Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a post in another ENFJ where someone asked if ENFJ cheat and several of the ENFJ in there commented that yes, they may cheat. And the reason may be shocking but it is boredom.

I want to talk about my tendency to feel boredom in relationships and how I overcome it. Not just in relationships but I have had a tendency to also get bored in any scenario/environment/job where I am not challenged and able to grow.

I think I can be quite selfish at times..seeking interactions for my own entertainment. It's the "dance monkey, dance!" scenario where I view the world as my buffet, and I want the world to make me feel and experience something, stimulate me in some way, challenge me and satisfy me, or I simply get...bored.

After things or people become boring I start looking for new things and people. I know this is messed up..but it is the truth. I simply become uninterested. I have to remind myself that life isn't about finding meaning and value in every exchange or interaction-- MOST of life is about going through the motions and doing the daily things that create a consistent stable life. I've learned to embrace that feeling of boredom. When I feel myself no longer feeling as interested in a person or job I find a healthy outlet to get my "fix" while maintaing the relationship and job.

·
Registered
961 Posts
It's a cold world. There's a lot of usury. Some people want to be used. And someone's got to do the using.

You should never be content feeling bored. Boredom is a feeling that something is wrong.

·
Banned
16,307 Posts
Boring can be entertaining if the boring is being done wifh passion.

·
Registered
INTP
1,938 Posts
[
I read a post in another ENFJ where someone asked if ENFJ cheat and several of the ENFJ in there commented that yes, they may cheat. And the reason may be shocking but it is boredom.

I want to talk about my tendency to feel boredom in relationships and how I overcome it. Not just in relationships but I have had a tendency to also get bored in any scenario/environment/job where I am not challenged and able to grow.

I think I can be quite selfish at times..seeking interactions for my own entertainment. It's the "dance monkey, dance!" scenario where I view the world as my buffet, and I want the world to make me feel and experience something, stimulate me in some way, challenge me and satisfy me, or I simply get...bored.

After things or people become boring I start looking for new things and people. I know this is messed up..but it is the truth. I simply become uninterested. I have to remind myself that life isn't about finding meaning and value in every exchange or interaction-- MOST of life is about going through the motions and doing the daily things that create a consistent stable life. I've learned to embrace that feeling of boredom. When I feel myself no longer feeling as interested in a person or job I find a healthy outlet to get my "fix" while maintaing the relationship and job.
It's possible to find enjoyment from multiple different sources which means that everything doesn't need to be interesting all at once. If something is boring you in one instant, who's to say it will bore you in the next? Maybe you need to reach a certain point before it gets interesting (say if you're learning a new skill), or maybe you are finding it boring because of something you're doing and you're not even able to see the good because you're not bringing out the good in what you are dealing with (whether it be a person, etc.) or providing opportunities for the good to flourish. And like I say, the more things you have in your life, the more possibilities there are of moments of excitement/ interest. If you just cut something out of your life because it's boring in one instant, you've just said no to all the interest it could provide in the future. If you are forever starting again, you're never going deep enough to even find all of the interest. Whether you're bored or not is up to you in most instances. Sure, don't go study something you don't enjoy, or date someone you can't stand, but if you enjoyed something in the past then don't toss it just because it is not constantly bringing you high amounts of excitement. And if something isn't at first interesting to you but is interesting to other people then maybe you need to broaden your thinking because you might be missing something that others are getting.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I can get pretty bored when I notice that people seem complacent with a problem and stubbornly refuse to improve themselves no matter what resources or help are made available to them. However I realized over time that this is mostly an illusion in my head, I want to see big signs of change but really I'm just underestimating the rate at which that change occurs, as opposed to it not existing at all. In reality it's always happening, and I just get frustrated that it hasn't reached some end destination I have defined as desirable in my head. I tend to get bored because I want change to happen more rapidly than it actually does, which is mostly my fault for being out of touch with reality. So I try to learn from boredom and use it as a sign that I need to change my expectations. Not to abandon them but just to recalibrate. Disappointment is an inevitability in the life of an idealist...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts