Personality Cafe banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Sounds to me that you are looking for someone that you truly 'click' with.

Unfortunately, I'd have to say that it all boils down to chance, and that you need to put yourself out there and find people who you think will share similar interests/ worldviews.

I understand what you are going through. Throughout high school, I was surrounded by many friends, but I don't think most of them got me. Our aspirations, intelligences, attitudes and backgrounds were too different to truly connect, and what was worse, they were sometimes critical and not supportive of my goals/interests, putting me down, not in an overtly mean way, but in a way that made me feel less of myself and doubtful.

But after high school, I let them go. There wasn't a major breakup or anything, just the natural acceleration of people drifting apart. I guess, I'm a bit less attached then you (or a bit more independent), and, though I doubted myself at first, I knew that it was for the best. You become the company you keep and if they make you feel demoralized, or discouraged, well, I thought I deserved better.

So, entering college, I found myself a bit more reserved about people I called friends. I have many acquaintances and I like meeting new people, but I consider myself lucky in the sense that I've found a few people whom I can have long, meaningful conversations with, people who inspire me, and whom I'm sure will end up doing great and wonderful things.

I don't know if I answered your question (lol), but perhaps if you could be more specific in how you are feeling or what you are looking for, I can provide more concrete answers. (Are you in high school btw?)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Also my suggestion to you is to go and explore different social group.

Don't expect that one group or person will fulfill all your needs. I'm pretty unique in the sense that I've met my close friends through different channels and they are not necessarily all friends with one another (goes to show for my diversity of interests). Also, different friends tend to specialize in different things, and I have certain topics of discussion with each (e.g. with one, I might tend to talk more about religion and the law; with another it's politics etc.)

Just out of curiosity, did you stick with your high school group because you shared many things in common or because it was just the thing to do, e.g. familiarity, old faces, that sort of thing?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.