Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Probably the same reasons people do all kinds of things immoderately -- they're bored or sick of themselves, they want some kind of sensible change.

So, I don't know, people grow some babies, buy new clothes, huff paint, get pedicures.

Not a very interesting answer, but I think it's about 79% accurate.

·
Registered
184 Posts
because they are wasteful. I think some people just tend to indulge and have no real self-control of themselves, and don't think about it. They prefer enjoyment in terms of short terms and don't think about what else they could do with their money a bit more responsibly. I don't like it much either.

Reactions: Froody Blue Gem

·
Registered
434 Posts
Define what do you mean by "excessive" and "waste". By INTJ standards of not really eating properly, buying food to eat 5 times a day may seem excessive. Why waste money on something that becomes poop anyway :crazy:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Because capitalism encourages people to buy stuff. It is generally seen as a good desirable thing to buy new things. By wasting money you show off that you have enough money to not be bothered by wasting some of it. Basically excessive shopping can be seen as a proof of financial well being and thus high social status.

Then there is of course social aspect to it. Spending a day with friends, chatting, gossiping, having coffee, emptying the bank accounts... Everyone knows/can-imagine this rumba.

Personally I hate shopping. And if some object or service is not necessary I already tend to find it wasteful.

·
Registered
57 Posts
One of the reasons could be at that first many people used to work to live (feeling trapped) and then they started to have spare money to spend on other things (feeling free). By buying they realize their (wrong) vision of freedom.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
For a lot of people it is an addiction. If you don't like that use of the term, call it a strong habit that is hard to break.

Buying stuff makes people feel good. You feel bad, you buy something, that makes you feel better for a little while. Then you feel bad again, so you buy some more. And repeat. Eventually you are in debt and your house is filled up with stuff you don't care about. That makes you feel really bad. Better go shopping and feel better.

It is their habitual coping mechanism. And the more overwhelmed or unhappy a person feels, the more they lean on it. It is a difficult cycle to break, because it is self-reinforcing.

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
2,601 Posts
I try my best to save money myself. Some people may splurge because shopping makes them happy. They may also be blindly following commercials. People take the time and effort to make the products look better than they are in reality and some people are gullible. Even on Amazon, items may look more appealing in the picture than they are in real life. They mad be really depressed about something and it could be a coping mechanism. It can just be a coping mechanism for stress that causes more harm than good if taken too far.

When it comes to shopping for things that I like, I do understand the feeling. I don't do it out of depression myself but when I see things I really like, I have to fight temptation. I sometimes have spent hours looking around on Amazon and adding things to my wishlist. :eek: With gift money, I manage to let it build up for a while. However, I admit I will splurge especially after I let a bunch of Amazon cards build up. There are a lot of tempting things out there to buy. With money I make from my job, I only spend it on necessities. I don't feel comfortable spending it on silly things especially because I work hard to earn it. I have a lot to learn about finances but I think I have enough self control in some areas.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I buy wayyyyyy too much stuff. It's like stress relief for me. Decisiveness is like a drug to me ... my own decisiveness is relaxing to me. And if I can't be decisive about some real life thing then it's easy to be decisive about a purchase.

I'm constantly in debate about whether or not that's a problem though, because I also have a better paying job and more savings than most people I know.

Hmmm lol.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Because they want to and marketing is ingenious.

I thought you were going to create interesting threads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts