Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's one thing, I don't really have a religion. (I'm a Roman Catholic in paper though. But I guess not anymore). Some sects force other people that they're right and they should join them.

Rather than promoting what they are believing in. These groups tend to compete with each other rather focusing in the doctrines that they want other people to support as well.

I have nothing against on the concept of God. I'm actually a Deist.

oh, almost forgot this predestination crap. I don't give a damn whether this is true or not. People nowadays use this concept as an excuse in their problems. Some says that everything will be alright because they God in their side. He has plans for them. I mean, come on, don't they think that helping/working on the problem would be a much better solution?

Do you share the same sentiments? Please do reply in this thread. Anybody is entitled to their opinions anyway. Feel free to say anything.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't believe in any religion; they were invented by a bunch of intelligent apes that are a couple hundred thousand years old in a universe that is 13.798 ± 0.037 billion years and so vast that it is incomprehensible. We are not so significant that we have the answers. Do I believe in a god? Well, what is a god? A bunch of humanoids with supernatural powers and omnipresence? An entity so intelligent that it can only be perceived to have god-like qualities? The game master if the universe happens to be a simulation? A floating energy sphere? Cthulu? We need a clear definition of what a god is before it'd be useful to answer that question. I consider myself an agnostic because I don't think that it's rational to reject the idea that there might exist something god-like out there.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Here's one thing, I don't really have a religion. (I'm a Roman Catholic in paper though. But I guess not anymore). Some sects force other people that they're right and they should join them.
Well, I'm muslim on paper.

I have nothing against on the concept of God. I'm actually a Deist.
I dont believe in god, but I accept the possibility. Even the christian or muslim god can be real, it is however impossible for those gods to be the same gods they calls themselves, because of their "slight" exaggerations and a "few" psychological problems..
Anyway, We(with a friend) did calculate the probability of us being created by an infinite loop of AIs.
Think of this, in a few years(or hundreds) we can write programs that are capable of creativity. And we will DEFINITELY write a program that recreates history. Perhaps a simulation of the first humans. And those "program" humans will live in that computer and will in millions of years, create a program that can do the same. Its really arrogant of us to call ourselves the "first". Chances are, we will create thousands of these history programs. And each of those history programs will create a thousand more. And each of them created a thousand before.

oh, almost forgot this predestination crap. I don't give a damn whether this is true or not. People nowadays use this concept as an excuse in their problems. Some says that everything will be alright because they God in their side. He has plans for them. I mean, come on, don't they think that helping/working on the problem would be a much better solution?
Again, chances are, we are predestined. Partly because there isnt anything completely random in the universe, If you know ever variable at a singular time, you can know what will happen next. Unless of course, there is something that is actually random.
Does this affect me in any way? No. :kitteh:

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I'm an ignosticist/igtheist, but I usually call myself an agnostic atheist (because most people don't know what the hell an ignosticist is, and I don't want to have to explain it every damn time someone asks me about my faith [or lack thereof]).

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I don't believe in any religion; they were invented by a bunch of intelligent apes that are a couple hundred thousand years old in a universe that is 13.798 ± 0.037 billion years and so vast that it is incomprehensible. We are not so significant that we have the answers. Do I believe in a god? Well, what is a god? A bunch of humanoids with supernatural powers and omnipresence? An entity so intelligent that it can only be perceived to have god-like qualities? The game master if the universe happens to be a simulation? A floating energy sphere? Cthulu? We need a clear definition of what a god is before it'd be useful to answer that question. I consider myself an agnostic because I don't think that it's rational to reject the idea that there might exist something god-like out there.
What you are describing is ignosticism.
Also, the "watchmaker" is Azathoth, the blind idiot god, not Cthulhu (it's a good read). :wink:

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I'll check that link out, too.
It has nothing to do with ignosticism, though.
It's about evolution and how, if there is a divine/higher being guiding it (intelligent design), that being must be presumed to be malignant and/or devoid of intelligence - like Lovecraft's Azathoth.

·
Registered
29,014 Posts
I'm agnostic but I don't bash my family traditions by telling them that everything they believe is false and that church is stupid. I think it's interesting to learn about religion and culture in general but I stand agnostic to concept of there being a God. It's also probably the only time where I see a group of people try to be compassionate to each other and feel unity.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Again, chances are, we are predestined. Partly because there isnt anything completely random in the universe, If you know ever variable at a singular time, you can know what will happen next. Unless of course, there is something that is actually random.
Does this affect me in any way? No. :kitteh:
If predestination is indeed real, it voids the fact that I can think for myself. That I am the master of my own life. Just the thought that I was just hopelessly following a routine that was already preset makes me sick. I experience hardships just to came up with the so called "right decisions" in my dilemmas yet it's already set what I'll choose?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Grandmaster Yoda I'm actually in the same shoe. But the thing here is that there's a religion in my country in particular, has these traditions or rules that holds their people to the neck. Believe me they are strict as hell. But oh well, I have no right to bash them or tell them they're right or wrong anyway. I'm keeping this to myself though I have some friends to discuss this with, but I wouldn't dare to discuss this with the people who love their religion so much. Some people are not that open-minded. Just a bit curious to what other people think that's why I made this.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
I went through stages in my life:

1. Raised methodist. Belief by default until I was maybe 15.
2. Intellectually realize religion is probably nonsense but also realize if there is even a 1% chance it is true, better believe because of Pascal's wager: can't risk going to hell.
3. Emotional religious impulses still beneath surface. Adopt Zen Buddhism and search fanatically for enlightenment (emotional surrogate for God, but more believable) for 5 years (22-27).
4. At 27 hit emotional rock bottom, life in ruins, out of hope, turn to God. Religious fanatic for a few months. No job. Pray all day every day. Somehow life gets even worse. Waking nightmare.
5. Realize one day I can either give up or I'm going to have to be put in a mental institution. Choose to give up. Was almost 28.
6. Atheism. Happiness. 29 now.

·
Registered
29,014 Posts
@Grandmaster Yoda I'm actually in the same shoe. But the thing here is that there's a religion in my country in particular, has these traditions or rules that holds their people to the neck. Believe me they are strict as hell. But oh well, I have no right to bash them or tell them they're right or wrong anyway. I'm keeping this to myself though I have some friends to discuss this with, but I wouldn't dare to discuss this with the people who love their religion so much. Some people are not that open-minded. Just a bit curious to what other people think that's why I made this.
Well of course I wouldn't necessarily have that problem because I live in secular New York so if someone doesn't like religion it's not like it's a big deal. Even if they belong to a religion but don't go to church it's not like there will be a flogging. The previous statement applies to my immediate family, we don't actively practice religion other than go church on holidays and certain things, but to be fair most people around me are Catholics and always say they take religious classes or something of that nature. In my Greek Orthodox Church I took Sunday school but it just never held up and I just didn't go at all.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm actually against parents who are raising their children with the religion they have. Why do they have to push their beliefs on their child. By doing so, you're like brainwashing them in a sense. The doctrines of that sect would surely be the basis of what's right and wrong. Some people do get out of this situation but some don't. Which is kinda sad.

I went through stages in my life:
6. Atheism. Happiness. 29 now.
Guess this sums up want you wanna say? Haha.

2. Intellectually realize religion is probably nonsense but also realize if there is even a 1% chance it is true, better believe because of Pascal's wager: can't risk going to hell.
But dude this made me burst into laughter! lol

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Grandmaster Yoda Good for you buddy. My country is a religion-oriented one. So I have that going for me which is bad. Stereotyping people with different religions or atheists is really evident. Some even experience prejudice.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Lord Xenu is the one and only true God.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Raised Protestant Christian for the beginning of my life. Started noticing logical flaws left and right and left it a little beyond 10 years of age. Agnostic atheist at this point.
Interested in mythology and new modes of thought, I researched various left and right about world religions and their manner of working and ended up becoming very attached to Roman Catholicism first humanistically. After a hefty amount of theological work between religions I focused back on Christianity and Roman Catholicism I began to side with it spiritually, though I'd say I'm in the Liberal Catholic camp.

My parents don't know anything about this and the slightest comment about being be positive towards Catholics gets my mother all upset.

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,924 Posts
I'm a spiritual non-theist. I do believe in something bigger than myself: The universe, and everything in it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@Grandmaster Yoda Ironically, they don't act like that towards other people. I apologize if I have offended you in someway though. It's just that the religions here in my country tick me off. You could clearly here one saying that if we don't believe in them, they will be the only one going to heaven.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts