Personality Cafe banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.capt.org/mbti-assessment/estimated-frequencies.htm

I notice there isn't much discussion about the SJ types, even though they're the most common. According to one estimate, ISFJ and ESFJ are most common among women, and ISTJ and ESTJ most common among men. SFJ men and STJ women are still more common in general than any of the NFs. Would you say SFJ is the 'stereotypical' female and STJ the 'stereotypical' male? SJs are probably seen as 'most people' too.

It seems a lot of sensor-judgers aren't really identified, many don't take much interest in the MBTI. But I think they're fairly obvious. How do you get along with them? I notice some have a prejudice against them. I guess SJs typify things like traditional, conservatism, conventionality...if they're liberal, it's in a very 'follow the crowd' kind of way, they more just blend into their environment without changing it as much.

I guess if the estimates are correct we live in a sensor dominated world, so perhaps understanding these types is important. I think I've always naturally gravitated towards intuitives, but I don't think of sensors as lesser/less deep, I think I could use more S myself.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
I love Social Justice!

But seriously, SJs get a lot of crap. SJ doesn't mean unoriginal or brainwashed or stupid. It just means they use Si as their dominant perceiving function.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
To some extent, I think there's a tendency, borne of excessively functions-driven understandings of typology and/or use of the Kiersey temperaments, to see SJ and SP types in particular as defined primarily by those preferences (the effect being less pronounced for N-types because the functions focus leads towards NJ and NP, whilst Kiersey goes for NT and NF, so there's greater variation). So people focus on the standard ideas of what an "SJ" type is said to be like - they "want security, stability, and to belong", "trust the past, tradition and authority", and "like standard operating procedures to protect and preserve" (all quotes from Introduction To Type) - and tend to disregard or diminish the differences between the four SJ types, which I think could be part of the problem...

I've never quite understood why some people so intensely dislike SJ types (then again, I struggle to understand disliking an entire type at all; what basis is there for spreading one's scorn so generally?). Then again, I thought I was an ISTJ myself for some time...

·
MOTM January 2013
10,667 Posts
I love how grounded they are, usually have good common sense, maybe too much, hehe! Im mainly operating off their Si preference though as they may prefer Te or Fe. There is still conflicts between Fe and Te even though both prefer Si.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.