Personality Cafe banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
MOTM June 2015
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Resentment and anger if allowed to linger and flourish will rob you of happiness. I know because I have allowed these emotions to have a place in my life far too many times. Throughout my life I've wasted a lot of time and energy being angry with those who have wronged me.

It took me much longer than it should have, but I completely see and understand that time spent harboring these emotions is wasted and will only increase misery. The only behavior I truly have any control over is my own. Making my happiness dependent upon the actions of others, only means that there will always be reasons to be unhappy.

There is nothing to be gained by hanging onto negative emotions brought on by things from the past. Understanding the need to let go of them is part of the process of healing, forgiving those who've wronged you is another (forgive so that it no longer holds power over you), looking forward and not back is probably the most important part.

I cannot claim that I never dredge up past resentments and anger because I do from time to time, but I can state unequivocally that there is nothing to be gained by doing this. I am much more content when I view things from the past for what they are, impediments to future happiness.

I don't know that sharing this will help anyone, but I hope that it will. I wish that I had grasped this long ago. I wasted so much of my life being angry and resentful. Hopefully most figure out what a waste this is much quicker than I did. I finally realized that as long as I continued agonizing over the past, and making my happiness subject to the behavior of others, there would always be reasons to be unhappy.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts