Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have read a lot of online articles/personality profiles about how INFP are prone to suicide. I feel like most INFPs are not capable of suicide even when sometimes they have suicidal thoughts. Honestly, sometimes I do have suicidal thoughts when I have moments of feeling very depress. However, when I do have suicidal thoughts I know I'm not capable of suicides. I guess I think about people who really do love me (family) and I think abouttheir feelings if I'm gone. Have you heard any infp that did commit suicide? If not, please talk about anything what help keep you alive lol or about how you save yourself or anything related

(Edit) Forgive me for the part where I wrote lol. I was trying to lighten things up and I was typing at the time as I was about to sleep. Please forgive my bad grammar, I'm not the best writer lol.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Any INFP's who committed suicide?
Umm.. Kurt Kobain?

please talk about anything what help keep you alive lol
why are you laughing out loud to this?

Anyway, most of the time in my case, it's not about suicide, it's more about being stuck in a rut somewhere. It means following through routine activities and eventually finding that I have nothing in my near future to be excited about. My INFJ brother and INFJ friend are both my roommates in a student flat, but they use their magical Ni function, which rules out any fear of the future, as INFJ's seem to be pretty content with uncertainity of the future, while for me, it's really important to have some event to live for, in the near future. Without it , everything becomes meaningless and I actually have to start counting things again what makes my life worth living for. I am never gonna commit any suicide, I mean more like living the life I live right now, and not changing it drastically in a direction where I would not be stuck in a rut any time soon.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I'd be lying if I said I never think about suicide. I've been in enough pain, both physical and emotional, to have entertained the thought it. I don't think I would do it in my present condition because there is a lot I still can do and want to do. It would be easy enough for me--just eat a handful of nuts and it would be over quick. After watching some people close to me die agonizing deaths, I could see doing it if my quality of life were bad enough with no hope for recovery.

I have no religious beliefs so I refrain from judging anyone who chooses to take their own life. Who are we to force someone to suffer so we can feel self-righteous about the pain it causes their loved ones?

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I have read a lot of online articles about how INFP are prone to suicide. I feel like most INFPs are not capable of suicide even when sometimes they have suicidal thoughts. Honestly, sometimes I do have suicidal thoughts when I have moments of feel very depress. However, when I do have suicidal thoughts I know I'm not capable of suicides. I guess I think about people who really do love me (family) and I think about their feelings if I'm gone. Have you heard any infp that did commit suicide? If not, please talk about anything what help keep you alive lol or about how you save yourself or anything related
I don't remember any articles stating that INFPs are "more prone" to committing suicide, to be honest, though I don't doubt they are out there. There must be INFPs who have quit on themselves, others, and their beautiful life journey like this, but it may happen with any other type under a very difficult circumstance.

Sadly, I cannot write for long, because I have some practicing to do tonight, but I'll be as brief as possible (for me, that is.)

I had a specific life changing situation over 2008 which which very much paved the way to who I am today-I was rather different, though also the same (in short, always INFP, though undeveloped.) Afterwards I changed a lot physically due to a strong "INFP cause" revolution that went on in my life, that prevented me from staying just as I was, and basically started a (still ongoing) journey of self-discovery. Lost amazing amounts of weight, gained confidence, developed my persona and image, and changed a lot of what I considered was slowing me down pre-2008.

Almost 3 years ago, I more or less looked like the person I am now. I had basically burstted out of the bubble I was living in in the previous years, and felt good about who I am and my achievements, but was feeling extremely lonely and isolated. Long story short, I felt that, despite all the positive changes in my life, "it had not mattered" because I was even lonelier than pre 2008-which was a lie, but still a very powerful feeling at the time.

I never committed suicide, due to similar feelings to the OP (didn't want to hurt my friends/relatives, or somehow make them feel guilty about what happened.) Also, some dear friends helped me stay off that sad and inappropriate track. But I was considering one night walking on Broadway (NYC), around 23rd to 25th street, to "have an accident" with a car... indeed I was walking almost numb with sadness, and was walking carelessly on the street... but thankfully I never got to do it (it could have happened, though.)

My "reasons":

-Felt wholly unloved by anyone EVER romantically. The relationship I was in previously pre 2008 was not a good one, and I was being used-not loved.
-Felt hopeless, because although i felt good about my own image, and was basically an improved person, nobody still loved me, even after my evolution.
-Didn't realize it was perfectly normal and OK (!) for me to be in that situation, because I discovered more about myself, my INFPness and NF temperament, among other things, later on early 2011. Things very much clicked for the better thereafter, and I have never experienced such strong feelings of quitting my journey ever since.

It is very possible I was loved for the first time on 2011, but that was online and over text-messaging, and didn't really last long-I didn't even get to meet the individual in question (was one of those rare occasions in which real love happened very fast-which I wouldn't recommend to rely on as "the norm" at all, even if you are the romantic type.) Someone did tell me "I love you with all my heart" for the first time, which was rather surprising and unexpected, but things didn't align themselves as they should, and it wasn't meant to be, which is OK. :) (Best of luck to that nice INFJ.)

What I mean to say is that even though I may have never be loved (supposing that INFJ didn't mean her words, though I do believe she was being honest about her feelings), and things haven't changed that much, I now has come to love myself even more than I did back then on 2010 during the short but life-threatening crisis, and though I have felt sadness quite a few times afterwards and even recently, I have never come back to that point in my life and don't want to-it's not an option to quit on myself after I have come so far... nad life is so beautiful still, despite all heartbreaks and amidst the tragedy!!!

So, dear OP, what is it making you feel this way? I very much don't want you to quit on yourself, and I say so with tears. Each of us have a powerful and beautiful reason to live, even if it's as simple as we deserving to see ourselves flourish as we were meant to-to keep discovering our true selves, and keep being excited about what's to come. Do you feel unwanted, or not fit, and such feelings? Because you are very much a wonderful human being, and not only for your loved ones, but more for love of yourself, I implore you not to quit on what can really be a beautiful and exciting life for yourself.

INFP Love,

ID

Back to my music world now... <3

·
Registered
392 Posts
I almost did it a couple years ago. Boyfriend thing (whatever we are) literally talked me off the ledge. I'd been suicidal for years and, basically, a fucking shitton of emotions came out of fucking nowhere and it was unbearable. (That's a long, long story.) I started therapy and that's really helped. Apparently when I moved the floodgates on all my repressed emotions and thoughts were opened and just.. fucking hell.

Even then, there was some part of me that didn't want to do it. There were small things, however seemingly insignificant, that I couldn't bring myself to part with/think about/deal with/whatever. Like my bird. I didn't want to abandon her and birds take a while to bond. The other night I was considering it (thoughts will likely always be with me, just not enough to act on), and what stood out most was abandoning my best friend, and how I couldn't do that.

Distractions work well. Honestly, even just going to bed. I can't fucking count the number of times I've just slept it off. Waking up with a clearer mind seems to at least get me down enough to be somewhat rational. I've dealt with it in more unhealthy ways (read- self harm), but that makes it so much worse in the end and is a terrible way to deal with it. There's a few similar things along the same vein (no pun intended), just makes it worse in the long run. This is a list of self harm distractions, but I've used them while suicidal.

My problem is that I internalize everything. I rarely talk about how I'm feeling/the severity of it, so I end up thinking about every mother fucking single little god damn fuckup I've ever made and that makes it worse. Don't do that. Because that's bad. And that's just not conductive at all. I end up in that thought pattern and it is just one of the absolute worst things that I can do.

One thing that's worked for me is always reminding myself that I can do it tomorrow. Say I'm suicidal Monday night. Okay, I'll kill myself Tuesday night. I will go to bed, I will do something Tuesday morning/day, and on Tuesday night I'll go ahead, because it's just one more day, and if I'm that serious about it, it shouldn't matter. Do something, anything, that you might like. Go to the zoo, take a roadtrip (that's iffy, trust yourself on whether you feel safe to drive for an extended period), go to a park, anything. I've found that generally by Tuesday night, I'll have snapped out of it enough. Say I'm still considering it Tuesday night, I'll continue repeating it, essentially prolonging my life because fuck it if I'm gonna die in a few days why the hell not do something insane/crazy/spontaneous? Do something crazy like skydiving, because if you're so intent on dying why the fuck not jump out of an airplane? Put it off until you can see your favorite artist perform in person, until you finish your bucket list, etc etc.

I'm rambling again. Honestly, I'd even go as far as to suggest getting a pet. They're loving, cuddly (generally), and at the very least, one more reason not to, one more reason to stick around.

If you're thinking about it, though (seriously enough to write this and all), I strongly recommend trying to find a therapist. It might take some trial and error to find one that you 'click' with, but I honestly am so grateful I went.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For myself, I've never experienced severe suicidal thoughts even in my darkest days, mainly for the constant joy that life and family/friends brings me. I feel maybe the closest to suicide I've ever been was when I felt overly betrayed and questioned the honesty of the joy i was receiving from life.

When it comes to suicide remember that it's a selfish and hurtful thing to do those who care for you, even if it seems like they don't care. Even for minor acquaintances, no one wants to hear news of someone they knew dying it's unsettling and depressing. I would view every perspective and angle of the overall effect of your suicide closely. The It's a Wonderful Life Effect.

You definitely don't want to "break" as an INFP. Never get to the point that the ideals and dreams you have for yourself are unobtainable. The moment this occurs life as a whole will come tumbling down. Fight against it! Optimism! Idealism! Get a cat! Live!

·
Registered
INFP 648 sx/sp
2,937 Posts
I have read a lot of online articles/personality profiles about how INFP are prone to suicide.
Are INFPs prone to suicide? For me, I tend to think it's the same question as Are INFPs prone to depression, and I have said before I think this is the case. Suicide (while not always the result of depression) is depression taken really to its ultimate conclusion. Plenty of depressed INFPs, plenty of suicidal ones. Same with people in general. There are plenty of depressed people on PerC and a good few people more seriously considering suicide, too. (PM me you guys!)

I feel like most INFPs are not capable of suicide even when sometimes they have suicidal thoughts. Honestly, sometimes I do have suicidal thoughts when I have moments of feel very depress. However, when I do have suicidal thoughts I know I'm not capable of suicides. I guess I think about people who really do love me (family) and I think abouttheir feelings if I'm gone.
I think that's just your perspective, which like mine and like everyone else's, is incomplete. Suicide is typically (and I appreciate I am generalising but as a general pattern it holds) the result of wanting to escape from interminable, intolerable and inescapable pain. That's an actual suicidology thing, 'the three Is'. I think most people do not understand, even those who have felt similar symptoms of near-severity due to depression and/or whatever else, how much pain any person who resorts to ending their own existence as a solution is actually in. If you're in enough pain your priorities are going to shift. People kill themselves every day surrounded in their lives by family and friends. Are they inconsiderate? Maybe, but until you or I am ever in a position to be in enough pain to understand their desperation, who are we to judge?

Any person who is in enough pain is fully capable of taking their own life. Anyone, INFPs included. The human body is tough but simultaneously fragile. The ease with which any person can irreversibly damage their body to the point of death is really astounding and very scary when you think about it.

There is a very large gap in severity between first having suicidal ideation and actually getting to the stage of making detailed plans and assembling necessary materials for suicide. This is not to trivialise the suffering of people who find themselves in the former position, which is bad enough as it is, but simply having thought of suicide does not mean you fully understand what it is like to actually sit on the edge. No-one can understand, truly, unless they have done it too. If you 'know you're not capable of suicide', it simply means you've had the good fortune in life never to be in enough pain to make more serious plans.
You are fully capable of killing yourself. So are all of us.

Have you heard any infp that did commit suici? If not, please talk about anything what help keep you alive lol or about how you save yourself or anything related

(Edit) Forgive me for the part where I wrote lol. I was trying to lighten things up and I was typing at the time as I was about to sleep. Please forgive my bad grammar, I'm not the best writer lol.
Kurt Cobain is probably the most famous. But since there may be dozens or hundreds a day he's hardly an example of a freak event.

Stuff that helps keep me alive?
- Wanting to do something good with my life which I haven't really so far. I've barely done one truly good thing I can think of.
- Wanting to find out what it's like to be loved by another person.
- Wanting to find out what it's like not to be depressed.
- Wanting to set up a new life for myself and buy and do all the other stuff I want - the list is huge.
- Philosophically I believe death is The End of my one chance, so I might as well keep going.
- If I kill myself the haters win, and I'd much rather build myself a good life on the other side of the world and send them a letter explaining in detail why and how they can go about fucking themselves.

During my worst times the list begins to fail. The only one that's never failed is the second one. I really want to do that, because hey, I think I deserve it.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Forgive me for the part where I wrote lol. I was trying to lighten things up and I was typing at the time as I was about to sleep.
Well okay, but there is no need to lighten up anything when the topic is suicide.

Reactions: StElmosDream

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I attempted suicide when I was in high school. My father cheated on my mother, my mother left, and my world turned upside down. I was already depressed and dealing with an eating order and self-harm before this occurred, so it all felt like too much to bear.

Thankfully, I was hospitalized for a few day and didn't damage myself in any way. I have become suicidal since then, but not for a very long time... for the last year and a half I've been meditating and practicing yoga daily and it has increased my quality of life exponentially, in a way I never thought possible. I actually broke up with someone I love deeply a week ago, and while I'm not exactly in the best state of mind, this is something that would have crippled me two years ago, that would have caused me to turn to self-harm and dark, suicidal thoughts. My coping mechanisms have changed. I focus on things I love and put my happiness first, regardless of what other people think... there are many reasons why I don't feel suicidal anymore, but the main one is that I've learned to love myself. This is the key to everything! And it is DIFFICULT when you're in that suicidal place, but it's not impossible. If I can turn my depression around, anyone can :)

Love yourselves, people! You're all worth it! Yes, I'm talking to you. Seriously.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I got nudged off the edge about two years ago when I had my attempt - one really great outcome though is that I'm almost certain I will never try to do it again, despite being prone to these feelings that really just hop out of no where.

I no longer suffer from depression, however quite sporadically I get these feelings when I'm low. I think when I'm low - even if momentarily, I really hit bottom and I sit there thinking 'how am I going to endure these hours?', waiting until I'm next happy again. Within a day I can go from being ecstatically happy to thinking 'I just want to opt out right now'. I've had these days quite frequently lately but I almost feel like experiencing the anxiety and the depressed thoughts is worth it because it really provides contrast to when I am ecstatically happy.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I've been very suicidal for the past few months, after a really unexpected and random breakup, sometimes considering it very seriously...
Now those thoughts are drifting away, luckily, or not... What I'm not gonna be is like 'Ohhh, I regret thinking about suicide!'.. Maybe I'll be like that when I'm not depressed, but I actually wouldn't mind if I had done it before...
I still wish I died rather often. Pessimistic novels or philosophy like Schopenhauer is where I'm finding ways to make my existence tolerable ironically...

I'm sure INFPs will think of suicide more and before than other types, but most of the time it will be romantic fantasies. I was like that for a long time before, before finding PERC... talking about a year and a half ago now. I had been considering suicide then for a pretty long time, it came and went. But I wouldn't have done it, there was no big crisis or 'trauma' or anything.

You see, at the time I had always been alone, and after that I started meeting people (most importantly my girlfriend). I've been much more suicidal when I've lost all this. So I realized that someone that has never had anything will suffer less that someone that has it for a while and then loses it.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I've been very suicidal for the past few months, after a really unexpected and random breakup, sometimes considering it very seriously...
Now those thoughts are drifting away, luckily, or not... What I'm not gonna be is like 'Ohhh, I regret thinking about suicide!'.. Maybe I'll be like that when I'm not depressed, but I actually wouldn't mind if I had done it before...
I still wish I died rather often. Pessimistic novels or philosophy like Schopenhauer is where I'm finding ways to make my existence tolerable ironically...

I'm sure INFPs will think of suicide more and before than other types, but most of the time it will be romantic fantasies. I was like that for a long time before, before finding PERC... talking about a year and a half ago now. I had been considering suicide then for a pretty long time, it came and went. But I wouldn't have done it, there was no big crisis or 'trauma' or anything.

You see, at the time I had always been alone, and after that I started meeting people (most importantly my girlfriend). I've been much more suicidal when I've lost all this. So I realized that someone that has never had anything will suffer less that someone that has it for a while and then loses it.
Hello Naidox,

I totally understand your sense of loss, and am sorry you had to go through this. As much a romantic I may be myself, it must still be said that there are logical steps to overcome the sometimes overwhelming feelings you sometimes go through, thinking about the incident.

(I don't know the situation, nor will I ask about it. I believe these principles apply regardless.)

It happened, it's painful, it's OK, because:

A)It wasn't meant to be-it would be otherwise, but it isn't anymore, so it wasn't.

B)It will make you stronger and even better prepared for any future relationships-just be sure to let it develop yourself rather than block your personal progress. It's necessary to make it a stepping stone rather than a stumbling stone in your life journey.

C)We deserve to be in a loving and working relationship. You, me, everyone (if they want to be in a relationship, of course). Yes, you. If it didn't work out, it's not fair to blame yourself all the time (even if you did make mistakes, because you just live and learn, and do better next time). If you had a loving spouse and she unexpectedly died, it doesn't mean that you will be barren from love again, that your love life will be forever crippled with no hope for the future, or that no one will ever love you as she did... because you are indeed worth to be loved back again; the SAME applies for breakups. (I understand the romantic stance against this, because I am one, but indeed there's nothing wrong with letting ourselves be loved back again.)

If your romantic heart tells you "I thought love is meant to last forever!"; indeed it CAN and I expect it will if I am in love, but it sometimes doesn't pan out that way because things not always go right, unforeseen obstacles get in the way, people forget to work in their relationship skills (it's not about "working" at love to "force it", but rather letting love flourish through sound interpersonal skills), and many other factors that may or not apply to your own situation. If love didn't work out in a relationship, it doesn't mean that it wasn't authentic-it WAS, you FELT that way, and I believe what you felt was authentic, but you must let it go as a valuable life experience rather than the life-crushing, inescapable situation that it really isn't (because it's obvious you are worthy to be loved back AGAIN, but you must be ready by letting go of something that wasn't meant to last forever-that love may be eternal, but some relationships just aren't.)

Love is such a beautiful feeling... let it happen again by letting go of that which wasn't meant to be... lest you miss out on true love by holding on to a loving memory. Love yourself this way, and let yourself be loved again.

Love,

ID

·
Registered
771 Posts
@IcarusDreams Thanks, I've already had tons of that said to me though. And I already know which ways are likely to help me recover and I'm working on it, I'm not stuck... Well, I hope not. Tomorrow I'll go to a Zen Buddhism center for the first time and I have faith that it will be very helpful and maybe a start to give new meaning to my life.

·
Registered
384 Posts
When I'm really low and down, I sometimes think of suicide, it's been more on my mind the past couple months since I've been depressed for a view months. The funny thing is as I'm writhing this now I feel good and enthousiastic to improve myself and my art, so it's really going up and down for me, and feelings are always chancing and I'm never really long in a stable mood, my brother says I am a person of extremes. But yeah I've thought a lot about suicide and it were more fantasies of how it would be like and what I would write in my goodbye note. The thought of always having this as an option gives me a strange peacefull feeling. Mabye it's also an enneagram thing...... I found this really insightfull and type 4 is spot on for me when I'm really unhealthy!

The Vindictive Triad: E8, E1, E3
All these Types have a tendency to put themselves in a superior role and destroy others (people and their environment) when in the Unhealthy Levels. E8s feel a delusional power and invincibility (megalomania) and destroy others rather than being forced to submit; E1s feel that they alone know what is "right" and that everything around them must be punished for being wrong and inferior, and destroy others through "purges" of perceived imperfections; E3s convince themselves that everyone is worthless and without value, that they alone are important, becoming hostile and malicious, thwarting and destroying others to regain a sense of superiority.

The Self-Defeating Triad: E2, E4, E6
All these Types have a tendency to put themselves in the victim role and destroy themselves when in the Unhealthy Levels. E2s feel taken for granted and victimised, so they martyr themselves and "unconsciously desire to go to pieces";

E4s feel alienated and rejected, and are self-tormenting and self-disparaging, destroying their own self-esteem and becoming suicidal;

E6s feel take advantage of, convince themselves they are inferior and become clingingly dependent and masochistically self-abasing and self-destructive. All three Types try to elicit the attentions of others to "save" them (from themselves).

The Detaching Triad: E5, E7, E9
All these Types become "unhinged" (detached, drifting apart) when in the Unhealthy Levels – they don’t necessarily destroy themselves or others, they more or less become numb, "static entities" disconnected from everything. E5s compartmentalise and detach from others, sensory experiences and eventually themselves, possibly suffering a schizoid break; E7s become hysterically panicked, disturbed and terrified, burnt-out and seeking to cut off all experience in case it causes more pain; E9s repress their own emotions, block-out those bits of reality they don’t want to deal with and become depersonalised, ineffectual and disconnected from reality.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts