Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ISTPs are stereotypically known to be attracted to certain vehicles like motorcycles and airplanes and so on. What are your takes on those kinds of machines? Are you drawn to them? Does the prospect of transporting yourself in a different manner excite you?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I love technology/engineering. Although probably more about the history of engineering than ultra modern stuff.

I also like making things (currently building a working steam engine model). Pottering around my workshop is good “alone downtime” for me. If anyone feels like coming in I explain something technical until they wished they hadn’t !

For my 40th I spent 1/2 a day driving and firing a steam loco - an experience I can only describe as visceral - the sound, smell, noise and heat! There is something quite amazing about making 50 tons of locomotive move the way you want it to (well most of the time anyway!)

The great thing I find is that I can appreciate this kind of thing on so many levels - the history, romance (actually not that romantic at the time - we added that later), power, cleverness of design, the beauty of form, the human passion and endeavour that went into construction. It’s both a technical story and an emotional ride as well.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Intrinsically, not really. Only reason I find myself attracted to this kind of stuff is to figure out how it works. If I develop sufficient curiosity for a subject then I can spend a lot of time reading up on it or tinkering with it. As far as cars go I think if you own a car you should have some minimal level of knowledge about how it works and its maintenance. Same goes for your computer and other electronics you might own and frequently use. I get amazed by planes observing them at airports but there is exists no reason for me to investigate any further than that.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Nope, not much into cool stuff. But I do get excited for my boys when they get to see or experience big or fast machines. They love it. Especially flying.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm drawn to Aeroplanes. It gets me everything time, It's so amazing.
I understand the thermodynamics and mechanics behind it..
But when I'm in the plane about to take off I'm always like WOW
I don't think I'd want to fly one but they are wonderful machines

Cars, I think they are very funny..Chairs on wheels.lol
Bikes, love em, would like to have one.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Flying a jet would be awesome. Actually anything that gets me pumped I'm up for.
What Slyke said.

Although, I wouldn't say talking about the object gets me excited. Like conversations about machines kind of put me to sleep. But I LOVE variety, and that includes variety of experiences. So yeah, plane rides, motorcycle rides, bicycle rides are all fun because I don't get to experience them everyday.

Plus, it takes me out of myself and into the fun world of Se for a moment or two.

·
Super Moderator
11,506 Posts
My son just made his high school soccer team!Really proud of him!For me,i love to write a nasty,kick ass,sarcastic poem which brings me relief from my INFJ pain...Winks.
I like that you dance to your own drum! :wink:

·
Super Moderator
11,506 Posts
ISTPs are stereotypically known to be attracted to certain vehicles like motorcycles and airplanes and so on. What are your takes on those kinds of machines? Are you drawn to them? Does the prospect of transporting yourself in a different manner excite you?
Hmmmm...I love to ride the back of a Harley! I have never driven one nor intend to. I'd rather sit back, hear and feel the power! Feel the freedom while blowing through the wind! Aeroplanes...nope don't want to fly in one nor fly one! I do watch in awe as they fly overhead! Again, hearing and feeling their power, as well as, their freedom is good enough for me. I used to go to air shows quite often. My favorite is the stealth fighter swooping down low. For me, the sound creates the same energy and fascination that a raging storm does. Both Harley's and stealth fighters exhilarate me more than I can express at the moment!

Reactions: HandiAce and vel

·
Registered
294 Posts
I like some cool stuff...like SWORDS, and LASERS, and SPACESHIPS, and MAGIC, and and and...

:laughing:

Nope, not into cars and motorcycles and airplanes...unless they FLY! well, I guess airplanes do fly, so...maybe they're kinda cool already :D

Reactions: HandiAce and Dalien

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
When I was a kid we had a go-cart and a small motorcycle. I enjoyed riding on them at that time, though I was pretty careful. I also enjoyed riding in my grandfather's speed-boat, and being pulled behind it on skis or a knee-board or inner-tube.

My father and many of his friends were into motorcycles. A couple died in accidents, a couple of others had really scarred up legs due to falls. After this I decided that motorcycles were not quite my thing. I must admit, though, that I have enjoyed the thrill the few times I have allowed myself to indulge in going really fast on a motorcycle.

Skydiving was a fantastic thrill, and I generally enjoy flying, though I have no wish to be the pilot. I would like to take a ride on a hot-air balloon someday. Some friends had horses, and I enjoyed riding them on occasion. I also very much enjoyed white-water rafting, which I was fortunate enough to get to try when I was in Uganda. None of these thrilled me enough to pursue it as more than an occasional distraction however.

I have a tendency toward motion-sickness, which prohibits certain activities, namely reading in an automobile and riding on anything that goes in circles (from a seemingly harmless swing or tilt-a-whirl, to more ominous forms of amusement, such as really loopy roller-coasters). Oddly, this does not apply to the "Gravitron," if anyone is familiar. I do enjoy roller-coasters, however, as long as they do not have an loops or circles. Otherwise, I get a bit green about the gills. Small boats also make me sea-sick, as when I went whale-watching in Cali.

I do enjoy trains, and, to a (much) lesser degree, buses. I love to stare out the window and get lost in an Ni trance. Plus, I can still read in a train.

As far as the gadgets themselves, I am, for the most part, not much interested, though I do have a certain romantic nostalgia for trains, and want to take the Trans-Siberian some day.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I would like to drive a bike but I would probably get scared shitless after 20 seconds of doing it...so I would slow down like...a lot...:p

·
Registered
303 Posts
Cars. I don't know the technical stuff about cars, or what it is about them that I like, I just know that I've paid attention to the different kinds (makes, models, etc) since my first memories. They fascinate the heck out of me.

Reactions: Dalien

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Sorry, I'm not cool and therefore I'm not qualified to talk about cool stuff.

JK.

Anyway... uh vehicles... machines... did you mean to post this on the ISTP or ISFJ thread? is this here on accident?

I'm drawing blanks on this topic... i like to drive.... with a lot of music on.... and i like to get lost in my thoughts... thats what excites me about any type of rides. car rides. train rides. air rides. motorcycle rides. otherwise there's nothing that particularly fascinates or excites me about machines or vehicles, sorry.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I like some cool stuff...like SWORDS, and LASERS, and SPACESHIPS, and MAGIC, and and and...

:laughing:
Yes :tongue: When I saw the word cool I instantly thought "magic"

You know I heard that motorcycles aren't even supposed to be noisy
I forget the reason why
but as an analogy, it is the same as the vacuum cleaner.
Actually silent but made to be noisy, so that the person using it could really believe it was working
,that the louder the suction appeared to be, the better the product.

I like some cars.. the way they look
You have more choice than motorcycle.
and the privacy is nice and they're not noisy too.
But yea I love to use different kinds of transportation.. When I moved to the city on my own for the first time, I was trying many things. bicycle, canoe, ship, airplane, taxi, bus, subway
Someday I want to go on a steam train.
Ideally I'd just teleport

·
Super Moderator
11,506 Posts
Opps! I forgot to add 1971 Chevelle SS were always my favorite car, but I do like the newer Chargers 3.5 L! Years upon years ago, I owned a "71" Chevelle SS with a 350 engine. That car had me down the street before I was there! Now, how on earth did I forget this!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts