Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the process of growing my business. A service that I have been giving for free I feel is at least a $200 value. Right now what I'm trying to figure out is how much I should charge.

Anyhow, if you were to start a business today, what would it be?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
APP development.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
APP development.
Have you ever used a venture capitalist? I know you mentioned somewhere that you have a business. I'm thinking about it, but I'm not prepared to let go even a portion of my ownership to someone else. I mean the money gained from a venture capitalist will one day be nothing compared what the business will have made.

·
Registered
79 Posts
A pirate themed pizza place. Seriously, I gave the inspiration, and then a few other people said that they are actually going to go along with it. They have talked to their business professors amongst other things. I doubt that it is going to go really far, but it is fun to think about.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I've had an idea rattling in my head.

Service: Provide free city-wide wifi in busy metropolitan areas.
Revenue source: Sell advertisement space to local businesses which would be displayed while users browse the internet.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I've had an idea rattling in my head.

Service: Provide free city-wide wifi in busy metropolitan areas.
Revenue source: Sell advertisement space to local businesses which would be displayed while users browse the internet.
Already being done in several municipalities, hotels and businesses. :( Having worked on designing such an implementation, it's NOT an easy proposition.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Have you ever used a venture capitalist? I know you mentioned somewhere that you have a business. I'm thinking about it, but I'm not prepared to let go even a portion of my ownership to someone else. I mean the money gained from a venture capitalist will one day be nothing compared what the business will have made.
Being on the advisory board of a couple of VCs that focus on brand new business ideas, I can tell you that unless the value proposition is exceedingly high and your business plan rock solid, you don't stand a chance of getting their money.

Best of luck to you, however.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Already being done in several municipalities, hotels and businesses. :( Having worked on designing such an implementation, it's NOT an easy proposition.
I've seen it done before too and I'm actually even using a hotel one right now. Just thought it would be a good idea and maybe I could do it better than the rest. But like you mentioned, the value proposition is the tough part. Especially with this idea.

I always thought downtown Boston would be a good place for something like this. It's just an idea though.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
No, but I have thought of it. They wanted 70-90% of the company!

It can be good though, if they can boost THE BUSINESS, not only put in money. At least for me, as I am not that into the money bit. The right business partners can be gold.

But I chose to glide along without being a Mega-Corp...

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I don't want to start a business. The whole idea sounds tedious in the extreme for me. If I were to start a business it would be because I was really interested in whatever the business was about, not having my own business per se. Dulll, dull, dull.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I don't want to start a business. The whole idea sounds tedious in the extreme for me. If I were to start a business it would be because I was really interested in whatever the business was about, not having my own business per se. Dulll, dull, dull.
You have a definite point there.... Sometimes you just feel that you need to do stuff your way. Ands start doing it. Nowadays I dont even know if I can get a "normal" job.... Who knows...

·
Registered
791 Posts
I've seen it done before too and I'm actually even using a hotel one right now. Just thought it would be a good idea and maybe I could do it better than the rest. But like you mentioned, the value proposition is the tough part. Especially with this idea.

I always thought downtown Boston would be a good place for something like this. It's just an idea though.
Oh, no, it's a great idea, just there are so many variables to consider. Hit me up in PM sometime if you're ever serious about tackling it and I'll tell you some of the things I ran into and how I got around them.

So many things to think about: density of foliage coverage; buildings made of different materials, wave propagation; signal attenuation; mesh vs. point to point; troubleshooting. As I indicated, not a trivial undertaking, but I learned a ton.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I just want to start a company that is more of a label than a company in the traditional sense. Just something so that people see the logo they recognize my style of work.

I'd like to use it to do something with my songwriting and to put out a few video games and mainly make my manga ideas a reality. I don't know that i'd want to run the entire thing though seeing as it might take too much of my time and too much commitment. Partnering with another company might work for me though.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I want to start a business, but I can't due to lack of expertise in any given field. Its a curse of the jack of all trades, master of none type.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I want to start a business, but I can't due to lack of expertise in any given field. Its a curse of the jack of all trades, master of none type.
If that's the case for you, figure out what you like and research the hell out of it. I was similar to you before I started my energy consulting company.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
started 3 businesses, and seen other ENTPs be very successful starting their own

but I've learned that the best ideas start with observation, not inspiration, even for ENTPs

what I mean by this, is that you have to put the Ne to work to find the need, this is very different than surveying or doing market research, which almost never produces a great business, but rather using our Ne to observe something wrong that can be fixed with a completely new idea no conventional thinking numb nut would ever come up with

Steve Jobs, for example, probably wouldn't have come up with the Mac if it weren't for his frustration with command line interfaces

I find it useful to stop my mind and just think about new ideas that could be products, but I need to do light exercise, especially walking, to do this, sitting at the computer is way too distracting

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
started 3 businesses, and seen other ENTPs be very successful starting their own

but I've learned that the best ideas start with observation, not inspiration, even for ENTPs

what I mean by this, is that you have to put the Ne to work to find the need, this is very different than surveying or doing market research, which almost never produces a great business, but rather using our Ne to observe something wrong that can be fixed with a completely new idea no conventional thinking numb nut would ever come up with

Steve Jobs, for example, probably wouldn't have come up with the Mac if it weren't for his frustration with command line interfaces

I find it useful to stop my mind and just think about new ideas that could be products, but I need to do light exercise, especially walking, to do this, sitting at the computer is way too distracting
^ This. My frustration on an everyday observation inspired me to write an e-book that I plan to sell online. I'm still writing the last parts, so we shall see if frustration yields fruit!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts