Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Centuries ago Aristotle wrote:
"For a man to live alone in The Wilderness, he must be either a wild beast or a God."

Some 2300 years later Neitzsche countered:
"Aristotle failed to recognize a third possibility. That such a man could be both."

<<<<<<<<-----------------------take it frum a koon!

IMG_0730.jpg IMG_0732.jpg

Spring at Kamp Jonny Koon.

I've often wondered why it took someone 2300 years to correct Aristotle. The failings of philosophers, kings, politicians, leaders in general for millennia who choose to stay ignorant to the Reality that Humanity is a part & product of its Natural Existence..........

I'm glad Humanity has its civilization and their cities & towns; its "cultural pastimes and religious fantasies" or otherwise they might be here with me. If that were the case I would need to invent some 'civilization' of my own to rid myself of them.........

Attachments

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Kamp Jonny Koon;
back here a month earlier than expected because of The Pandemic and the governmental reactions its caused. All is basically Ok, tho. No complaints, perse'. A great nights sleep & relatively pain free.

<<<<<<<<<<-------------------------take it frum a koon!

Have managed to get enuff food to carry me through the pandemic for awhile. Now that some of the meat plants have closed I'm a lil concerned that I may need to shoot one of the numerous turkeys or squirrels that frequent this area but so far haven't needed to murder any.

I did call the State Forest Service people to get a firewood permit so I could cut firewood on the state land and they were like, Yeah, Jonn, go ahead cut what you need, just dead stuff tho; don't worry about a permit. They normally are pretty strict about it but I guess covid got them lazy. Lol. I cut 4 truck loads of nice dead white oak, 8 inches dia or less into 8 foot lengths, loaded it into the back of the truck and have it piled up here at Kamp.

Been cold this week, temps about 25F degrees below normal for this time of year and awoke 2 days ago (Wednesday) to a couple inches of snow. (See pik above) Windy too - wind chills in the teens. Cold for April. But have enuff wood for awhile till it warms. My usual neighbors are about as well; the already mentioned turkeys & squirrels, 4 deer that show up about every other day. A pair of wood ducks circling the Kamp getting ready to nest in their tree - I assume its the same pair as last year. The owls 'hooting' from a distance & a fox whose tracks I saw in the snow. Welcome back; Jonny Koon Luzsha

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gorgeous day at Kamp Jonny Koon. Been spending it slicing up the wood logs I gathered this past week into kampfire length.

<<<<<<<------------------take it frum a koon!

IMG_0738.jpg

And stacking it.

Reactions: WickerDeer and Sela

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IMG_0740.jpg

Birds Eye view of Kamp Jonny Koon. "Big Brother" is watching.........

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice
I’m glad to see I’m not the only nature lover on here
There is something to be said about spending, nay experiencing the solitude in the wilderness
Actually I experience the wilderness in the solitude..........

<<<<<<<-------------------take it frum a koon!

As far as being a 'nature lover'. That depends i guess on ones definition of 'nature' and which parts of Nature one cares to love vs those aspects that one chooses to not love. Evidently, I'm one of the few people on Earth who thinks Humanity is a part & product of Nature and that the only thing that exists is Nature & "Natural". That spirits & "transcendental worlds" that exist independent of human thought & existence are in fact a part & product of human invention. Human civilization and its inventions; cities technologies, etc , to me are as much a part of Nature as any flower, waterfall, mountain, nebula or distant galaxy........

But that doesn't mean that Humanity's inventions are necessarily part of Earth's Wilderness. those areas relatively untouched by Human civilizations. These So-called "Natural Areas", parks, Wilderness etc that Humanity reserves for itself as recreational places for "a vacation" or "escape' of some sort or period of time are in fact the places that I live. They are not "god's country" to me. Human cities & towns; human civilization - that is god's country to me - as like god these cities & towns are human inventions .

Cities & towns are places I vacate to for brief limited times......... I dont live there and rather than embrace the ideas that Humanity is not an animal or a part & product of its Natural Existence; I have remained faithful to the Earth not heaven or nirvana or any such abstract inventions of the human mind that it has convinced itself to be a revelation from some authoritative spirit & god from a trancendental world........
Kamp Jonny Koon is where I live.........for now

·
Administrator
13,469 Posts
There is so little brush where you live.

Is that from people clearing it, or is it like that without people? Where I live there is a lot of chaparral and it's definitely not as sparse.
But it doesn't snow where I live either. I think it'd have to be wildfires that'd clear chaparral normally.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is so little brush where you live.

Is that from people clearing it, or is it like that without people? Where I live there is a lot of chaparral and it's definitely not as sparse.
But it doesn't snow where I live either. I think it'd have to be wildfires that'd clear chaparral normally.
Forestry 101:

<<<<<<<<<---------------------take it frum a koon!

Where I'm at in West Central Lower Peninsula of Michigan, near Lake Michigan and in Manistee National Forest is typical Northern mixed deciduous & coniferous forests & cedar/tamarack/hemlock swamps and Logging is a big part of the area industry & most people heat their homes with wood, even if only supplemental.

Some places that have been recently Clear cut logged (by 'recently', I mean within the last 5 or 6 years or so) the 2nd growth is so thick you need to be a rabbit to get thru it. Other places like where I'm now at the forest is more mature (meaning it hasn't been cut - either select or clear for decades) so the hardwood is really tall (60 to 100 feet high) with some oaks, maple & pine being as much as 3 feet in diameter with a broad canopy which prevents anything from growing underneath. Other places are somewhere in between so the overall forest is of varying age & stages of growth which also creates a mixture of wildlife as differing species adapt too the particular maturity of the forest in a given area.

Along with logging to manage the forest & wildlife, the Michigan Dept. of Natural Recources also use control burns in some areas. The last 2 springs ('18 & '19) about a mile from me they burned about a square mile worth of under brush. 4 years ago about 2 miles from me they clearcut 2 separate areas of about a square mile total that today is so thick with new hard & soft wood saplings you can't see 30 feet into it and when the leaves come out sight distance is about 5 feet.

Most all of the local loggers & local US & Michigan forestry peeps all know me because I've done so much land surveying in this area over the last 30ish years. I'm a Geodetic Engineer/Land Surveyor and have spent most of the last 30 years surveying large acreage wilderness tracts, recreational properties & hunt club lands in about a 5 county area most of which lies in the Manistee National Forest.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Yes, agencies are becoming lax with permits for nearly everything. One of my friends back home applied for a gun permit last month. Usually that takes a few weeks but she got it within 48 hours.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
View attachment 841887

Birds Eye view of Kamp Jonny Koon. "Big Brother" is watching.........
Yeah; it appears as if I'm quoting myself but really its a very late edit/addendum.
The reason my trailer & truck are soooo visible in this o''head shot is because I cut a bunch of trees to open an area in the forest canopy. This solved a couple issues.
One being some of the trees were in a position where a good thunderstorm wind could blow them down unto the trailer or the truck or both;
number 2 being I needed to open a decent hole in the canopy toward the south so I could get enuff sun photons to land on the solar panel for a long enuff time to get a good daily charge.
Number 3 it provided some firewood - a literal "Windfall"
There now that I've updated this I'll be able to sleep better at night. /s

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yesterday was a veritable heat wave as temps finally reached the mid 50's F. Average highs for this time of year are in the low 60's so still below normal but after much of the last 18 days seeming more like January complete with snow I'll take 50's. To repeat I usually prefer to retrun to Kamp Jonny Koon around May 1st as thats the time when spring weather backsliding into January/February winter weather is very much diminished. But..........

<<<<<<<--------------------take it frum a koon!

I've spent much of my life working in wintertime wilderness conditions which is a big reason why , today, I prefer Warm.

IMG_0744.jpg IMG_0743.jpg

Thats me (above) doing a stream meander survey, part of the Muskegon River Wilderness Basin back in Jan, 1995. Location about 4 miles North of my current location at Kamp Jonny Koon. Next year I won't be back till May - covid or no covid.

Reactions: Sela

·
Banned
5,408 Posts
Gorgeous day at Kamp Jonny Koon. Been spending it slicing up the wood logs I gathered this past week into kampfire length.

<<<<<<<------------------take it frum a koon!

View attachment 841855

And stacking it.
Geezuz. I hope that not so many of Koon in this world, for rain forest's sake. Hahahahaa

You're so, too, industrious.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
18 April was opening day of spring turkey hunting and for the last 10 days or so I've had to deal with some of the hunters driving around the trails and hearing shots off in the distance. Personally, I've never hunted the things, but don't get me wrong, I'm not against shooting them, I've just never bought a license/permit to make it legal and I've never ever gone out of my way to "bag a big tom turkey". A turkey to me is more of a "target of opportunity"; i.e. If I'm putsin around the Kamp and one of these things comes sidling along and I happen to start salivatin' about baked turkey fillets well I'm likely to grab the .22 rimfire and pop it in the head......... but its never like been on my "must have to do list".

<<<<<<<<---------------------take it frum a koon!

SOooo I've always kinda wondered about Turkey Hunters in the woods in search of the Mighty & Ferocious Tom Turkey. First off, they gotta use a turkey shotgun that typically costs anywhere from 500$ to 1000$ to shoot the fukin thing with. Then they've got to be clad in these 50$ to 200$ camouflage suits and 100$ boots so 's they blend into becoming "one with the woods", you know, I guess so a turkey like doesn't spot & attack them first and peck them to death. Then, they have all these different calls that mimic varying sounds & tones of Turkey Talk. Yep, evidently, its a real scientifically expensive "Great White Hunter/Indiana Jones" safari adventure...........

True Story:
About 15 years back I'm doing a wilderness survey for something and I'm in the middle of fukin no where NW Newaygo County, Troy or Beaver Township when a couple of these all decked out turkey hunters appear from the woods like apparitions. They're prolly in their late 20's, 30 at the most.
Whats going on? They ask me.
ME: Oh, I'm doing a survey and I've gotta traverse measure into a geodetic govt corner back there in the spruce.
them: OHhh. You gonna be long?
ME: I gotta do this job; I'll be workin around here, back & forth most of the day. Why? (Now i already knew "Why" but fun.....)
them: well, cause we're turkey hunting.
ME: OH, Really? you mean you guys hunt them things? You really hunt those things?
them: yeah, we're turkey hunting..........
ME: Guys, I don't know if you know it or not but , man, you can go right down to the nearest Wal Mart and buy them things for 99 cents a pound. Pick the right day and you get 2 for 1. They're all plucked & cleaned; some of 'em even have a lil plastic thing in 'em pops up & lets you know when they're done.

They got this look on their faces as they seriously did not know which way to jump that was like ," is this guy for real or is he just fukin with us?" Anyway, i left them standing there in the woods waved and said good luck huntin' I gotta get back to work.........

Reactions: Sela and AllOne

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Geezuz. I hope that not so many of Koon in this world, for rain forest's sake. Hahahahaa

You're so, too, industrious.
haha........

<<<<<----------------take it frum a koon!

I only mow down dead trees for the kampfire or live ones that are a threat to my trailer or I need photons to land on my solar panel. A week back or so I cut 2 10" diameter 70ish foot tall poplars down that were leaning toward the trailer and where I park the truck. I was concerned with them because I noticed that over the winter a pileated woodpecker had realy done a number on them - just about had them sawed in half and they were rotted on the inside with ants living in them which is why the woodpecker was so interested in the trees in the first place. I was like , yeah those 2 trees gotta come down before their leaves sprout out and become a huge sail for a T-storm to bring them down where they might do some major damage. They're green so I'll turn em into ash this fall.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I see several Ted Kaczinsky in the making...

:shocked:

Nah, just kidding. I deeply envious to you, o Lord of Beast. Please pardon my lost soul...
thanx, dude - I think...........

<<<<<<<-----------------take it frum a koon!

lol about the humorous comparison with the Tedly Man. I'm thinkin I really don't have tooo much in common with the guy. Unlike him I don't have a problem with modern technology or Humanity trying to take advantage with a healthy exploitation of our Natural Existence........
..........and also unlike him I'm really not much of an idealistic moralist and nowhere near anything like feeling as if I need to commit murder on academia in order to bring about my intuitive objectives of having a Jesus complex and "saving the world". Thaz NF shit man, idgaf.
Similar to him, tho, I do have a degree in mathematics tho I'm hardly a mathematical genius as was (is) Tedly K and we are both University of Michigan alums........

Reactions: contradictionary

·
Registered
INTJ
131 Posts
ME: Guys, I don't know if you know it or not but , man, you can go right down to the nearest Wal Mart and buy them things for 99 cents a pound. Pick the right day and you get 2 for 1. They're all plucked & cleaned; some of 'em even have a lil plastic thing in 'em pops up & lets you know when they're done.
I've used a line similar to this before.

My own objection to hunting is that we owe wild animals more habitat. Hunting is less cruel than factory farms and industrial meat production. However, we already use half the planet to produce food for humans. I'd rather see the acres of grain for livestock feed get converted into wildlife management areas.

About the snow: I just got back from a bike ride in South Dakota. Forgot that the Black Hills has a high enough elevation to still have snow. Bike ride ended early.
snow-on-trail.jpg

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've used a line similar to this before.

My own objection to hunting is that we owe wild animals more habitat. Hunting is less cruel than factory farms and industrial meat production. However, we already use half the planet to produce food for humans. I'd rather see the acres of grain for livestock feed get converted into wildlife management areas.
<<<<<<<---------------------take it frum a koon!

Interesting point especially when one factors in the amount of vegetation protein needed to produce the animal protein that people consume. The acreage used to produce that vegetation protein IF it were consumed directly by humans would be vastly less than whats required to grow and then feed to livestock that produces animal protein for human consumption. Beef & pork are really high in acreage needed to feed what murahkins eat in red meat. Simple economic effeciency - eliminate the middle animal..........

Personally I haven't eaten red meat for 30 years unless its been venison that I shot, I butchered, I cooked & I ate.

Reactions: AllOne and Sela

·
Registered
INTJ
131 Posts
Sorry if I hijacked your thread about Life at Kamp Jonny Koon.

So far, research has emphasized increasing crop yield per acre and producing faster, more efficient weight gain per animal. This methodology has supported chemical input, genetic modification, and dependence on human intervention. It also causes depletion of the soil, loss of genetic diversity, and pollution. Moral implications include unsafe living and working conditions for animals and people. Subsidies support grain prices (especially for large farms) and insurance kicks in for losses, making it profitable to keep growing feed for livestock, effectively supporting industrial meat production, which in turn is perpetuated by the USDA limiting inspection to slaughtering sites, those mainly being factories pressured to run faster (especially now because of Covid-related closures). It's not an admirable model of food production.

This is interesting reading about Joel Salantin and the Polyface Farm model:

Polyface Farm - We Are Your Clean Meat Connection

I mean, if we're going to continue to eat domesticated animals, there's a way to do it that can work toward preserving the land.

This is also a good documentary that tracks the seven years that it took to build an ecologically balanced farm.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts