this visual stimulation quite strong. Weirdly enough it didn't work the same way with what tobacco does to your lungs, but maybe that is because I tend to value my brain way more than the rest of my organs.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm the..when I drink I tend to drink heavily (not always mind you, but more often than I would like), it's also almost always when out with friends so maybe a bit coping mechanism?. But at home I might drink a beer in the summer or when I really want something tasty (yes, belgian beer,tasty,none of that ale bluergh), or a glass of wine, maybe 2.But that's like..maybe at most 3 times a month.If even.

·
Registered
ENFP 6w7 694 I guess
1,540 Posts
I have one or two drinks once a week, and that's a cut back for me. The "Yay I can legally drink now" phase I went through when I was 21-22 that caused me to drink heavily has pretty much ended.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I don't drink alcohol ever. (maybe vanilla extract). It doesn't appeal to me in taste or effect.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Just drink responsibly, a couple beers or whatever, and if you can't then it's time to consider not drinking at all. The problem is when people drink to the point that they can't think straight or at all not that they have a couple drinks with their dinner.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts