Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two months ago my ENTJ twin sister moved out to live on her own (or actually in a dorm room), which has left me living with just my parents who are both introverts (my dad's an INTJ and my mum's a ISTJ) and although I thought I would miss my sister I'm ashamed to admit that my life has actually become more relaxed with her out of the house. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I hate her or anything, but it's better to have her around for limited periods of time.

The house is much more 'tranquil' now that she's gone; usually me and my parents are all in separate rooms doing our things and from time to time one of us will initiate a conversation when we're together or when we bump into each other while looking for some snacks or something... And although there are certain moments at which we are all together in one room (during dinner or teatime for example) and during which we'll converse about politics, psychology, music, philosophy, our shared memories or some other interesting subject, we are usually alone for several hours at a time. It's amazing! I never thought I would come to enjoy my alone time even more than I already did, but nonetheless I do.

So, my question to you guys is: Do you also live in an introverted household and, if so, how do you like it? Do you also experience it as an introvert's paradise or do you wish there would be more extroverts around to spice things up? And how do you think an extrovert would experience such a household? Please do comment.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tranquil, but nothing ever gets done. =|
lmao That's not a problem here, my mother keeps everything incredibly clean and my dad always fixes all other things which need to be fixed... The only rooms that comes close to being messy are my bedroom and the computer room (which is where I spend most of my time), but they are not even that messy either. I can't understand how my parents can be this orderly and disciplined! It's probably because they are xxxJs though.

·
Registered
785 Posts
My father ESTP, my mother ISFJ, my older sister ENFJ. My younger brother never did the quiz, I think he is to young to be tested properly (he is 12 years old). So my house is pretty versatail... Debate is out of the question(S type ftw!)
... The reason is they hate it when I question their belifes with pure logic and they have nothing to say. I rly hate the fact I have no1 in my home to question and analyze with me. :/

My extroverted father and my sister are driving me crazy everyday about how I should go out more and do things that 'normal' people do.

I have more things to say here. But I think thats enough for today.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My extroverted father and my sister are driving me crazy everyday about how I should go out more and do things that 'normal' people do.
I have heard more INTxs complaining about family members who want them to be 'normal', these family members are usually extroverted and/or sensors. It really seems to be an issue to these family members, like it's a sin to be anything but normal. I can't really identify with your problem since I fortunately never had such family members, but I do sympathize with you... it must be hard for an INTP to have unsupporting family members. I hope you can somehow get through to them, so that they can actually understand your choices better and perhaps come up with criticism which is based on actual logical arguments rather than a vague measure like 'normality' and if they can't they should just support you...

·
Banned
140 Posts
The house is much more 'tranquil' now that she's gone; usually me and my parents are all in separate rooms doing our things and from time to time one of us will initiate a conversation when we're together or when we bump into each other while looking for some snacks or something... And although there are certain moments at which we are all together in one room (during dinner or teatime for example) and during which we'll converse about politics, psychology, music, philosophy, our shared memories or some other interesting subject, we are usually alone for several hours at a time. It's amazing! I never thought I would come to enjoy my alone time even more than I already did, but nonetheless I do.

So, my question to you guys is: Do you also live in an introverted household and, if so, how do you like it? Do you also experience it as an introvert's paradise or do you wish there would be more extroverts around to spice things up? And how do you think an extrovert would experience such a household? Please do comment.
God I envy that, especially the intellectually stimulating conversations you seem to share with your parents.
Only conversations I seem to share with my mom(my parents are divorced) seem to be smalltalk, or chitter chatter about random stuffed that happended to her during the day, to which I couldnt care less.
I personally like tranquil and much prefer limited social activity to lots of social activity around my home.
I dont like being around extroverts for prolonged periods, they demand social activity for stimulation, I dont.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My mother is an ESFJ, my father is an INTJ, and my brother is only six, so he's too young. ( I am ten years apart from my brother )
Anyways, my brother and my mother are almost exactly alike when it comes to personality, they are loud, out-going and extremely sociable.
The house can get loud a lot of the time, with my brother constantly bringing over like, 10 of his friends on a weekly basis.
And my mother likes to set up parties and get togethers with neighbours and friends, all the time.

But. When they're both out of the house and it's just me and my dad, gosh is it ever peaceful. :)

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
It's just me and my mum in the house - INTP and IxFP. She spends most of her spare time watching TV and I spend mine on my laptop. She's a self-employed complementary therapist (that's massages and stuff) and works at home most of the time, so the living room is off-limits a lot and I don't get to talk to her a lot. We always choose the worst times to try and talk to each other, but it can be quite good when we have conversations. Well, sometimes.

The complete lack of J in the house means we never get anything done, but my exams are coming up and Mum is trying to be some sort of 'authority figure' or something :crazy: and wants me to do all my homework and some revision before I go on my laptop at night. Fat chance. It doesn't look like it's going to happen.

·
Registered
761 Posts
ESFJ mom is very rowdy, always wants me to do more social things or just more. I get along well with my ISTJ brother, except i complain about him.. (in my mind) about his lazyness. I think my sister is xNFJ, sometimes she's nice..other times she's a total btch. My house is usually really noisy (too much arguing between mom and sis, or just my mom's non-stop talk) which can be a pain in the ass. Also, not enough privacy. :frustrating:

·
Registered
761 Posts
God I envy that, especially the intellectually stimulating conversations you seem to share with your parents.
Only conversations I seem to share with my mom(my parents are divorced) seem to be smalltalk, or chitter chatter about random stuffed that happended to her during the day, to which I couldnt care less.
I personally like tranquil and much prefer limited social activity to lots of social activity around my home.
I dont like being around extroverts for prolonged periods, they demand social activity for stimulation, I dont.
I totally second that

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
usually me and my parents are all in separate rooms doing our things and from time to time one of us will initiate a conversation when we're together or when we bump into each other while looking for some snacks or something... And although there are certain moments at which we are all together in one room (during dinner or teatime for example) and during which we'll converse about politics, psychology, music, philosophy, our shared memories or some other interesting subject, we are usually alone for several hours at a time.
*wistful*

that sounds awesome. I would have a completely different attitude about family if mine were like that. =\

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Yup...I came from a family of 5, all of us Thinkers but my mother, and all of us introverts but my youngest brother (an ESTP with an ISTJ father...hoo, boy, was that fun).

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I live in an 'introverted household'....ISTJ dad, INFJ mom, and an INTJ sister. I do think that I've always been more open to new experiences and things and whatever else. FYI, they're also much more socially demanding than I am.
And I think they all think I'm fucking nuts.

·
Registered
344 Posts
God I WISH I lived in a house like that. My ESTJ mom is horrible, always wanting to tell me about stupid shit I don't care about (her day at work, how X person is doing, etc.), and when I am unfortunate enough to get into a "deep" conversation with her, she can't see things from my POV. Oh, and she drinks a lot too; you can imagine how fun that is.

Actually, the other day she asked me if I had plans for the weekend (which I didn't). She tells me that I should make some plans, because she's having a party with her friends in my room (I live in the basement). Wonderful, now I have to clean up and hide all my philosophy/literature/educational books (since she likes to belittle me for fucking reading). It wouldn't be so bad if I could hang out with my friends (who she hates) without her getting mad.

Thank God I'm moving the fuck up outta that place in January.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Are you sure that has anything to do with here being an extrovert? My INFJ mom is the same, in many aspects.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have heard more INTxs complaining about family members who want them to be 'normal', these family members are usually extroverted and/or sensors. It really seems to be an issue to these family members, like it's a sin to be anything but normal. I can't really identify with your problem since I fortunately never had such family members, but I do sympathize with you... it must be hard for an INTP to have unsupporting family members. I hope you can somehow get through to them, so that they can actually understand your choices better and perhaps come up with criticism which is based on actual logical arguments rather than a vague measure like 'normality' and if they can't they should just support you...
Yea, its not easy for me at all... I can't feel anywere like at home because no1 understands me. Not in school, not in my neighbourhood, not at my house. Im pretty much obligated to be pretty introverted, because everytime I say something thats is either one of my interests or something I've observed and made the conclusion on everybody looks at me like im a freakin alien. And I rly feel like one pretty damn often.

If im in some social meeting I need to pretend to like all those things like sports, who did what with who, who cheated who and so on and so on.

In my 2nd and 3rd year of highschool I've been the clown of the class. Making jokes every time I can, pointing out the contradictions and being sarcastic. In that way I've made more friends and stuff, but it didn't feel natural to me, not to mention I was still being looked at like on some wierdo, but at least a wierdo thats fun hanging around with. But I still needed to go right to my room after school and watch some Cosmos or some other documentary on physics and the universe to feel even a bit satisfied with my day.

Now, im in my last year. Im more quiet, reserved, and I at least try to keep my attention on schools subjects, although I rarely ever study I am keeping my grades pretty high this year. This year we've started to study philosophy and when everybody couldn't understand a thing about what was the teacher sayin'
(i belive he could be an INTP as well) I was already arguing about some great topics like religion or the politics. And ofc, people see me as bigger wierdo then ever.

P.S. People have said me more then 100 times in my life (im pretty sure) That they haven't met any1 like me. (and i think they ment it in a negative way more then positive) Wierdo I get on a regular basis. Both in school and at home.

Athough its cools sometimes, its not easy to be Entropy...

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, I didn't expect there were so many of you who had frustrations or even problems living with extroverts... To be honest, even when my sister still lived at home, it was pretty peaceful here. It just has become even more peaceful now that she's only here one or two times a week. My dad even feels somewhat guilty for letting me grow up in such a protected and structured home; he thinks it might have been better for me if he had forced me to go out more as a child, although I think it could only have done me harm because I was bullied and picked on a lot (so I needed a place to recharge).

Yea, its not easy for me at all... I can't feel anywere like at home because no1 understands me. Not in school, not in my neighbourhood, not at my house. Im pretty much obligated to be pretty introverted, because everytime I say something thats is either one of my interests or something I've observed and made the conclusion on everybody looks at me like im a freakin alien. And I rly feel like one pretty damn often.

If im in some social meeting I need to pretend to like all those things like sports, who did what with who, who cheated who and so on and so on.

In my 2nd and 3rd year of highschool I've been the clown of the class. Making jokes every time I can, pointing out the contradictions and being sarcastic. In that way I've made more friends and stuff, but it didn't feel natural to me, not to mention I was still being looked at like on some wierdo, but at least a wierdo thats fun hanging around with. But I still needed to go right to my room after school and watch some Cosmos or some other documentary on physics and the universe to feel even a bit satisfied with my day.

Now, im in my last year. Im more quiet, reserved, and I at least try to keep my attention on schools subjects, although I rarely ever study I am keeping my grades pretty high this year. This year we've started to study philosophy and when everybody couldn't understand a thing about what was the teacher sayin'
(i belive he could be an INTP as well) I was already arguing about some great topics like religion or the politics. And ofc, people see me as bigger wierdo then ever.
This is all sounds so very familiar to me, like you're talking about my mirror image. The only thing that's different is that you are also misunderstood by your own family, that must be tough. I don't know whether I could survive socially if I was even misunderstood at home. I don't have any real friends left at school anymore (my best friend is already off to college), people think I'm weird because I openly criticise and disagree with teachers, it's like I'm living on a whole different plane of existence really. I also had a period in which I tried to be clownish in order to be more socially satisfied, but I stopped doing it after some time because it made me feel unhappy. I hope you find someone to talk with soon, it helped me a lot when I befriended this INTJ whom understood me and although I don't see him that much anymore, he's still a good friend. Just know that you are not alone, most INTPs face the same problems you are facing now.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Well I think both my brothers are extroverts, but they respect my boundaries and usually know when I just want to zone out. I like having extroverts around though because like the OP said it does spice things up. It brings different people into the house but sometimes (well most of the time) that's a bit of a bother but I know it's good for me so I try to get along. If I can't be bothered I just shut myself in my room so it's win win.
I couldn't imagine living in a house full of introverts as it's never been that way for me, maybe I'd enjoy it for a while but I reckon I'd get bored with the lack of flavour. It's probably why I tend to gravitate towards extroverts. I find them interesting to observe.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Wow, I didn't expect there were so many of you who had frustrations or even problems living with extroverts... To be honest, even when my sister still lived at home, it was pretty peaceful here. It just has become even more peaceful now that she's only here one or two times a week. My dad even feels somewhat guilty for letting me grow up in such a protected and structured home; he thinks it might have been better for me if he had forced me to go out more as a child, although I think it could only have done me harm because I was bullied and picked on a lot (so I needed a place to recharge).

This is all sounds so very familiar to me, like you're talking about my mirror image. The only thing that's different is that you are also misunderstood by your own family, that must be tough. I don't know whether I could survive socially if I was even misunderstood at home. I don't have any real friends left at school anymore (my best friend is already off to college), people think I'm weird because I openly criticise and disagree with teachers, it's like I'm living on a whole different plane of existence really. I also had a period in which I tried to be clownish in order to be more socially satisfied, but I stopped doing it after some time because it made me feel unhappy. I hope you find someone to talk with soon, it helped me a lot when I befriended this INTJ whom understood me and although I don't see him that much anymore, he's still a good friend. Just know that you are not alone, most INTPs face the same problems you are facing now.
Thanks for the support. I rly appreciate it.

My family doesn't understand me one bit. They see me as wierd and anti-social, my father sees me as the 'know-it-all' kid that can't even do his homework properly. Im in a better relationship with my mother. She worked with me when I was a kid a lot, so she can better understand why I have so much problems in school, she sees that my problem is motivation and the fact everything is so stupid and easy for me and that professors are giving me a hard time. Although she is accusing me of not trying hard enough to change it (she doesn't realize I firstly need to change my life philosophy to do that). My sister is cruel to me. Tellin' me im worthless often, saying that obviously noone loves me if I don't have anything to do better on friday after school than being on my computer. Yep, lovely place to grow up...

Only friends in highschool that I can sometimes talk about my interests are an ISTP (he has Ti so we are pretty similar), athough he is conservative, sometimes a bit primitive. But because he likes to think, and likes to listen, I think I've actually made a good impact on his way of thinking, making him a slighly more accepting of others. Other person is an ENTP, he was always full of ideas and he always wanted to discuss and argue about something. But it seems like he stopped doing that for what ever reason he is having. He also has a big ego so he hates when someone doesn't agree with him. And by far he hates the most when some1 calls me smarter then him xD. Not to mention its much easier for him to hang out with other people then me, due to his better developed F then mine is, and ofc the E part. So we are not as good now as we were before.

Anyways, going to school now! Later...

P.S. And yes, I was being emotionaly bullied in my primary school, because every1 knew I played computer games a lot and didn't like soccer. It was awful. Although im sure many kids have had much worse problems than mine.

Im actually being somewhat bullied right now in school. By some ESTJ/P guy from my class. He is dumb as hell, physical and I don't like him a bit. But he is not something like beating up me or anything. Just making fun of me as much as he could. But Im way more mature now than I was in primary school. So I rly don't care one bit. He never makes me mad or sad. I just find it ridiculous what he finds enjoyable.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts