Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Kindly state the names of the books which you consider as Life Changing Books?

Regards

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
My favorite book, obviously. Prometheus Rising - the mind's user manual.

Reactions: chanteuse

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
An INFJ lent me Shanghai Girls, I really liked it. She also likes The Bell Jar (Sylvia Plath, I think).

I like The Book Thief and A Thousand Splendid Suns (all the INTxs I know adore this book).

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
#1 is The Gospel of Thomas.

I like the Lambdin translation. Really short. You can read it in a couple minutes. Living words. Words to live by.

#2 is The Philosophy of Schopenhauer by Bryan Magee

Extraordinarily rich. Dense with insights and perceptions. It's like walking on a beach littered with jewels. Entire vistas and landscapes open themselves to me in Schopenhauer's presence.

If you want to unite Eastern and Western philosophy in your head, this is the book to read. Schopenhauer says in one of his notebooks: "I confess that I do not believe my teachings could ever have come about until the Upanishads, Plato and Kant were able simultaneously to cast their rays into one man's mind."

The sections on the aesthetic experience are a must-read if you're an artist.

Magee's book on Schopenhauer represents the current high-water mark of the Western philosophical tradition.

#3 is The Portable Jung edited by Joseph Campbell.

Available for free on archive.org. I think the process Jung calls individuation is as real and natural and dangerous a process as pupal emergence from the chrysalis in butterflies. There are many cauldrons one can fall into on the path and Jung has illuminated many of them for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Denial of Death by Ernest Becker

The More Beautiful World Our Hearts Know is Possible by Charles Eisenstein

The Bhagavad Gita. I read the translation by Eknath Easwaran.

Sex At Dawn by Christopher Ryan and Cacilda Jethá

These really affected me. So good.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
It depends on the age so I will mention the last ones

Marcus Aurelius' Meditations combined with the works of Arthur Schopenhauer (granted I haven't read everything).

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
“However, for the man who studies to gain insight, books and studies are merely rungs of the ladder on which he climbs to the summit of knowledge. As soon as a rung has raised him up one step, he leaves it behind. On the other hand, the many who study in order to fill their memory do not use the rungs of the ladder for climbing, but take them off and load themselves with them to take away, rejoicing at the increasing weight of the burden. They remain below forever, because they bear what should have bourne them.” - Arthur Schopenhauer

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
The works of Edgar Allen Poe

Mark Twain's works especially Roughing It

Charolette Bronte''s Jane Ayre

Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin Abbott

The Red Queen by Matt Ridley

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks (and his other books)

When Things Fall Apart by Pema Chodron

How could I ever forget my first love since I was 12 years old Grzimek's Encyclopedia of Ethology.

And the one I'm writing...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts