Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
I don't tell people anything like that unless it's relevant AKA a connection point of some sort or if I think they'll notice some things that would lead to me wanting to head things off early.

I mean, I don't stand around and talk about my spiritual views with strangers / new friends either unless it comes up and is relevant.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
I don't. If my preferences happen to come into conversation I'll mention it, but otherwise it's not really something that needs to be brought up.

My close friend of 5 years only found out after I left my phone unlocked with an LGBT website open. It just never came up before then.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Well, considering how important my relationship is to me at this point in my life, anyone who would have any chance of being my friend would hear some reference to that part of my life. And while my mate/fiancee's name is technically gender-neutral, if I felt I had to play the pronoun game with someone even initially, I would be unlikely to consider them as potential friend material.

(I also discovered in the writing of this comment and a little google search that the word fiance/fiancee is gendered! Two e's for female, one for male and sometimes neutral? I had no idea).

·
Registered
942 Posts
Relationships that aren't related to school or work: within the first few weeks. If you don't 'approve' of my sexuality there is no way in hell I will ever consider you my friend. I like to just get it over with.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
I tell those who are close to me.
Those are the only ones I told flat out as I felt that it was something to share,
So they wouldn't be shocked if I brought a man home.

Otherwise,
When asked I will tell,
But I don't "hide" it,
But at the same time don't broadcast it.

It's of no relevance to people who I am not either attracted to,
Or talking to(Friendship and family wise)

·
Registered
322 Posts
I don't have a lot of friends, so . . . :laughing:

Honestly, I don't really talk to friends about it unless they're close, and it never comes up because I have a relationship that looks really straight and very socially-conforming. I'm not in a place right now where I'm super confident or comfortable talking to just anyone about the nature of my romantic life, so I'm currently in a place where I'm assumed to be "straight" which I find uncomfortable, but I'm also not currently comfortable talking openly about my romantic life.

I admit that if I wasn't in a relationship, I would find it easier to explain my sexuality to people.

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
5,197 Posts
It's not so much a matter of telling... spelling it out for them

but rather it becomes clear to most people pretty quickly.

It's a thoroughly integrated part of my identity, of my life... some of it lending back to the naivety of my coming of age that I didn't realize people would really have a problem with it. Which I'd add at that time... I rather thought being a nerd/geek was worse.

I'm really quite surprised when people don't know... even the few times of being accused of being str8 or faux gay, fashionably gay in queer groups. There's quite a bit of anti intellectualism in the gay community, sure there are intellectual, pseudo intellectual, factions... but so many in those crowds tend to be picket fence queers, don't rock the boat, don't be one of those gays... the blatant flaming stereotype that I am. 'course getting my flame on.. . usually screams freak to people more than gay.

so, hmm, I don't know... but usually friends don't become friends without knowing.

It's not like I have a rainbow shooting out of my arse while shouting carebear stare... but for an example, I don't usually use they, them, etc in place of he, him... etc. I'm not investing all that exhausting energy into being discrete or closeted.

'course that is probably forcing it in other people's faces... the same way most of the hetero inclined are doing it to everyone else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts